“Awful food plenty of traffic noise”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Bloemfontein
Reviewed May 7, 2013

While the hotel had a lovely ambiance and good staff which made me hopeful the food is seriously among the most awful I have encountered. One paid almost R200 for the evening buffet which consisted of cold "roast" potatoes and other over cooked mushy yucky vegetables. Nothing wrong with the ingredients but absolutely nothing done with anything approaching love. All that fresh beautiful food just hammered to a pulp by seriously disgusting cooking. I see I am not the only one to comment on the awful food and traffic noise. What is the point of all this abundance of food that is just poor poor poor? Rather do small simple things really well. I understand that the hotel has a certain clientele that may value quantity over quality but I will definitely not go back because I cannot eat anything there. Take the breakfast service. Usually impossible to mess up even for the dingiest hotel. "crispy bacon" was a steamed mess of sogginess.

Room Tip: If you dont' care about food and don't mind traffic noise the hotel is fine. Clean.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear 126hungry

Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention via TripAdvisor.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel ambiance and that the STAFF made you feel at home.

I am disappointed to hear of your experience with our food and beverage facilities. I have had an urgent meeting with the TEAM to assess the issues raised and implement a plan of action to rectify them all. I am truly sorry that you were so unhappy and appreciate your feedback, which will assist us to improve where necessary.

Please feel free to contact me directly at gm@phbloemfontein.co.za to discuss this further.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

We spent a single night in this hotel prior to the Free State University Open Day. We had a very comfortable stay. The room was well appointed and for three of us the the 2 double beds were perfect. The lounge and dining areas are very comfortable, and the look onto the pool area makes it all very appealing. The location is very central and easy to find in Nelson Mandela Drive. The University is located directly across the road. A single disappointment was the price of breakfast. At R155 per person this is a bit steep. Otherwise a very comfortable stay.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GysMac
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear FergusMcloskey

You definitely chose the best place to stay when needing to visit the University, which is located right opposite Protea Hotel Bloemfontein.

The rooms are spacious and, just as you said; there was enough space for the two double beds and three people staying in the room. I am glad that you were comfortable during your stay and that the pleasant surrounding and views added to this.

Our breakfast consists of a large selection of fresh dishes; both hot and cold. This selection, in conjunction to comparisons with nearby establishments, is the reason for the current breakfast price. I do apologise if you found this steep and welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you directly at gm@phbloemfontein.co.za.

I look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

This was my second stay at this hotel and the location is great, it's just difficult to find on the iPhone 5 maps. The rooms are nice, neat and clean and provision is made for the cold winterish weather with great extra blankets. The food is good and room service quick. The only problem is that the hotel is quite noisy. I left a pair of expensive earrings at the hotel and they called me to advise me that they had found them - I was so pleasantly suprised and thrilled that they phoned me. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank MichalJ448
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Dear MichalJ448

Thank you for your support of Protea Hotel Bloemfontein and sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor.

We are big fans of getting cosy for the winter time and I am so happy that the extra blankets helped in this regard. I will, however, be looking into the concern you raised about the noise as I understand that this is not ideal for the GUESTS.

Safety and security of GUESTS and their belongings are very important to us and it is reassuring to hear that your earrings were taken care of and the STAFF contacted you to collect them. I will commend their STAFF on their efforts.

I am sure we will welcome you again soon and please be sure to pop in and say hi.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Stayed there en route back to JHB. What a really inviting impeccable Hotel. The service was outstanding and all the Staff helpful and professional. The Rooms nicely decorated and beds really comfortable. Downside was the Restaurant, although the service was fantastic the Al a carte menu was shocking, the food absolutely awful with uncooked chicken and lumpy mashed potato!!!!! Breakfast Buffet was much better (if you can eat a lot first thing in the morning)but the price per person was extremely steep.
I would still however recommend this hotel to anyone!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Dear Devker

Thank you for bringing to my attention the concerns regarding our F&B Department and the lack of quality in our food being served.

We understand the importance of providing a positive all round experience for all our GUESTS. I would therefore like to assure you that this is being addressed in a very serious light and the necessary action is being taken. It is pleasing to know that our fresh breakfast offering was to your liking.

The STAFF is at the heart of the hotel and its operations. I am so proud and happy to hear of their outstanding service with a helpful and friendly approach.

We will continue on our search for excellence in all aspects of the hotel.

Thank you for your recommendations and I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

I can't praise this team enough. What a great stay I had, AGAIN. Thank you so much for making me feel like a part of your family. So sad to say goodbye to Jeffrey, but no great to say hello to Godfrey. Frans, my dear friend, it was so nice to chat to you at breakfast on my last day. This team is tops.

Room Tip: Loved room 220, just a bit noisy due to SAB partying, but that was okay, they enjoyed themselves. P...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear Michele B

Thank you for your support of Protea Hotel Bloemfontein and for your wonderful review.

Our STAFF love to welcome all GUESTS into the Protea Hotels family and ensure that they receive personal attention during their stay. I am thrilled to hear that Godfrey and Frans have made an impact during your stays and I will definitely commend them on their efforts.

I apologise for the inconvenience with regards to the noise on Friday evening. We had a group staying with us and on return they caused a slight disturbance. Thank you for your understanding.

From the TEAM, we look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed here with colleagues en route from Lesotho to Grahamstown. The hotel is close to the city centre and opposite the university. When we arrived the weather was 39 in the shade, so very hot and the lovely pool was really needed.

rooms are large, colonial in style with bath and shower. Free wifi is available throughout the hotel upto 100 MBs. Staff were really friendly and helpful. I have stayed in the Protea Willow Lake and this is by far a better offer with lots of room and sense if space throughout the hotel. Would certainly stay here again when next passing through Bloemfontein.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank binnysays
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear binnysays

What a great review and thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor.

There is nothing better than a quick dip on those hot summer days and I am happy that you made use of the swimming pool.

Extra space is always welcomed when travelling and access to Wi-Fi is a must. Both are part and parcel when staying at Protea Hotel Bloemfontein as you experienced.

I will most definitely be commending the STAFF on their continuous effort to offer the best GUEST service.

I hope you have a safe trip back home.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

the protea is a good address in bloemfontein. pricing is fair and i would rate it as a 3,5 star. reception and maintenance are OK. our room was impeccable, the room service does really a great job.

on the downside is the dinner menue and the cocking. it's the 2nd time we were in a protea-hotel within 3 weeks and what a surprise the menue was absolutely the same and the food had the absolutely same taste. what brings up the idea, the food is centrally pre-cocked and delivered just to warm up. can that be ?!?
unfortunately the food quality is hard on the edge of "just acceptable". for such a hotel-(chain) it's a shame and a necessaty for URGENT improvement.

on the other hand, the breakfast buffet was a positive surprise, allmost overdoing things. it comes with a relatively stiff price, but one gets what one pays for, if you can eat that much in the morning...

would choose the hotel again but without dinner-improvement would rather go into mac donalds around the corner.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear pedrowei

Thank you for your constructive comments and the time spent to write a review on TripAdvisor.

I would like to apologise for your below par experience during your dinner at the hotel. We take pride in offering quality in all that we do and I will be meeting with the Executive Chef to address the taste and quality of all menu items. However, I must reassure you that food items are not prepared in a central kitchen and simply reheated. Protea Hotels have standard dishes on the menu and individual hotels add their own signature menu items; all of which are cooked fresh and on-site.

Your positive feedback regarding the breakfast buffet is pleasing to hear and I am glad that you were able to experience the quality we are usually proud to offer.

I welcome the opportunity to host you again so that you can experience Protea hospitality and dining at its best.

Have a safe trip back to Zurich and a Happy New Year.