“Life Changing Experience - Really”
Review of Tiger Canyons

Tiger Canyons
La Jolla
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Life Changing Experience - Really”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

My wife and I had an opportunity to spend an entire day at Tiger Canyons with Joh Varty (JV) the owner of this wonderful experiment. Our initial reason for the visit was to get an opportunity to see and photographic the magnificent tigers living in the wild on this private game lodge. But our visit turned out to be so much more. Spending a day with JV an experiencing his passion for these big cats and the herculean efforts he is putting forth to save them was inspiring. Yes we saw lots of tigers living in the wild, even saw a tiger run down and kill a prey animal, and yes we got fantastic photos, but most of all we learned what an opportunity to save the tigers might look like. Many years ago we visited the Tiger reserves of India and were fortunate to see some tigers but the views were often difficult and far away as tigers there fear humans (rightly so). Sadly tigers continue to decline and JV's efforts to try something completely different to save the tigers is noteworthy. I don't know if this grand In-situ experiment will work but I strongly encourage people to visit the camp and stimulate the local economy and the park so that it may succeed. It may very well be the last chance to save the Tigers and a diverse genetic pool so that when land becomes available more tigers can roam free, even if it is not in the continent which they were from. I will try to come back later and post some photos.

Visited November 2013