“clean but dated”
Review of Wetherill Inn

Wetherill Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Kayenta
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

there isn't much selection in this town for lodging and this was the only place that had a room that night. the room was large are over so are family of 5 have plenty of space.

the breakfast was okay, but I elected to eat at the Amigo cafe down the road. the rest of the family ate at the motel and they didn't complain too much.

my biggest complaint was the parking. there did not seem to be enough spots available and those who arrived late, like us had a challenge in finding a place to park.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank 7lenny7

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We needed a quick overnight between Glen Canyon and Durango, CO. and Kayenta seemed to fit the bill. The Wetherill Inn was was very clean and very well maintained. We experienced good service, a decent breakfast, and fast Wifi (free). Please remember that you are in the Navajo Nation (sovereign entity; NOT reservation) and that alcohol is not available. The modest museum and cultural center next to the Burger King is worth a look . We did not see much of Monument Valley due to smoke from N. Mexico fires.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Kayenta is the closest town to Monument Valley and in recent years the cost of accommodations have dramatically increased as the Navajo Tribal Park has become more of a tourist destination. I stayed in the Wetherill Inn a few years ago and they have greatly improved their rooms with the increase in cost. A fair trade-off. They also offer a complimentary breakfast that is on the same level as other chain hotels, something they didn't do a few years ago. The room was nicely appointed and had been recently updated. Even though the nearly $140 a night price is steep for what you get, its still significantly less for a nice room than what you will pay at some of the other hotels in Kayenta.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 22, 2013

There are only a few hotels in Kayenta and this one was the only one available. The hotel clerk was not friendly or knowledgable. Had no idea about tv programs and actually I felt she did not understand English that well. The room was spacious, clean, and dark for sleeping. The hotel was located on the very entrance to town, although not much of a town. Parking was tight as the hotel filled to capacity at night. It had an indoor pool, which we did not use. No microwave in the room but one was accessible two doors down. The price did not match the accommodations.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tab555
Reviewed June 17, 2013

We enjoyed our stay here. Our room was very clean and quiet. Breakfast was good and they have a nice outdoor area to enjoy your breakfast. Staff was very helpful and nice. I especially liked the new laundry facility. We were hiking for two weeks and having the opportunity to wash our clothes mid way thru our trip saved us lots of room in our suitcases and backpacks. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelinlight01
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I had stayed at this motel before, but that was a very long time ago and my memory was patchy, except that it was ok. Well, since then there’s been a lot of change, obviously. I think the two-story motel added a second wing and is now roughly L-shaped, with a short wing added at the top, along the highway – 191 – housing the lobby and the adjacent small, but very smart gift shop and the two spacious breakfast rooms. There’s also a pool, but we didn’t use it.
Our room was spotlessly clean and the appliances were fairly new – except the TV set, but it worked. There was a fridge in the room, as well as a coffee machine, iron and ironing board and a hair-dryer. We took a room with a queen and were told it was somewhat smaller than rooms with a king. That was okay, and there sure was enough space for us … we don’t want to play football in the room, just sleep in it. The bathroom was perfectly clean as well, and the WiFi worked perfectly well – except you can only go online with one gadget per room at a given time.
The breakfast choice was probably the most expensive I’ve ever seen anywhere for a complimentary breakfast. First of all, breakfast tables were set up in two different rooms, with a total of a good dozen tables. There were several choices of cereal (corn flakes), hot oatmeal, toast, sweet buns/cakes/donuts, fruit, but also pancakes, hard boiled eggs (already peeled), and fresh (!) fruit salad.
There were several different types of tea, and three choices of fruit juice. Thus is one superb motel and next time we want to spend a night in Kayenta we will definitely stay here again! An excellent motel run superbly, and not too expensive considering where you are. Our room was $111 excl. taxes. Last time I stayed in Kayenta I paid $190 or thereabouts at a different place – which was no better in any way.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Esty666
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stayed in Wetherill Inn on my way driving from Phoenix to Moab, arriving late, around 10 pm. The hotel was sold out but my room was waiting for me.
Room was sparkling clean, nice bathroom, fridge, everything (except AC/Heater) seems brand new.
I used AC as a fan only because there is no any other way to ventilate the room. The smell coming from it was musty, that's why this otherwise very nice motel did not score perfectly in my books. They could at least spray Lysol on A/C intake to rid of this smell. The other issue - WiFi was not working. It was there, the signal was strong, but I could not connect because of some provider settings. Staff was trying to help but could not do much. But there was pretty strong 2G so I was still being able to get online.
Staff is excellent - very friendly, and helpful. Impressed with the breakfast, did not expect much, but there was a good variety, and it was served in a nice fashion. You can tell when the staff cares.
Overall, it's a good value for the money, especially given that in this area there are not so many places to stay and everything is a bit overpriced.

Room Tip: Even if the motel faces the highway, there is not much traffic at either time of day, so any room sh...