“Great hotel. Restaurant service needs some improvement.”

Hampton Inn Kayenta
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Kayenta
Toronto
“Great hotel. Restaurant service needs some improvement.”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The hotel is a beautiful and well maintained property. The pool is great! The staff were helpful. The one area in which we were not satisfied was with the restaurant. We arrived at the hotel at about 9:30 p.m. after a long day. I immediately went to the restaurant to ask for a table for our party of eight people including children (one as young as 5 years old). We were told that there would be about a 1/2 hour wait so we put our name down and continued to check in and go to our rooms. We returned at around 9:45 p.m. I asked one of the servers whether it would be easier to split our group into 2 groups of 4. She said that would make no difference. Later it became apparent that smaller groups that checked in after us were being seated. I then spoke to the man who appeared to be the Maître De who did indeed split us into 2 groups. He seated us and then shortly thereafter the other 4 were seated in an adjacent room that had remained vacant until about 10:45 p.m. The staff mentioned that this happened every night and they did not seem particularly concerned. If this happened in a city one could easily make other arrangements. However, in a small town one is limited to relying upon the hotel to provide such service. To be fair, the food arrived quickly and the table service was good. However, the inordinate time required to get a table and the blasé approach of the restaurant staff to those who were waiting did not give us a very good initial impression of being regarded as valued customers.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Milan, Italy
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Nice place, friendly atmosfere, good facilities but the assistant manager Mr. Cornford was not able to manage anything. The lobby did not confirm our reservation in the right time, then they offer an occupied room. the key does not work, we Waited for more then one hour for dinner altre lissening that no reservation was required. No beer no salad (salad!) of course present in the menu. So Please save the hotel, long life to navajo but change the manager...

Phoenix, United States
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Basic human empathy is not a concept reception staff here are familiar with- did not seem to care at all that reservation through Priceline for following night (the hotel only had the Fri themselves when I phoned so I turned to the web) had never been put in the hotel system and this is an extremely rural area with nothing available at all nearby. They just kept repeating fact that hotel had been booked out for months when all I wanted to know was whether I should just deal with Priceline directly. Promised to ring me back and never bothered. Rude is an understatement. I have never ever experienced such poor customer service in a chain hotel. Would really make me think twice about using Hampton ever again. Other staff seemed pleasant but reception is an absolute disgrace. There is an arrogance about the place because of the remote location but if you have ANY other decent option- take it! I can thoroughly recommend the Holiday Inn in Canyon De Chely. Really nice people. No doubt the hotel will respond that my situation was not their fault. Priceline would disagree but the point was that I just wanted friendly advice as an existing occupant of the hotel. The complete absence of customer service is their fault

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

1 Thank Lisa H
Darien, Connecticut
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Not too many places to stay if you are visiting Monument Valley hence we booked at the Hampton Inn Kayenta. The hotel looks nice from the outside and it was very nicely decorated. The room was clean but the walls were very thin. We could here all our neighbors very clearly. The biggest problem we had was with the size of the beds. They do not have queen beds so we had two doubles for the four of us. It wasn't good enough for what we paid ($250+ per night). The staff throughout the hotel more or less kept to themselves. Never got eye contact or hi/hello from anyone. We didn't try the restaurant for dinner. The place has a gym and a pool which looked okay but we didn't have time to try them out.

Farmington, New Mexico
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I expected better from a Hampton Inn. I had a 2 double bed room. I was surprised to not see a mini fridge in the room to keep my water cold. The walls were thin as I could hear the the people in the room next to me talking during the night. However, the free wifi and complementary breakfast were good! I was happy that I was able to check-in earlier than the average 3-5pm check-in time. I arrived at the hotel at around 1pm and a room was ready.
The hotel location was excellent. Burger King, McDonalds, and gas stations were within walking distance. Monument Valley is about a 25-30 minute drive.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We booked this as part of a package through trail finders. The hotel room was clean and spacious. We ate in the restaurant and found the food to be delicious, not the usual mass-produced stuff that you often find in these types of hotels. The staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel was around a 30 minute drive to Monument Valley, aside from this there did not seem to be anything in Kayenta.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Holbrook, New York
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Overall the Hampton Inn was an excellent place to stay while visiting Monument Valley. The rooms were great, breakfast was good, bedding was comfortable. The only issue we had was that it was overpriced at over $300 with tax, which was too much for a Hampton Inn. Still, there weren't many other choices in the area and I'm glad that I stayed there.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Mantle22
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kayenta
Kayenta Monument Valley Inn
Wetherill Inn
Wetherill Inn
#2 of 4 in Kayenta
Marble Canyon Lodge
Marble Canyon Lodge
#2 of 2 in Marble Canyon

Been to Hampton Inn Kayenta? Share your experiences!