“Never got to stay here”
Review of MoAfrika Lodge

MoAfrika Lodge
Ranked #18 of 40 Benoni B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I had booked to stay at this lodge for a one night layover in Johannesburg. The representative met me late and told me to wait for another guest. Then another gentleman arrived, grabbed my suitcase and walked off while talking in a local language with the rep. No effort was made to introduce me to the other gentleman or offer an explanation for what was going on. I was bundled into a full van with other disgruntled guests who apparently were kept waiting for my arrival. When I presented my booking confirmation, confusion ensued. The lodge was fully booked and they did not have a room available; this despite my having e-mailed Anthony to confirm my booking and received a reply that all was in order. Finally, I was told that they were going to 'upgrade' me to a room in Club Safari. Although I was disappointed, I was satisfied to have a place to lay my head for the night. Then I was asked to wait while the driver had dinner. There is a cut-off time for placing dinner orders and it would have been gracious to be allowed to have dinner there since I had to wait for the driver.
Club Safari was very disappointing - see review. Although I'd have liked to have the MoAfrika experience, I am not going to risk booking it again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank MellowPet

Reviewed December 10, 2013

Stayed here for just one day after arriving in Johannesburg airport.
it's conveniently located, if you have a car or cab, but not so close you hear the airport.
it's basic, but the space you get is great, big bed, sleeps well, good shower. After a long series of flights it's good to relax on the first day. Pool is a bit basic as are the other amenities but it is value for money, you won't get it that good in Western Europe for that money!
Would i stay again, yes, sure, why not, it does the job. The owner, manager, or whatever he is was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank spamobile
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Second time i came to MoAfrika and it really felt like coming home. Great welcome by the friendly staff and the rooms are clean, spacious and comfortable. To me MoAfrika represents the true African spirit. It's not the place to spend days and days but it's a great stopover before and after a safari. The convenient airport transfers make the package a worthwile deal. When i have the chance i will definitely return. A big thank you to Andrew who is always on hand to assist with a big smile.
On the improvement side however...please make sure to stock some good south african wines, with the white one cooled.

Room Tip: Rooms 3,4 and 5 are especially good in terms of space and next to the bar.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tony J
Reviewed October 17, 2013

The place is away from everything. I had my own vehicle and when I returned in the early morning hours there was nobody at the desk or security at the large gate, thus I could not enter the premises and had to return in the morning which defeats the purpose of sleeping there.

Now for the good part:
Friendly staff, MoAfrika apologised, they refunded me, they let me check-in at 11h00 while the usual time for check -in was 15h00, Nice breakfast, received breakfast for free,

Suggestions to MoAfrika:
Get uncapped ADSL with a router and provide free wifi.
Either make it clear on your website there is no 24hour desk or let people know what hours the gate will be closed.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank intrepidtravellerSA
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Because the lodge is 10 minutes away from the city, the drivers and service vans play important roles in guests satisfaction. Drivers, cooks, receptionists and cleaning staff, all have smiles on their faces no matter how tired and busy they were. Our group of 8-guests share the same satisfaction and gratitude to the staff.

The other flaw (ex. wi-fi does not work) is over-shadowed by the many good attributes. We felt safe, well-taken cared of and well-fed. We enjoyed our stay. Mo Afrika Lodge even made arrangements so we can attend our church obligations while in JNB. What great service!!!

We are so thankful that we chose MoAfrika Lodge versus a City hotel. This lodge is nice, quiet and peaceful to relax, rest & sleep-in after 3-day-full of activities.
ND of Connecticut, U.S.A.

Room Tip: rooms # 1 to 4 which we occupied are all spacious and nice.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank NDctUSA
Reviewed October 4, 2013

