“Pleasant place, tasty food” 4 of 5 bubbles

Wagonwheel
Ranked #9 of 13 Restaurants in Kayenta
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Brooklyn NY
“Pleasant place, tasty food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

We had two good meals at the Wagon Wheel, a supper and a lunch. We especially enjoyed the green chile stew with fry bread, and the desserts were fine. Service was friendly and the prices were reasonable for the quality of the food.

• Visited September 2013

Tunbridge Wells, England, United Kingdom
“Must Try Harder”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

I afraid this only scores a 1/10 for food as yet again some Chefs don't actually make their own BBQ sauce but get it out of a bottle as the so-called Spicy Wings were covered in the same goop they used elsewhere in the South-western United States. I didn't try anything else as if you can't get the simplest of things right you should hang-up you Chefs "Whites" and do something else.

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Fortson, GA
“Memorable birthday dinner in an attractive restaurant with average food & a colorful staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2012

My wife & I were part of a family group of 8 adults touring national parks for a week in early August (HOT!). We changed hotels daily & drove 1200+ miles during the week..... Lots of astonishing canyons, valleys, & rocks! Did I say it was HOT?!

We arrived in Monument Valley after 9 PM on my birthday 8/8 & found only 2 restaurants still open... We hurried over to the Wagonwheel, which is part of the Kayenta Monument Valley Inn (formerly a Holiday Inn). The restaurant was crowded, so our large party waited a few minutes before being seated at a nice table in a corner that resembled a faux pueblo setting. Our server was a young, cheerful Navajo woman with a lovely dress, attractive jewelry, & anomalous tatoos. She struggled with the food orders from our boisterous 8 people, but eventually got it right. My 1st birthday surprise was that this was going to be an alcohol-free meal, since we were on the Navajo reservation where alcohol is banned..... :(

Surprisingly, the Coors nonalcoholic beer was satisfying, especially with the fajitas & refried beans than my wife & I shared. In fact, 2 beers were quite good with the food. All the meals at our table were good/undistinguished, but about average for Mexican food in a southwest restaurant.

My 2nd birthday surprise was being serenaded after dinner by what must have been the entire Navajo serving staff with a LOUD rendition of "Happy Birthday." That was fun....

With limited choices for places to eat in Kayenta, I'd recommend the Wagonwheel, mostly for its colorful decor/surroundings & Navajo staff.

• Visited August 2012
Arlington, VA
“What a surprise place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

The Wagonwheel doesn't even have a sign. It is tucked inside a motel at the main intersection of this little town on the highway between Mesa Verde and the Grand Canyon. I had a burger on sourdough toast with chilies and cheese and the best French fries I have ever eaten outside of Paris. My wife had a salad with chicken strips, also excellent. We got there late Sunday morning just as they were about to close for the afternoon, but the staff showed no impatience in waiting on us. A very good place for lunch on the road.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank patandpal
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Great Salmon, Very Accommodating”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2012

We booked a group into the Wagon Wheel Restaurant and found the manager of the restaurant wonderful to work with. Very flexible and accommodating. We pre-ordered from a choice of three dinners and they were all fabulous. The Salmon might have been the best meal of our 8 day trip! Great Job!

Visited March 2012