“Mixed experiences”

Africa Centre Airport Leisure Hotel & Guest Lodge
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Benoni
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stayed at this hotel based on my great experience staying here several years earlier. There was over an hour wait for the airport pickup, although the lovely owner offered us a free drink later as compensation, so that was fine!

Our room was noisy and quite smelly, although we had a nice hot shower and comfortable bed. It does seem a bit run-down from how I remember, although I think the room quality must vary as last time I stayed it was great (in a different section of the hotel). The TV was tiny.

The location isnt great as there is not much to do nearby. Apparently they offer a transfer to a shopping centre, although we didn't try this.

The meals and breakfast were good.

This place is saved by the absolutely outstanding barman.. when we arrived and were feeling quite unsure about the place, we sat at the pool and he bounded over to introduce himself, and made us feel right at home. He was so friendly and instantly made us feel comfortable. He was a wealth of information about where to go & what to see in Africa, writing down information for us. On the second day we asked where the nearest shop was and he walked us there and back! Absolutely brilliant guy who is a great asset to this hotel.

It is a pickup point for the Baz Bus so that is convenient if you are using this service.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AnnaCS

Reviewed August 22, 2012

I would not recommend this hotel as a place to stay. We stayed there 3 weeks ago and even though we were picked up from airport on time, we had to wait 10 hours for our room to be ready. We ordered dinner and waited 3 hours for it!! When the food did arrive, it was very nice. Most of the staff were very unfriendly, except for the bar man who went out of his way to help us. Even though it is relatively near the airport, there are alot of other alternative nice places to stay!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Roseanne N
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I have mixed views about this hotel on my 2 recent stays here. The staff vary from really friendly to rude and unhelpful, my fist room was dirty and smelt of cigarettes and a broken tv but my second room next door was clean and smelt great and all good! I got left at the shopping mall and when i called to see why they had not picked me up i was rudely told that they were too busy so i called again and got someone else who was really apologetic and said someone would be there in a few minutes! Ok for a stop over but dont expect a pick up at the airport - they did not have mine but did have someone else who was on the same flight! Breakfast each day was either really good or shockingly bad! The inconsistency will keep you on your toes!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed March 13, 2012

I have stayed here four times over the past two years and each time everything has gone very well. We need a place to stay by way of air flight schedules so the free airport shuttle is a must. The rooms have always been clean and though a bit on the small size they offer a good nights rest. Each time we have had dinner and breakfast and have been quite pleased with both. The staff has been courteous and the drivers have been excellent. It is moderately priced as well. All in all, it has met our needs. I give it a positive recommendation!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank kzarkzar
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Had time between transfers, so wife 3 kids and I used this for 7 hours and breakfast, I can't fault the facilities or the staff which for my stay where excellent. In terms of other world destinations it seems slightly overpriced. Still good staff from airport transfer to check in and restaurant

Verdict give it a go.

• Stayed: September 2011
Reviewed December 10, 2011

The hotel is located about 15km from the airport near nothing---no sights, no shopping, etc. They do offer a free airport shuttle. The hotel is about 40 minutes from the
Sandton area. The staff was very nice and they offer a relatively deceit breakfast. Since you are far anything you have no choice but to eat meals at their restaurant which offers average meals. The rooms are small, beds are uncomfortable and could be cleaner. The only reason that I stayed there was because I was starting a tour and for some reason they decided to pick this hotel. Also, the price per room is very expensive for what you get. I cannot see any reason for someone to want to stay here with so many other choices in Johannesburg.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed December 7, 2011

We arrived and stayed here to use the BazBus... which was a whole separate "Bad Idea"... The people who work at reception were extremely unhelpful. Although they were happy to book our bus tickets they refused to let us borrow the phone to book our hostel the following night that was also linked to the BazBus... they required that I pay R30 to make a phone call... what a joke! The room we had was right next to the bar which was very noisy. The room was okay but nothing special - the bed was uncomfortable and small for two people. The sheets were dirty and the towels torn. The included breakfast was sub-par at best. All-in-all it would have been better if the people working there were more helpful - when you are traveling around the world its the small gestures that make the biggest difference - such as making a local call to book a place since it was required for getting on the bus they book.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benoni
Towers Lodge
#2 of 5 in Benoni
Afrique Boutique Hotel Oliver Tambo
Road Lodge Carnival City
Africa Paradise - Airport Guest Lodge and Travel Centre

Been to Africa Centre Airport Leisure Hotel & Guest Lodge? Share your experiences!