“Memorable birthday dinner in an attractive restaurant with average food & a colorful staff”
Review of Wagonwheel

Wagonwheel
Ranked #8 of 14 Restaurants in Kayenta
Cuisines: American
Fortson, GA
Reviewed August 23, 2012

My wife & I were part of a family group of 8 adults touring national parks for a week in early August (HOT!). We changed hotels daily & drove 1200+ miles during the week..... Lots of astonishing canyons, valleys, & rocks! Did I say it was HOT?!

We arrived in Monument Valley after 9 PM on my birthday 8/8 & found only 2 restaurants still open... We hurried over to the Wagonwheel, which is part of the Kayenta Monument Valley Inn (formerly a Holiday Inn). The restaurant was crowded, so our large party waited a few minutes before being seated at a nice table in a corner that resembled a faux pueblo setting. Our server was a young, cheerful Navajo woman with a lovely dress, attractive jewelry, & anomalous tatoos. She struggled with the food orders from our boisterous 8 people, but eventually got it right. My 1st birthday surprise was that this was going to be an alcohol-free meal, since we were on the Navajo reservation where alcohol is banned..... :(

Surprisingly, the Coors nonalcoholic beer was satisfying, especially with the fajitas & refried beans than my wife & I shared. In fact, 2 beers were quite good with the food. All the meals at our table were good/undistinguished, but about average for Mexican food in a southwest restaurant.

My 2nd birthday surprise was being serenaded after dinner by what must have been the entire Navajo serving staff with a LOUD rendition of "Happy Birthday." That was fun....

With limited choices for places to eat in Kayenta, I'd recommend the Wagonwheel, mostly for its colorful decor/surroundings & Navajo staff.

• Visited August 2012

Arlington, VA
“What a surprise place!”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The Wagonwheel doesn't even have a sign. It is tucked inside a motel at the main intersection of this little town on the highway between Mesa Verde and the Grand Canyon. I had a burger on sourdough toast with chilies and cheese and the best French fries I have ever eaten outside of Paris. My wife had a salad with chicken strips, also excellent. We got there late Sunday morning just as they were about to close for the afternoon, but the staff showed no impatience in waiting on us. A very good place for lunch on the road.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank patandpal
Fort Collins, Colorado
“Great Salmon, Very Accommodating”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

We booked a group into the Wagon Wheel Restaurant and found the manager of the restaurant wonderful to work with. Very flexible and accommodating. We pre-ordered from a choice of three dinners and they were all fabulous. The Salmon might have been the best meal of our 8 day trip! Great Job!

Visited March 2012
1 Thank royaltycoach
Riverside, California
“The Wagon Wheel is Broken”
Reviewed November 20, 2011

The service was great and the decor charming BUT the food was terrible. If you are in Kayemta on SundaY night its the only thing open. Don't do it, go Fast Food. Enchiladas were hard , everything else tasted canned. Sad experience.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank BnRLovetosail
Canada
“Mixed Bag”
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Went there in May and had two very different experiences with the food. My girlfriend got the hot roast beef sandwhich which was great.
Unfortunately I order the "native lamb stew" which was awful. I got a bowl of watery broth filled with chucks of vegetables... mainly potatoes... and three small pieces of lamb. As a 4 dollar starter I may have understood - but this was a $12.95 main!

Otherwise the service and atmosphere was ok. Was busy including a bus tour group.

There's not many options in Kayenta and this is one of the better ones. But it's a mixed bag.

• Visited May 2011