“friendly hotel great rates and great staff”

Africa Centre Backpacker Guest Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Benoni
Africa Centre Backpacker Guest Lodge
Ranked #9 of 17 Specialty Lodging in Benoni
QLD
“friendly hotel great rates and great staff”
Reviewed August 17, 2009

small hotel near shopping centre staff are friendly can exchange USD into Rand easily. Hotel offers airport transfers. Restaurant seves simple cheap food. There is also a bar with fairly priced beer.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Business
Brussels
Reviewed August 10, 2009

We had a super bad experience there.

1. Free drop off and pick up to the shopping mall, except they forgot to pick us up! We had to call them and waited there from 18.00 (which was the agreed pick up time) till 20.30..
2. We made a booking for a Soweto tour and a visit to the lion park ( fee 1100 ZAR). However, the weather was really bad so the guide advised us to go to the “appartheidsmuseum” instead. He promised us that the balance of 500 ZAR would be refunded. We never got it back…
3. We made a reservation for a drop off at the airport at 5 in the morning – no driver to be found..

So we will never ever go back there!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank belgium28
Emsworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Luckily we only booked one night here, we definitely wouldn't go back! We arrived to be greeted by a very rude receptionist - clearly in the wrong profession! Our room didn't have any electricity on arrival (although this did get fixed). Rooms were incredibly basic and not at all inviting.

Fees for transport were very high - we shared a minibus into Johannesburg with 6 other people - they paid the same amount between the 6 of them that we were charged for the 2 of us (£70 return for a 15/20 minute journey!!) The driver even had the cheek to demand a tip on both journeys.

Glad that this hotel was an exception to the South African rule as our other hotel experiences around the country were fantastic.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HampshireTraveller09
Izmir, Turkey
Reviewed April 5, 2009

This is a cosy place with very neat decorations with African theme. There is a pool, sauna, pool tables, laundry services, secure parking etc. Buildings are painted with very warm colours which gives a nice ambiance. The property is in a very secure cul-de-sac (monitored with cameras). It is located near the airport which makes it a good choice if you are in transit (although the hotel broshures are a bit misleading about the distance to airport). Having said all these positive points, the reception was awfully unhelpful and rude. When we have buzzed the bell by the front door to get access with our car for the first time, apparently due to the problem in the buzzer, the bell repeated several times, which consequently cause the receptionist yelling at us at the intercom. Indeed this was a very unfortunate start, and when we told that we buzzed the bell only once, the receptionist was not apologetic. This bad start marked our experience in this hotel, and not getting the laundry at promised time did not help either. In contrast, the lady at the bar was nice and friendly.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Bahadir
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed March 15, 2008

I stayed here for one night and thought it was a great hotel. My room was very clean and the ensuite facilities were great. The staff at the front desk were helpful and friendly. My transfer back to the airport (note it is a one-way trip only that's included free) was on time and went smoothly. I had an amazing breakfast there. The only slight problem was my room service meal went to the wrong room! Otherwise a fantastic place to stay and I would book there again.

• Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
Inverness
Reviewed March 3, 2008

Maybe there's been a change in management since the previous reviews as we found the Africa Centre Guest Lodge a great choice for secure transit accommodation close to the airport. Certainly the word "backpacker" has been dropped from their name - our room (for 2 adults and 2 older children) was extremely comfortable and well maintained and was not at all expensive. Uplift from airport late at night and breakfast both included. Breakfast was fine. Small charge for drive back to the airport the next morning and too long to wait. But overall this was a decent experience - there's an inviting pool and the bar (friendly service) was open late.

• Liked — Secure
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 11, 2006

I arrived here late at night having reserved a single budget room. I was shown to a cold, damp, smelly garden shed that I wouldn't even keep tools in. When I complained, the staff looked genuinely understanding and said they had lots of complaints. They called the owner who told me I had to take the room or pay for a more expensive room. I thought their advertisement and website were very misleading and I wasn't prepared to give the owners any more money or prepared to find another place at midnight in Jo'burg!

I slept for a few hours in my clothes covering the mattress with my towel. I took their (expensive) airport transfer and left 5 hours before my flight was due to leave - glad to be out of the place. R300 to sleep in a garden shed!

Check the other reviews for the rest of the accommodation they have ...I didn't get to see them but avoid the budget rooms !

• Stayed March 2006