“Dusty windy motel in the middle of nowhere”

Kayenta Monument Valley Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Kayenta
SW Florida
“Dusty windy motel in the middle of nowhere”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This was night 10 of a 20 day road trip. The website for this motel looks really good. We reserved directly via telephone one month in advance. We were assigned room 302 at $173.23. The building and rooms are old dusty and tired. The guest laundry room was a broken down filthy pit. The one across the highway at the "mall" was spotless, but I was accosted by a local drunk while cleaning the windows on my vehicle. Avoid Kayenta if you can.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank FLTrav2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Colorado
Reviewed July 12, 2013

If you want to be treated with hostility then this is your town! If you want to be ripped off this is your town! We booked this hotel 3 months in advance, and we got there at 2:00pm and asked if it would be possible to check in early. I might as well have been asking for them to eat dirt with the reaction I received. A simple sorry but no would have sufficed. They said the rooms were all full but there were no cars there. Then when we came back at 3:00 we had to stand in line for 30 minutes to check in. Then we got stuck way in the back of the hotel. The next morning the parking lot still wasn't close to full. Every interaction I had with people in this town was the same, hostile and rude. They do not want you there, period.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Dbluv2000

Travelers are raving about these Kayenta hotels

Brisbane
Reviewed July 6, 2013

We looked for accommodation 6 months in advance and this was the only Motel with rooms available in June. After our long drive we called into the motel about 11.00am to say we were in town and to check on our booking. The response was "you can't book in yet" I replied that I was just checking our booking, she then took several minutes to find our booking and asked me for proof of booking online. I had to walk back out to the car to obtain this paperwork, on return to the reception, they had found the booking.
After visiting Monument Valley and then driving into New Mexico, we arrived back at our room about 10.30pm. We were confronted with a cold shower. advising the reception desk, we were told you should have called before you showered, he made the remark that something could have been done to remedy the situation, advised staff member we required a reduction in our account. checking out next morning we felt the front desk staff were rude and did not belief our complaint of no hot water. In her words "you were the only ones to complain out of 64 rooms" Reluctantly she reduced our account by $20. With all the silly taxes involved at $200 a night we were disappointed in our stay, breakfast is not included. When leaving our room we mentioned the cold shower to a member of housekeeping who indicated the motel turns off the hot water system at night, her advise was to have an early shower!!! We would never recommend this motel to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank LIL32Brisbane
Cardiff
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Monument Valley is awesome and obviously worth a visit. However, having stayed at the Kayenta, it is really worth planning to avoid staying in this hotel, and even better, avoid the town.

Let me explain.......the hotel itself is clean, refurbished, and generally, facilities are good. The pool was clean and perfectly acceptable. So the physical amenities are ok and the relatively high cost of a room is not inappropriate on this level, bearing in mind location etc.

However, the service provided on a number of levels is simply abysmal. Check in? Expect to feel like an unwanted guest. Eating? The restaurant is under-staffed, leading to poor service and poor quality food. General enquiries, such as time zone adjustments? They treat you with general disdain.

The strange thing is that the service standard is not just about this hotel. The staff here are no different to all of the people in shops, restaurants and services in Kayenta...they give you a general feeling that your custom is not wanted. This has been described by previous reviewers as 'rude' or 'officious'....but the reality is that all of the people that we interacted with just seemed very disinterested, and quite frankly, it could easily be perceived as rudeness.

I have a theory:- Monument Valley is usually a 'one-off, one night' experience for visitors. There is rarely repeat business for most travellers. Hence the service provided by this hotel, and other establishments in the area, is one of ambivalence. They don't care about you or your problems. There is a major attitude problem that is manifesting itself in numerous reports on TA of poor service.

The only downside of such an attitude is the potential loss of business from prospective future visitors via negative press or poor reviews - hence the true nature of Kayenta customer service needs to be more widely understood.

This town, including this hotel, needs to get its act together. It feels like a monopoly business situation....where a service provider knows people will keep visting the area for its main product (Monument Valley) with very little choice when visiting.

Having experienced many different cultures, I am very open-minded and extremely tolerant. Nevertheless, I am sure some readers will just say I am not appreciating the nature and culture of the locals. This is nonsense. Politeness and courtesy cost nothing and are evident in abundance in other areas of the same region. This is about an isolated ''attitude'.....there is something not very nice about Kayenta and it is very apparent at this hotel.

I would advise travellers to plan an itinerary that allows a visit to MV but avoids staying the night in Kayenta altogether. With hindsight, its easily done, the tour of the trail took just three hours. If people vote with their wallets, perhaps in time the local attitude will change and this hotel, and other local establishments, will start to value the custom of visitors and treat them with a basic courtesy that is sadly lacking at present.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
15 Thank 528David528
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Kayenta is not a large town and the hotel is virtually in the middle, next to a couple of petrol stations and opposite a shopping complex. It has an outside swimming pool, where the water was really cold, despite outside air temperatures of 90F. There was also a fitness room.
My room was large with two double beds, one bedside cabinet, two easy chairs, a table, a chest of drawers with a large flat-screen TV, a bathroom with bath/shower. The bathroom had an annoying time on the light, where you had to set a time for the light to be on, a maximum of something like 15 minutes.
The reception staff were lacking in both charm and friendliness.
I would not stay here again, but would prefer to drive on to Tuba City; the Hampton Inn, looked much nicer, if you have to stay in Kayenta. Be warned that hotels here are expensive for what you get!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Michael T
Paris, France
Reviewed June 29, 2013

Plus: Nice hotel, rooms are clean, well-furnished, comfortable. The location is good, next to Monument Valley, the bedrooms are quiet.

But the hotel is really much too expensive for the service and quality you get.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Caroline C
Napa, California
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My first clue was the hotel staff looking at each other when I asked the price .. like ..hum ..how about 175.? Is this a guessing game ? Discounts ? AAA No ... So I looked around on a very windy day .. lobby looked good ..5 cars in the parking lot ( must be staff ) rest of the place looked old .. I don't usually plan my daily route depending on where I'm going to stay , It gives me more freedom to do what I want .. But if you plan to be in Kayenta at nightfall,all the hotels are expensive ..your not paying for comfort,your paying out of Desperation ! They Gotcha ! May I recommend the campground at Gouldings ! ( for those who come prepared ) Clean and safe sites ,clean restrooms and indoor pool,w/ landromat ! very nice ! short drive to Monument Valley for sunrise Mittens shot (3 miles) !stayed 2 nights, Met People from all over the world ...and still had 300.00 $ in my pocket ! Win,Win !

Room Tip: Make Monument Valley a day Adventure ,stay in neighboring town .. All hotels are through the roof !