“A bit too expensive” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in Bloemfontein
Linkoping, Sweden
“A bit too expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2013

The location is very good, next to the zoo. That means you can see zebras, ostrich, wildebeasts etc from the hotel garden. The interior design is very good, nice colours and some unusual pieces of art. Nice and very helpful staff. But the swimming-pool is really crap. It's very small and on our visit it was a bit dirty. We had the dinner buffé and were not impressed. It is a lot better to go to the nearby mall and eat at one of the restaurants there. In short a nice hotel but a bit expensive and eat somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMWillowLake, Manager at Protea Hotel Bloemfontein Willow Lake, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear MargarethaN

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback regarding your stay at Protea Hotel Willow Lake.

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure whether or not we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS expectations, and without comments, we would never know when we are doing right, but more importantly, when we are doing wrong.

I must agree with your – Protea Hotel Willow Lake has an ideal setting being part of the Bloemfontein zoo, also a lovely designed Hotel, and we are extremely proud of our product.

I do apologize that you did not have a good dining experience. We do offer buffet most of the evenings, however over weekends we do offer an A la Carte menu, which would have most probably be more to your liking.

Thank you once again for your feedback, and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

GENERAL MANAGER

Tel : 0514125400
Fax : 0514125404

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Midrand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013

....the room service menu...like three dishes 4 dinner ? like seriously ? cocktail menu @ the bar...four cocktails options ?

I give up...but b4 I give up...my advice is please add some variety on those menus...its not prison...otherwise make an option like giving vouchers so that we can "eat-out", if you guys cant keep up with the demands...

Room Tip: its called "Willow Lake" but I didn't actually see any lake....
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Kele2013
GMWillowLake, Manager at Protea Hotel Bloemfontein Willow Lake, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Kele2013

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure whether or not we are meeting or exceeding our GUESTS expectations, and without comments, we would never know when we are doing right, but more importantly, when we are doing wrong.

We do review our menu’s on a quarterly basis, and I want to thank you for your constructive comments regarding adding more variety on our menu’s. Will definitely take this into consideration when re-doing our menu’s again.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Have a lovely day further.

GENERAL MANAGER

Tel : 0514125400
Fax : 0514125404
Johannesburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

Only having a 1 night stay in Bloem meant that all I really needed was a decent place to sleep. This hotel is simple and modern and is very basic. The room was extremely small and the bathroom is part of the room (rather than being separated). If I had to have stayed for longer it may have been a little confining, but all the amenities were fine and the place was clean. The staff were incredibly friendly but a little inefficient. I was most impressed when after dashing back to the hotel after a very early meeting, the breakfast had been closed but the chef was quite prepared to whip up a plate of hot food. This is not a place of luxury or fine dining, but it is well-situated, clean and suitable for short-term business stays.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms face the zoo. If you want a glimpse of the wildlife, request one of these.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Bloemfontein Willow Lake, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear FussyOz

The design of the room is meant to give the GUEST more space to relax and I am sorry that you did not enjoy the layout.

I am pleased to hear that my STAFF were friendly and assisted your where possible – nothing less is expected from them. I will congratulate them on their efforts.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Tramore, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

Having read some reviews I detect a pattern about this place.well situated ,classy on the outside
But incredibly substandard at point of delivery in service areas.
The restaurant is the worst I have experienced in quite a while.
Totally disorganised and disinterested.rubbish food.

3 Thank Hugh H
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Bloemfontein Willow Lake, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Dear Hugh H

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor.

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that we not only meet, but exceed all our GUEST’s expectations.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the lack of service you received in the Restaurant, as this is not the service and standard we are usually proud to offer our GUESTS’s.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss this with you further so i can rectify the concerns raised. My e-mail address is gm@phwillowlake.co.za.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies, and I am looking forward to your additional feedback.

Brisbane
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed for one night in October. Located in the Bloemfontein Zoo the hotel on first appearance is luxurious and classy. This continues throughout the foyer, gardens and rooms. The reception staff are a mixed bag - helpful and friendly but quite slow. And there was definitely a mix-up with my room allocation as there was a welcome-back message waiting for someone else when I got to the room. But after a long hot drive from Oudtshoorn it was good to have arrived.
However, the ability to wander just metres from the room and see eland, zebra, wildebeest and oryx was wonderful. The gardens and grounds are beautiful and the rooms are comfortable and well-appointed. Be prepared though, the glass shower area next to the bed might be a bit disconcerting and doesn't afford much privacy. The shower itself was quite luxurious though - generous shower rose, good water pressure and large shower area.
The buffet dinner had a good variety of food and breakfast was substantial.
The only thing that marred the stay was loud music being played just across the garden area from my room until late into the night.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the communal area where functions may be held. Don't know if my experie...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Bloemfontein Willow Lake, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear CheetahgirlBris

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor.

It is always great for me and my TEAM to know that we have met our GUESTS expectations. However, please accept my sincere apologies for being allocated the incorrect room on you arrival. This was unfortunately an over site on our side and your feedback will assist with ensuring this does not occur again.

Our unique location leaves one feeling as if they are not in the city and I am so glad that you enjoyed it so much.

The noise you heard from across the garden was from the “Macufe Jazz Festival”, which is an annual event in Bloemfontein.

Once again thank you so much for your comments, and I am looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Paris, France
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

Useless Reception staff took half an hour to allocate a room as at 14h30 they did not have rooms ready. Breakfast was the same. I am still waiting for an omellete. They cannot cope with people.

Food is sub-standard and looks like it has been on those counters for days.

Avoid. Rather go to Southern Sun across the road, where staff are efficient and food is fresh

Room Tip: Another hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Jon T
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel Bloemfontein Willow Lake, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Jon T

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor.

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that we not only meet, but exceed all our GUESTS’ expectations.

I was disppointed when I read your comments, as this is not the service and standards we are always proud to offer. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused, and I will definitely follow up and correct these concerns with my Management and STAFF.

We need to know when we have done right, but more importantly, when we have done wrong as well. Your feedback has therefore been truly invaluable to us.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies, and please contact me direct on gm@phwillowlake.co.za for any further assistance.

Cape Town, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Over a period of time I've given this establishment a few chances to really show me that they understand service and I'm sorry to announce that they don't.

An example is whenever the super sport staff stay there, no other hotel guest is able to guest is able to get any sleep and when this is highlighted to reception, nothing is done. This is rediculous as clearly we are doing business travel and need to be productive.

If you raise a complaint about your room, they move you and your belongings without warning so you go to the room and your key doesn't work.

Empty promises and apologies get made by management but this is very reactive. Not enough training and focus on management is given.

Room Tip: Make sure to choose a room not facing teh main road, there is a blue spot light that actually will d...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Ronda Monique P
Dear Ronda Monique P

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor community.

I am extremely sorry for the noise levels and the way in which they affected your stay. I will definitely raise your concerns with the relevant parties and will monitor this very closely going forward. Unfortunately we do sometimes have noisy GUESTS at the Hotel, however the STAFF and Management will be provided with additional training on managing this correctly.

Once again please accept my sincere apologies, and I would be honored to have you back as a GUEST at Protea Hotel Willow Lake – Bloemfontein.