“CLEAN and spacious rooms. But it is the staff that impressed me most.”
Review of MoAfrika Lodge

MoAfrika Lodge
Ranked #12 of 36 Benoni B&B and Inns
Milford, Connecticut
“CLEAN and spacious rooms. But it is the staff that impressed me most.”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Because the lodge is 10 minutes away from the city, the drivers and service vans play important roles in guests satisfaction. Drivers, cooks, receptionists and cleaning staff, all have smiles on their faces no matter how tired and busy they were. Our group of 8-guests share the same satisfaction and gratitude to the staff.

The other flaw (ex. wi-fi does not work) is over-shadowed by the many good attributes. We felt safe, well-taken cared of and well-fed. We enjoyed our stay. Mo Afrika Lodge even made arrangements so we can attend our church obligations while in JNB. What great service!!!

We are so thankful that we chose MoAfrika Lodge versus a City hotel. This lodge is nice, quiet and peaceful to relax, rest & sleep-in after 3-day-full of activities.
ND of Connecticut, U.S.A.

Room Tip: rooms # 1 to 4 which we occupied are all spacious and nice.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank NDctUSA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Bronx, New York, United States
Reviewed October 4, 2013

When we first entered the driveway, I wasn't expecting too much since I was informed that the lodge would be in a farm. However, once I saw the lodge itself and the rooms, I got very excited. The rooms and beds were beautifully made and very spacious! The staff were very pleasant and I enjoyed the eggs and bacon every morning! We did have issues with the internet, but the front desk allowed us to use their computer just to shoot quick emails. Although it isnt a five star hotel you would expect in NY, what mattered to me was the rooms were beautiful and clean, the staff were helpful, and the food was great! Definitely a great South Africa experience!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank RM817
Kansas City
Reviewed September 8, 2013

My husband and our 11 year old son arrived after dark. The guy was waiting for us at the airport after we found our luggage. However, it would be more helpful if he had a sign that said, "MoAfrika" on it--I just kind of asked around until I found the right person. He managed to get all of our luggage (6 weeks worth) in the small car (nice though). We arrived and were greeted by 4 huge rottweilers. Terrified at first, but they were harmless and soon we decided we needed to take one home with us. :) We were there in June and July or maybe it was 2 different times in June (earlier June and later June). Honestly speaking, we didn't see any other guests there when we arrived. We were given a key to our room and had help with our bags. It was very dark (even with lights on), very cold, and just gave us a weird feeling. My husband passed on dinner, but we were told we could go to the dining room and tell the cook what we wanted and he would make us something. My son and I both had chicken and fries and it was DELICIOUS...so we don't agree with all the bad comments we read about the food, we were pleased. Granted, it was dark in there, we were alone, we had coats on. Brrr...we went back to our room and my husband said, "Don't unpack, we are leaving in the morning." We didn't have ample adapters (plug ins), no light at desk, and intermittent internet. My husband was there to work (on business) and we had to have those things. I told him, let's just wait until morning, and see how we feel after a night's sleep. We had been up forever traveling from the US to London to Dubai to S. Africa. The next morning, I went to find someone to ask about the things we needed. I just kindly explained our situation and said I needed help. They were so accommodating. Immediately they found the power strips, adapters, lamps, everything we needed. Oh, and a space heater to help with the temperature since we were freezing. We were concerned about the lack of communication regarding food/meals/what is available, etc. There isn't public transportation or anything out that far and we didn't have a car. So, we decided we would rent a car. We felt kind of like "prisoners" in the sense that we couldn't go anywhere, didn't even have a vending machine, etc. We did, though, go for walks with those big dogs every day. Our son called them his "posse'"---funny. The location does seem to be in the middle of no where and it just felt awkward. We were given a free ride to the airport to rent a car (the transport guy had to go to the airport to pick up people anyway). Once we had a car, the adventure began for us! We felt like we could go to the store and get some more food instead of only what was available. I must tell you, we had NO problems with Andre's cooking or any of the other staff's cooking. The food was always good. Also, we were even able to pay the staff to do our laundry for us (since we didn't know where or how to do that in the area). We came back from a day trip (on our own) to find all of our clothes hanging out on the line. Yea! Clean clothes! It was incredibly reasonable and done well. Some of the staff played with our son, entertained his questions, and helped keep the younger, more playful dog away from him. As soon as one staff would stand up with a pool stick, the dog would leave him alone. So, from that point on, our son would take the pool stick with him when we'd go for our walks with the dogs. We even bought the dogs treats. They were wonderful. And, to be honest, I felt safer with the dogs there. If they barked, you knew someone was walking by. We enjoyed sitting on the deck in the sun (since we were so cold) and just hanging out and visiting. They were like family to us. We wished we could take them home. We realize that others are not so accepting of cultures that different from ours, but if people would just take time to speak to an individual if there is a concern, or try to learn more about how things work in the country or city or facility they are staying, then life would be so much easier for everyone. Sure, I agree with some of the comments on here, but we got nothing but EXCELLENT assistance here. We enjoyed speaking with the everyone. They work well as a team and were always pleasant. And guess what, by the time we left, there was a vending machine that sold drinks! :) They are always making improvements. This place was kind of a scary drive to get to and we had uncomfortable feelings, but I'm telling you, give it a chance. The memories we made while in South Africa and also at Mo Afrika are memories that would not be near as happy without the interaction of the people at Mo Afrika. Oh, one more IMPORTANT thing. Make sure you ask what the blue thing that looks like a key fob is and don't go messing around with it. It was on a end table next to the bed. Our son discovered it and we thought that someone just left it there--like a previous guest or someone. So, he was pushing around on it, noticing how it lit up when you pushed the button. He kept pushing it. He showed it to us. We talked about how those things worked. We took it apart and put it back together. Well, within about 10 minutes we heard dogs barking like crazy. We also were greeted with the biggest armed and uniformed man I've ever seen (tallest/strongest) banging on our door. We answered the door very hesitantly, it was a police officer. Oh my goodness. What a story to tell. Our son was pushing a "panic button" all that time and they thought something was wrong. The perimeter had been surrounded and secured and the police were knocking at our door. Quite a night! I think our son didn't go to sleep for about 3 hours after that. (And that was at like 11 p.m. at night! :) So, being informed about what the "panic button" was when we checked in would have been quite useful information. We have travelled all over the world and have never seen one of those. After that we slept much better--just knowing we had a "panic button" available was comfort. Oh, we were gone for a total of 6 weeks and the beds at Mo Afrika were the best beds we had the entire trip! So comfortable. We also had issues with dribbling water (hardly any water) once in a while--a couple of power outages--intermittent internet...but you know what! We had cement floors not dirt floors. We had food 3 times a day that was a good price and pretty darn good. We had the most friendly people helping us that we met on our entire trip. We had "in-house" pets--nothing like 4 dogs to entertain an 11 year old boy. We had a very reasonable rate for the duration of our stay. And, we met some very nice and interesting people who also stayed there. Everyone we met was wonderful. Apparently the owner has another property. He offered to give us a deal on a room there (a higher end place to stay) and we declined. We loved each of the individuals at Mo Afrika and didn't want to leave them. Oh, one more thing. Andre makes the best Malva Pudding in all of South Afrika. And, I found 3 recipes and combined them and made adjustments and made this when I returned to the states at my parents' house. It will now be something we serve each year at Thanksgiving Dinner. YUM! Thanks for Mo Afrika for helping us make interesting, fun, worthwhile family travel memories.

Room Tip: I think there might just be 8 rooms. I'm pretty sure we were in room 2. We were satisfied. It ha...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank motive8now
Bath
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We stayed here for 3x days at the end of July. The place was friendly enough but there were some problems which did put a bit of a downer on this leg of our travels. The place was freezing and we had to resort to drying ourselves up each evening with the hair dryer!
The internet was a joke and only every worked for 5 mins at a time. Only eat the food here if you're desperate. It's not expensive but I'd rather have cereal than try and eat their cooked breakfast,

The rooms also look nice and the bed is comfortable. We did go on a Soweto tour which was brilliant and our tour guide was very professional and knowledgeable.

I'm sure there's probably better places in Jo'berg. Our travel company booked this one for us so we trusted that it was good.

