“Concrete jungle”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Savoy and Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Mthatha
Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

We had to come through to Mthatha for business over easter weekend. I usually stay in a B&B, but in a weak moment I made a booking at Hotel Savoy Mthatha.
The room and bathroom was neat enough, but that was the least of our problems.

Our problem was the fact that the other guest staying there, had ZERO respect or consideration for other people staying over. And apparently Savoy Mthatha didn't care either. It felt like we had managed to get ourselves a bed in the middle of a concrete jungle.

We needed to get up early the next morning to do our work so we got to bed early. Instead of getting a good night's rest, we spend most of the night - until about 2h30 am, listening to our extremely noisy and drunk neighbours. It wasn't just one room, but it seemed like the entire floor level was having a party outside in the parking lot and inside their rooms. People were talking loudly and laughing and screaming and the tv was full volume. There was also loud music being played from cars outside in the parking lot. If it had not been late, I would have asked for a refund and found myself another place to stay.

This type of rowdy and completely selfish behaviour of guests is 100 % unacceptable. We called front desk to ask if we could please be moved, but we were told that security would quiet our neighbours. I ended up having to call 3 more times - the last call was at 2am before the noise started to quiet down.

What type of a business is Savoy Mthata running? A local pub and / or gathering place for visitors and locals? Because I'm convinced it is NOT a rest stop for business people or visitors. If any business people or out of towners are looking for a nice quiet place to stay - DO NOT GO TO SAVOY MTHATHA!

Find a way to control your guest and who they invite to visit them at YOUR facility Savoy Mthatha! Dont tell me you have no control over guest, because you should have and you do!

How you manage to stay in business is beyond me. You will never see me again and I will tell all my associates the same.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
6  Thank Karrest
There are newer reviews for Hotel Savoy and Conference Centre

Reviewed February 4, 2014

I stayed one night in this hotel as a stop over between Durban and Balitto. The facilities are basic and the service average but its perfectly acceptable for one night. Breakfast/dinner is supplied by nearby Mikes Kitchen - this to was ok.

Room Tip: Get in and get out....
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Izzybizzyfizzy
Leighmy, Director of Sales at Hotel Savoy and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2016

Thank you so much for the excellent review and comments. We are so pleased to hear that you had a fantastic stay with us and that our team went out of their way to make you feel welcome and looked after as you should be.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

I made a booking through bookings.com and it wasn't found due to a technical fault on Hotel Savoy's side. One of the reception ladies couldn't remember my even after correcting her 5 times. Dstv wasn't working and when it did the picture was hazy. The room was comfortable, clean and modern. I hope the next time I visit the above will have improved

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Siphiwe M
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Booked a smoking room days in advance, when I arrived I was informed they have no smoking rooms available, and didn't attempt to assist me. If you offer a smoking room option then make sure you have a smoking room available! Also very expensive.. complete rip off.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Leighmy, Director of Sales at Hotel Savoy and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Thank you for your review, I am very concerned where you read that we had smoking rooms. We make use of a number of sites and I need to rectify this immediately - please would you be so kind and contact me on leigh@jhgroup.co.za with the site that you booked on and read this. I look forward to hearing from you

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Breakfast at Mike's Kitchen was good, and service fine. I assume they are contracted to you for this service. However, the service at their evening meal was terrible. Waiter never around when you want him, only takes order & disappears. No white wine by the glass!!??. Main meal arrived almost simultaneously with starter. Quality of food and service not commensurate with price.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed November 9, 2013

What a surprise to find this hotel (like a motel) in Mthatha. The service is very friendly, the location safe, also for the cars. The rooms are okay, shower/toilette are clean. Right opposite you find Mike's kitchen restaurant. There you can enjoy a rich breakfast buffet. For your trip in or from the Eastern Cape we recommend this hotel for a stopover.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 8, 2013

I found the hotel to be clean. The staff were warm and receptive. It was value for money. The location was convenient as I had to go to the nearby township for a funeral. I had a choice of 2 restaurants for my meals , which are situated nearby.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Leighmy, Director of Sales at Hotel Savoy and Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2015

Thank you for your review, we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, we hope to see you back here soon.