“Charming”

Hobbit Boutique Hotel
Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Bloemfontein
Reviewed June 26, 2013

It is a trifle eccentric, so not for the straight laced, I found it still, last having been here 5 years ago - charming, delightful, service friendly & accommodating & efficient. Bloemfontein was always the backwater of South Africa, and still is. The Hobbit is on the forefront of dragging the city into the 21st century. Excellent breakfasts.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Derek J

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Arrived on a train at 430am and went straight to The Hobbit, where they let us check in straight away to get a few hours sleep before going about our days sightseeing. They even allowed us to have breakfast that morning, that we were late for, but they still accommodated us.

The room was clean and very big, with lounge area, bathroom and bedroom. Some of the furniture could probably do with a little tidying up.

The staff were very friendly and assisted us when required and arranged a taxi for us to the airport on our departure.

The location was ok and there are a few restaurants and bars nearby, but it was a bit of a walk into town.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Stephen M
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We stayed in the Elrond Room and it was fantastic. It was a beautiful, spacious room with a huge bathroom. Breakfast included a souffle omelette and delicious pancakes. We had drinks in the cozy bar and would stay here again without a doubt.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Theresa W
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Great stay, great breakfast and very friendly personnel.
My 1st option when I go to Bloemfontein again.
What value for money. Felt welcome from the first moment.
The rooms are old style, clean and has a great feel about it.

Room Tip: A must if you enjoy the antique feel. We loved it.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Francois G
Reviewed April 5, 2012

This was a very surprising find for me in a city where impersonal modern hotel chains are more expected. Very charming, quirky and romantic. I had a lovely suite with authentic Victorian furniture. I know not everyone will have the same experience I had: but the young university student on night duty was delightful and extremely helpful. Not only did he provide company but he introduced me to everyone else in the small bar. It ended up feeling like I was staying with a family. I did think the rate was pretty pricey when I checked in but when I was checking out, the lovely owner decided she'd only charge me half-price. Now that really is my kind of hotel!!

Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank UKTVPRODUCER
Reviewed September 20, 2011

The staff were great. The gave me a room with a bath. Victorian rooms with aircon , Coffee and TV. The breakfast was great hot and cold. I did not even sign in on my arrival , they took me straight to the room and I only paid the account when I left this morning.

Room Tip: Ask for a bath or shower. They even made me filter coffee while a group of us arrived for a busines...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Natasja F
Reviewed July 17, 2011

I had heard that the Hobbit was past it sell by date. I was very pleasantly surprised though. Peaceful, quiet, warm ( good for July) and the service was superb. Breakfast was one of the best I've experienced, thanks largely to Thabo who was as warm a host as you can get.

• Stayed: July 2011