Room Tip: Make sure the heating works if you are going in Winter!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ludwigsburg, Germany
Reviewed September 1, 2013

The lodge is close to the airport and the building itself is okay but gloomy. The beds are warm and comfty, the rooms cold and dark, nice bathrooms and hot water.
We stayed here one night, then travelled for 10 days and stayed again one night before flying home. We booked this hotel because transfer from and to the airport was offered.
The first time we had to wait for 2 full hours before we were collected. I had given my mobile phone number so we could be contacted if anything was wrong but nothing happened. We just waited and waited and had to asked ourselves whether they would still come. After 2 hours a driver came. His explanation was that he had to take some other guests to the lodge because they didn't want to wait for us. It takes half an hour to get to the lodge and back. We waited for 2 hours. Well...
When we left I talked to the receptionist and told him our flight number, carrier, date, arrival time and specifically asked to not wait that long.
The second time we waited for 2.5 hours. It was unbelievable. I had told the owner that I couldn't make calls because it was superexpensive to make calls in South Africa with a European phone. Finally I didn't see any other alternative than calling. And this is when the drama began. The owner told me that the driver had been there but we hadn't - which was simply a blatant lie. We had been standing at the appointed place for 2.5 hours. It was outrageous, really. Then I was told I should have called from the beginning - right! - We remember that I didn't want to make calls because of the costs... It was then that he told me I could have made a call from the information desk for free. Thank you for telling me AFTERWARDS.
Finally a driver made his way to us and took us to the lodge. The receptionist we had talked to 10 days earlier told us that he was so sorry. Perhaps I hadn't given the flight number to the lodge? I told him I did. Perhaps my e-mail didn't reach them. I told him I had talked to him IN PERSON, and he had written all the information down. Lies, lies, lies... We were so angry.
When we wanted to have dinner, rice was out, vegetables were out, beef was out, stew was out, African beer was out, tea was out. Aha. They advertise Internet access (we wanted to check in). Guess what - the Internet didn't work.
Bed sheets and towels had stains.
Never again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Dan831984
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Can't help but notice that some reviewers will always need a 5 star accommodation to be satisfied. No matter where in the world they go. Complain about soap? If you're looking for an amazing get away stop outside of Jo'burg this place is great. Very friendly and helpful staff. My friends and I stayed for 5 days before an Acacia overland tour. While it is a 20 minute ride into town the staff will provide transportation for very reasonable fares. The food was great( again, not a 5 star resort but good). The rooms are spacious and cozy. Great place to meet people from all over the world. Great community vibe.

Room Tip: Ask about tours of Jo'burg, Soweto!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marquis W
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We stayed here after arriving in the evening and drove ourselves, so can't address the airport shuttle. It is at the end of a dirt road outside of town, so you aren't in a good spot to walk to alternative dining or shopping areas. The hotel seemed to have a number of people staying here as part of a package tour or who had signed up for various tours.

The room was quite small. We were in one of the rooms just off the main lobby and the bathroom was so tiny that the door only opened in ~1' before hitting the toilet and you had to squeeze by to enter. It had a modern, glass sink, but was leaking beneath (I repaired it by hand-tightening the trap). The shower, on the other hand, was a nice-sized space with a glass wall, so at least the rest of the room stayed dry! They also provided a blow-dryer and there was a good-sized closet in the room. There was also a public bathroom/shower off the lobby if you needed it.

I see others have remarked about the cold. My friends in the other room discovered that the white flat panel that blends into the wall is in fact the heater! Would have been nice to know that in advance, but they provided a large and warm extra blanket that kept me comfortable overnight.

there were other rooms that seemed larger, but had sliding glass doors off the veranda. These may well have been the 'dorm rooms.' I found myself accidentally walking into someone else's room when I was trying to go to the restaurant!

Internet access poor in the rooms, fair in the public areas. You need to ask for the wireless password as they don't freely offer it. They also have a computer available for public use if needed. Some of the furniture was in poor condition - one of the chairs in the lobby had a chair that had one leg falling off. In the restaurant there is also a large sectional in the tv area.

Breakfast was included, was eggs, bacon, toast, yogurt, cereal. There were a few dinner options available. Soft drink options were limited, even had trouble getting refrigerated water. there were only a couple of tables, so you usually need to share the table with someone and sometimes it can be tough to find a seat.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benoni
Curiocity Backpackers
Curiocity Backpackers
#1 of 108 in Johannesburg
Africa Paradise - Airport Guest Lodge and Travel Centre
Summer Garden Guest House (The Palms)
Lakeview Boutique Hotel & Conference Center
Kopanong Hotel and Conference Centre
Outlook Lodge Lakefield

Been to MoAfrika Lodge? Share your experiences!