“Beauty Beyond Words”
Review of Keya-Hozhoni Tours

Keya-Hozhoni Tours
Ranked #6 of 7 things to do in Kayenta
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I had been to Monument Valley before but i wanted to return and take a tour for some better photo ops. Keya-Hozhoni was recommended and I was not disappointed. I took the overnight Hunt's Mesa tour with Donald as my guide. Normally they need at least 2 for this tour, but they took me alone at a very reasonable price. The large Suburban SUV made the 2+ hour trail ride more comfortable but the ride is not for the faint of heart. The service and food were outstanding. We had steak, potato, corn on the cob, all roasted on the fire. The breakfast was also a full meal. The view from Hunt's Mesa is breath taking. As the suns moves across the sky the entire scene takes on a new perspective.

Amazingly, there is good phone service on top of Hunt's Mesa. Tip: I was traveling alone and the little 2 man tent they provided was barely large enough for me and my camera gear. With 2 people, it would have been unsat. If I go again I will take my own tent.

2  Thank Ken P

Reviewed May 14, 2013

We scheduled about 5 months prior to our trip with the Keyah Hozhoni Monument Valley Tours. A week before we followed up to confirm our appt. What we scheduled for was the photo guide service which had us out in the morning and back in the late afternoon. Our guide was Ray Begay.

We were so happy with our overall experience. Ray took us to locations you will not see with those rough and tumble cattle trucks. The visual delights we were exposed too were incredible. Not only was Ray knowledgeable to scenic areas but also magic time of the day for the subject lighting

Tips that might help with your trip: take plenty of water and snacks. If you are doing the split day (am then pm) I personally would advise taking a nap before heading back for the pm tour. The heat will wear on you. Wear comfortable yet sturdy walking shoes. Rays seems to be able to gauge what amount of physical activity you can handle.

Highly recommended.

2  Thank WAWA65
carl p, Manager at Keya-Hozhoni Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

To have our customers enjoy what Monument Valley has to offer, all its beauty and specially scouted areas for photography, is what we strive for. Thank you for your time with us and enjoy your photos.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

We did the 17 mile drive in Monument Valley in the morning/early afternoon. We met up with Ray for four hours in Monument Valley. We were with an experienced nature photographer who had led multiple tours into Monument Valley. After a short discussion, we agreed to go to Mystery Valley instead with its arches and more eroded environment. It is also much less crowded as you need a Navajo guide to access the valley.

One sees a some cliff dwellings, pictographs, arches, cactus, and wild flowers. We even got to taste some sumac berries (very sour and citrusy).

Ray is an excellent guide and very knowledgeable of Navajo customs and the history of the valley. The price seemed a little steep for four hours, but was well worth it. I did not even know of Mystery Valley and it was not on my bucket list, but should have been. When we went to the saucers/pancakes, Ray took his Suburban up a 45+ degree slope. Quite the experience.

We ended with a drive to Teardrop arch (also requires a Navajo guide). This would make a beautiful sunset spot, but we had some clouds move in which muted the sunset and decided to return to the View at Monument Valley and get some shots there before dinner.

3  Thank MarkN7453
carl p, Manager at Keya-Hozhoni Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

We thank you in return for touring with us and enjoy your pictures!

Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

What a terrific day! Two parents in their late 50's & three teenage girls spent 8 hours touring Monument Valley & Mystery Valley with Keya Hozhoni Tours.

We toured Monument Valley in an open vehicle in the morning & toured Mystery Valley in an SUV in the afternoon.
Our guide, Tulley Begay, was phenomenal!! He could accomodate the desires of the parents & the teenagers. He stopped everywhere for photos. He took the teens rock climbing. He gave us all an insight into Navajo culture. He took us to meet Suzi Yazi, a Navajo elder. This was a touching experience for all of us. At the end of the day, EVERYONE was happy--you can't ask for more than that when travelling with teens!

If you are travelling as a family, a private tour with Keya-Hozhoni Tours is worth the cost!! They know Monument Valley & they are family oriented! Tulley Begay is a phenomenal guide and a genuinely good & compassionate man!

2  Thank Psamob
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Great web page, and for all I know they might have been a great tour company, but I call twice, left message and return phone number, and got nothing. For me, this tells me, they don't care, they have enough business. Pretty sad. If I only called once, maybe, but not twice.

2  Thank Fordan

Been to Keya-Hozhoni Tours? Share your experiences!