When we first entered the driveway, I wasn't expecting too much since I was informed that the lodge would be in a farm. However, once I saw the lodge itself and the rooms, I got very excited. The rooms and beds were beautifully made and very spacious! The staff were very pleasant and I enjoyed the eggs and bacon every morning! We did have issues with the internet, but the front desk allowed us to use their computer just to shoot quick emails. Although it isnt a five star hotel you would expect in NY, what mattered to me was the rooms were beautiful and clean, the staff were helpful, and the food was great! Definitely a great South Africa experience!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank RM817
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and our 11 year old son arrived after dark. The guy was waiting for us at the airport after we found our luggage. However, it would be more helpful if he had a sign that said, "MoAfrika" on it--I just kind of asked around until I found the right person. He managed to get all of our luggage (6 weeks worth) in the small car (nice though). We arrived and were greeted by 4 huge rottweilers. Terrified at first, but they were harmless and soon we decided we needed to take one home with us. :) We were there in June and July or maybe it was 2 different times in June (earlier June and later June). Honestly speaking, we didn't see any other guests there when we arrived. We were given a key to our room and had help with our bags. It was very dark (even with lights on), very cold, and just gave us a weird feeling. My husband passed on dinner, but we were told we could go to the dining room and tell the cook what we wanted and he would make us something. My son and I both had chicken and fries and it was DELICIOUS...so we don't agree with all the bad comments we read about the food, we were pleased. Granted, it was dark in there, we were alone, we had coats on. Brrr...we went back to our room and my husband said, "Don't unpack, we are leaving in the morning." We didn't have ample adapters (plug ins), no light at desk, and intermittent internet. My husband was there to work (on business) and we had to have those things. I told him, let's just wait until morning, and see how we feel after a night's sleep. We had been up forever traveling from the US to London to Dubai to S. Africa. The next morning, I went to find someone to ask about the things we needed. I just kindly explained our situation and said I needed help. They were so accommodating. Immediately they found the power strips, adapters, lamps, everything we needed. Oh, and a space heater to help with the temperature since we were freezing. We were concerned about the lack of communication regarding food/meals/what is available, etc. There isn't public transportation or anything out that far and we didn't have a car. So, we decided we would rent a car. We felt kind of like "prisoners" in the sense that we couldn't go anywhere, didn't even have a vending machine, etc. We did, though, go for walks with those big dogs every day. Our son called them his "posse'"---funny. The location does seem to be in the middle of no where and it just felt awkward. We were given a free ride to the airport to rent a car (the transport guy had to go to the airport to pick up people anyway). Once we had a car, the adventure began for us! We felt like we could go to the store and get some more food instead of only what was available. I must tell you, we had NO problems with Andre's cooking or any of the other staff's cooking. The food was always good. Also, we were even able to pay the staff to do our laundry for us (since we didn't know where or how to do that in the area). We came back from a day trip (on our own) to find all of our clothes hanging out on the line. Yea! Clean clothes! It was incredibly reasonable and done well. Some of the staff played with our son, entertained his questions, and helped keep the younger, more playful dog away from him. As soon as one staff would stand up with a pool stick, the dog would leave him alone. So, from that point on, our son would take the pool stick with him when we'd go for our walks with the dogs. We even bought the dogs treats. They were wonderful. And, to be honest, I felt safer with the dogs there. If they barked, you knew someone was walking by. We enjoyed sitting on the deck in the sun (since we were so cold) and just hanging out and visiting. They were like family to us. We wished we could take them home. We realize that others are not so accepting of cultures that different from ours, but if people would just take time to speak to an individual if there is a concern, or try to learn more about how things work in the country or city or facility they are staying, then life would be so much easier for everyone. Sure, I agree with some of the comments on here, but we got nothing but EXCELLENT assistance here. We enjoyed speaking with the everyone. They work well as a team and were always pleasant. And guess what, by the time we left, there was a vending machine that sold drinks! :) They are always making improvements. This place was kind of a scary drive to get to and we had uncomfortable feelings, but I'm telling you, give it a chance. The memories we made while in South Africa and also at Mo Afrika are memories that would not be near as happy without the interaction of the people at Mo Afrika. Oh, one more IMPORTANT thing. Make sure you ask what the blue thing that looks like a key fob is and don't go messing around with it. It was on a end table next to the bed. Our son discovered it and we thought that someone just left it there--like a previous guest or someone. So, he was pushing around on it, noticing how it lit up when you pushed the button. He kept pushing it. He showed it to us. We talked about how those things worked. We took it apart and put it back together. Well, within about 10 minutes we heard dogs barking like crazy. We also were greeted with the biggest armed and uniformed man I've ever seen (tallest/strongest) banging on our door. We answered the door very hesitantly, it was a police officer. Oh my goodness. What a story to tell. Our son was pushing a "panic button" all that time and they thought something was wrong. The perimeter had been surrounded and secured and the police were knocking at our door. Quite a night! I think our son didn't go to sleep for about 3 hours after that. (And that was at like 11 p.m. at night! :) So, being informed about what the "panic button" was when we checked in would have been quite useful information. We have travelled all over the world and have never seen one of those. After that we slept much better--just knowing we had a "panic button" available was comfort. Oh, we were gone for a total of 6 weeks and the beds at Mo Afrika were the best beds we had the entire trip! So comfortable. We also had issues with dribbling water (hardly any water) once in a while--a couple of power outages--intermittent internet...but you know what! We had cement floors not dirt floors. We had food 3 times a day that was a good price and pretty darn good. We had the most friendly people helping us that we met on our entire trip. We had "in-house" pets--nothing like 4 dogs to entertain an 11 year old boy. We had a very reasonable rate for the duration of our stay. And, we met some very nice and interesting people who also stayed there. Everyone we met was wonderful. Apparently the owner has another property. He offered to give us a deal on a room there (a higher end place to stay) and we declined. We loved each of the individuals at Mo Afrika and didn't want to leave them. Oh, one more thing. Andre makes the best Malva Pudding in all of South Afrika. And, I found 3 recipes and combined them and made adjustments and made this when I returned to the states at my parents' house. It will now be something we serve each year at Thanksgiving Dinner. YUM! Thanks for Mo Afrika for helping us make interesting, fun, worthwhile family travel memories.

Room Tip: I think there might just be 8 rooms. I'm pretty sure we were in room 2. We were satisfied. It ha...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family