“Lovely Hotel, better than the area”

The Windermere by Mantis
Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Port Elizabeth
Halifax, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel, better than the area”
Reviewed February 25, 2014

Having travelled along the Garden Route we stopped for 2 nights in Port Elizabeth before flying to Durban. The Windermere Hotel was great. The literature read before travelling led us to believe it was on the ocean front as it stated that you could watch the surfers. I suspect this was written a few years ago before the Sea Spray apartments were built in front, obscuring the view. It was the only part of our holiday where we felt uncomfortable walking out in an evening.
The staff were attentive, the room was large, comfortable and clean.
Port Elizabeth is not a place to which we would return, which shouldn't detract from the hotel. There is secure garage parking. Although meals, other than breakfast, are served they are only light snacks. The hotel admits that they do not compete with the local restaurants although there are not many in walking distance. We sampled two restaurants during our stay. The Coachman was excellent. Blackbeards at Chapman's Hotel left a lot to be desired.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Philadelphia
Reviewed February 18, 2014

This is your oasis while in transit to/from Port Elizabeth. Located only a half mile from the beach front and restaurants, it is a great spot to unwind and enjoy the fine, unobtrusive service of Caroline and her team. The rooms are huge and comfortable, with the only complaint being that the carpets could use a clean. But, no not let that deter you. There is a great courtyard in the middle of the property where you can have breakfast, read a book, check the internet, or simply unwind in the Eastern Cape warm breezes. Staff will do anything to make you comfortable including your wash and ironing an no additional charge. While the surrounding neighborhood is unimpressive, it is safe which is something to consider while in South Africa.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
england
Reviewed January 30, 2014

This hotel offers large rooms with massive bathrooms, plainly furnished and lacking facilities for own tea/coffee in rooms.
Pathways between rooms and main building are gravel which makes for noisy movement of people however quiet you try to be. This is particularly annoying when people are moving about in the early hours of the morning!
Breakfast offered no breakfast buffet - something we had not experienced anywhere else in SA - and the cooked food left a lot to be desired, very overcooked bacon and burnt tomatoes!

Room Tip: As the hotel is on the airport flight path all rooms are likely to be disturbed by aircraft noise...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Bari, Puglia, Italy
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We spent just the one night, New Year's Eve unfortunately at the Windermere. The hotel didn't look much from the outside though it was quite nice on the inside. While our room was big, it was very plain and bare and nothing special. The bathroom was spacious with a massive open shower area and small bath which seemed a bit contrary. The balcony we had was ugly, plain concrete and had no view whatsoever. The porter we found on the first evening was very unfriendly, unsmiling and unhelpful although we found the rest of the staff very kind an pleasant. Breakfast was delicious and the location is fine though were unlucky with the weather that evening and didn't see much or get to celebrate much for New Year. Rather disappointing.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CatrionaMacPas
Perth
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Tiny looking rustic building on the outside but oh so different within I 'd recommend a stay here walking distance to the beach the location was away from the main road but easy walk to it. Casino just down the road lots of restaurants and shops . Owner organised a spa treat that we had requested without any problems . It has an exclusive feel but without the coldness it was truly an experience especially for our last night

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

I agree with others, that this is a true gem on the inside. I stayed here 1night on my own and the staff were delightful. Sadly no evening meals available and, as I was travelling on my own, I did not manage to find somewhere suitable in walking distance where I felt safe walking around the area at night. Huge rooms, up-today's magazines in the rooms and an outside area to sit and relax. They could do with updating their material in the rooms as it is out of date and include restaurant reviews please.

• Stayed August 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My travel agent booked this boutique hotel for me. I stayed there one night, though I could easily have stayed longer. I loved the location near the waterfront. I enjoyed the intimate feel of the hotel, which has only eight guest rooms. The hotel is formed of three houses joined together. My room was spacious with a king-size bed and elegant bathroom. The carpet was a bit worn, but clean. I arrived in Port Elizabeth on a late flight from Jo-burg, so I did not feel like going out for dinner even though there were numerous restaurants within walking distance. Still, I was dismayed to find that there was no dining room/restaurant in the hotel. The attendant offered to make me a pot of tea. The room had a minibar with bags of chips and chocolate bars. Nothing substantial. My stay included a full breakfast, which was delicious. I had a tasty vegetarian omelet--served hot. After a walk along the waterfront and sightseeing, I relaxed in the courtyard--a very pleasant garden area. Staff brought me a pot of tea. The manager was friendly and helpful. She came out to introduce herself and inquire if I needed anything. I felt safe and would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo