“Comfortable & Clean”

Paxton Hotel
Ranked #8 of 33 Hotels in Port Elizabeth
Reviewed March 9, 2012

Excellent check-in staff.

Rooms are a good size and clean with a very comfortable bed. The room had a separate bath and shower.

Meals in the evening have to be taken off a limited room service menu, however they can be taken in the bar which makes for a better experience.

Throughout the stay the staff were efficient and friendly.

Unfortunately......expensive WiFi

I was on a tour so only stayed one night so didn't explore the hotels location, however I was warned off exploring after dark by our tour rep.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Lotse

Reviewed February 3, 2012

My sister & I stayed for 2 nights prior to a safari trip.Hotel position not great but staff could not have been more friendly & helpful, going out of their way to advise us where it is/isn't safe to walk & which features are worth visiting, booking restaurants & ordering taxis.Breakfast was very good.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Sedateskier
Reviewed January 18, 2012

This is the 4th time that I have had the pleasure of staying as a guest at the Paxton. I think that Werner, mary and the other managers run the hotel with excellent efficiency to a very high standard.

The check in staff are so friendly and helpful, efficient and I am always greeted with a smile. OK, so there is not porter to assist with luggage but if one asks assistance is not far away.

The rooms are superbly appointed with local and national art and furnishings, very comfortable and plenty of room. The bathrooms are of a high standard too my only observation here is the shower cubical is a little small but, there is a bath too, a full size one at that (room 1115) where I stayed this time.

Well done Werner, mary and Team - John and I will be back the next time I am over from the UK.

In summary, well worth a visit if you are on the garden route, an excellent hotel throughout.

Room Tip: Room 1115 has excellent views over the harbour and the ocean
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Matt G
Reviewed December 27, 2011

I would say it's a good place to stay a night or two (which a lot of casual travelers do before embarking on Garden Route).

Good rooms, free/safe parking for your car, bar and pool on property. The staff didn't seem that helpful - they saw us struggling with our luggage but wouldn't offer help and looked the other way.

Overall, good value for money but I wouldn't stay for more than a couple of nights.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Live_It_Ez
Reviewed December 4, 2011

I stayed for 3 nights at Paxton Hotel. The reservation was made through booking.com. General speaking, the hotel is not something exceptional. Staff is friendly. The room was just OK, however the shower was too small and uncomfortable. Additionally, there was no mini bar. Internet (wifi) charge was quite expensive. Breakfast was plentiful (available on the ground floor) however lunch or dinner are not served. In conclusion..if you are travelling on business, it would not be a bad choice only for a couple of days.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank mpijay
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I was on business in the city and decided to stay at a hotel, instead of the normal Bed & Breakfast establishment. I found the staff to be extremely friendly and efficient. I loved the welcome gift (small bag of chocolates). I was a bit concerned about the loud music coming from the suites opposite the hotel - but this fortunately did not go on too long. I would suggest that they at one stage or other reconsider the breakfast lay-out. I prefer dishing my own breakfast (warm stuff) - as I do not eat much - and I dislike the fact that breakfast has to be dished for you. Otherwise - I had a great stay - and would return to the Paxton.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank theroncee
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We were in Port Elizabeth for only two nights before heading out to Kruger for the safari portion of our South African adventure.

We stayed at the Paxton both nights, and while not a bad experience, there was nothing that great about the hotel either. The room was well kept & nicely decorated and comfortable, but the bathroom was not up to expectation. Besides being completely out dated, it was really small and the shower was nearly unusable because it was such a tight fit with weird glass doors that did not properly close.

The hotel was fine for a quick two night stay as a stop over point, but we would have been really disappointed if we were staying any longer than 2 nights. The front desk/concierge was not very helpful when we requested restaurant recommendations - both times we were pointed to very touristy/chain restaurants, which we specifically said that we were not interested in.

All in all, we would not stay at the Paxton again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple