“Home from home”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein
Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Bloemfontein
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I can't praise this team enough. What a great stay I had, AGAIN. Thank you so much for making me feel like a part of your family. So sad to say goodbye to Jeffrey, but no great to say hello to Godfrey. Frans, my dear friend, it was so nice to chat to you at breakfast on my last day. This team is tops.

Room Tip: Loved room 220, just a bit noisy due to SAB partying, but that was okay, they enjoyed themselves. P...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Dear Michele B

Thank you for your support of Protea Hotel Bloemfontein and for your wonderful review.

Our STAFF love to welcome all GUESTS into the Protea Hotels family and ensure that they receive personal attention during their stay. I am thrilled to hear that Godfrey and Frans have made an impact during your stays and I will definitely commend them on their efforts.

I apologise for the inconvenience with regards to the noise on Friday evening. We had a group staying with us and on return they caused a slight disturbance. Thank you for your understanding.

From the TEAM, we look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed here with colleagues en route from Lesotho to Grahamstown. The hotel is close to the city centre and opposite the university. When we arrived the weather was 39 in the shade, so very hot and the lovely pool was really needed.

rooms are large, colonial in style with bath and shower. Free wifi is available throughout the hotel upto 100 MBs. Staff were really friendly and helpful. I have stayed in the Protea Willow Lake and this is by far a better offer with lots of room and sense if space throughout the hotel. Would certainly stay here again when next passing through Bloemfontein.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank binnysays
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Dear binnysays

What a great review and thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor.

There is nothing better than a quick dip on those hot summer days and I am happy that you made use of the swimming pool.

Extra space is always welcomed when travelling and access to Wi-Fi is a must. Both are part and parcel when staying at Protea Hotel Bloemfontein as you experienced.

I will most definitely be commending the STAFF on their continuous effort to offer the best GUEST service.

I hope you have a safe trip back home.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

the protea is a good address in bloemfontein. pricing is fair and i would rate it as a 3,5 star. reception and maintenance are OK. our room was impeccable, the room service does really a great job.

on the downside is the dinner menue and the cocking. it's the 2nd time we were in a protea-hotel within 3 weeks and what a surprise the menue was absolutely the same and the food had the absolutely same taste. what brings up the idea, the food is centrally pre-cocked and delivered just to warm up. can that be ?!?
unfortunately the food quality is hard on the edge of "just acceptable". for such a hotel-(chain) it's a shame and a necessaty for URGENT improvement.

on the other hand, the breakfast buffet was a positive surprise, allmost overdoing things. it comes with a relatively stiff price, but one gets what one pays for, if you can eat that much in the morning...

would choose the hotel again but without dinner-improvement would rather go into mac donalds around the corner.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Dear pedrowei

Thank you for your constructive comments and the time spent to write a review on TripAdvisor.

I would like to apologise for your below par experience during your dinner at the hotel. We take pride in offering quality in all that we do and I will be meeting with the Executive Chef to address the taste and quality of all menu items. However, I must reassure you that food items are not prepared in a central kitchen and simply reheated. Protea Hotels have standard dishes on the menu and individual hotels add their own signature menu items; all of which are cooked fresh and on-site.

Your positive feedback regarding the breakfast buffet is pleasing to hear and I am glad that you were able to experience the quality we are usually proud to offer.

I welcome the opportunity to host you again so that you can experience Protea hospitality and dining at its best.

Have a safe trip back to Zurich and a Happy New Year.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

This is definitely not a 4* hotel - it is in urgent need of upgrade. Firstly the bed you can feel the springs (we stayed for 5 nights in room 211)

At breakfast we tables always missed something and on delivery of say tea or porridge the milk was over looked or no spoons were available and we had to look again for assistance, on many occassions no staff were around to ask

The overall hotel walls and bathrooms need re-doing e.g. our basin is cracked and the walls and skirting are tatty....

We often had to ask housekeeping to bring us something e.g. toilet-roll, shampoo, tea bag, as it was not replenished or not there in the first place. I hasten to add however that once I put in my complaint it was very quickly dealt with, in fact the fastest response I have ever experienced from a hotel. Yes on the plus side the reception staff are very helpful and friendly, a credit to any establishment as well as the housekeeping response staff. The evening dinning staff were a breath of fresh-air compared to the breakfast attending staff

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
HeatherPoulsen, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear Marcelline57

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to measure if we are meeting our GUESTS' expectations and we are grateful for your comment posted on TripAdvisor. Without your comments, we would never know what we are doing right, but more importantly what we are doing wrong.

The standards of the Food and Beverage service you received are definitely below par and I extend my apologies. However, I am happy to hear of your pleasant experience during your dinner at Protea Hotel Bloemfontein.

Please be assured that I have addressed the issues you raised with the Housekeeping and Maintenance TEAMS and will continue to monitor them.

I look forward to personally welcoming you back when you next visit us in Bloemfontein.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

It was a wonderful experience, friendly staff and neat, food was excellent and the environment was user friendly.

Room Tip: choose the one fits your need
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
HeatherPoulsen, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Bloemfontein, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2012

Dear tintswalo s

It is always a wonderful feeling to get such a positive GUEST response. I will be sure to pass on the compliments to the TEAM at Protea Hotel Bloemfontein.
We do hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back to the "City of Roses" and Protea Hotel Bloemfontein in the not too distant future.

Thank you.

Reviewed July 1, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights for business with 3 colleagues and we had booked 3 rooms.

On arrival at the hotel we were 3 hours before normal check-in time and our rooms were not ready, however the hotel reception and room staff prioritised our rooms and within 30 minutes they were ready. This was greatly appreciated after 15+ hours of travel.

The reception staff were all very polite and efficient, the hotel lobby is smart and clean and the porters were helpful and prompt to deliver luggage to our rooms.

We had all asked for double beds but for whatever reason, only one bed was a double with two rooms having twin beds (which could not be pushed together). This is the only real gripe I have about the hotel, they could of apologised or explained this as we checked in.

The rooms were clean, as we'd arrived in Winter they were absolutely freezing but the porter explained and set up the aircon to warm the room.

The rooms were functional, with a small desk / wardrobe / TV + table / hair dryer and a safe in the wardrobe. I didn't use the safe as when tested it appeared to react very slowly and I didn't want to take the risk of waiting to get it reset to use. It might have been a tired battery but I didn't report it and thus can not complain about it.

My room was at the end of a corridor and very quiet, all floors were carpeted.

There was a good choice for breakfast including the egg station, the coffee wasn't to my personal preference but plenty of other drinks available. I did not eat in the restaurant so can not comment other than it looked very presentable.

All the staff were very friendly, the hotel was clean and efficient. Location was good, taxi's numerous and we used to eat down in the Waterfront and wonder up through some local bars.

Room Tip: My room was at the end of a corridor and very quiet, a colleague had a room mid-corridor (which had...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank OneWayorReturnPlease
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Thank you so much for a wonderful stay. Food was excellent!! Staff more than friendly!! Management is far above the best! Ideal place for a king an queen to stay!!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business