“Decadent but needs a few menu improvements”

Kipling's Brasserie
Ranked #49 of 372 Restaurants in Port Elizabeth
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Kipling's has a gorgeous location and even more gorgeous plush interiors , albeit slightly dated. The service was extraordinary; the waiters discreet and informative about the menu. I had the twice baked goats cheese souffle to start which was meagre and tasted more like an over baked omelette. My husband started with the calamari which was tough and rubbery but accompanied by a lovely seafood flavoured squid ink risotto. My main was the kingklip with saffron and served on a bed of seafood veloute. The portion size was good, the kingklip a bit overdone, the seafood veloute consisted of the tough calamari mentioned earlier and some canned mussels in a creamy sauce. My veggies on the side were delicious however. My husband indulged in the lamb gosht which was fragrant and tender. The saving grace on the whole was dessert : a frangipani and pear tart ( cold though) with a delicious delicate macaroon and a tiny crunchy toffee apple! Yum. I could've missed the burnt orange ice cream - the balance Was just the not right. I would've in retrospect preferred a warm tart with vanilla ice cream or creme anglaise, but I'm not a chef and I guess the chef was challenging herself, innovation is always admirable. I will be back to this restaurant for I feel it has more to offer.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Disappointing! Expected a lot more! Limited seafood! Over cooked meat! Roasted vegetables - mealies on the cob- no other vegetables! Dry and boring deserts! Expensive for what you get!

1  Thank Sonja M
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We had dinner at Kiplings for my grandmothers 90th birthday. It was a very special occasion as you can imagine.

When we arrived we were escorted to our table and everything was going off to a great start.

I would assume that being a 5star restaurant we would get the 5 star service. This was not the case.
We requested that water be brought to our table. It took the waiter about 10 min to bring the glasses, another 5 min to actually place the glasses and instead of placing the water down took another 10 min to pour the water. We had to wait for that process to be over before another waiter came to take drinks orders.
The service for the wine was shocking, the ice bucket for the wine was on the opposite side of the table when all the people drinking the wine were on the other side. We were getting up everytime wine was needed and doing that ourselves.

The food was very average. The portions was very small for the price, some items had everything, salad on the side, vegetables on the plate where as other items came with nothing.
I do believe they need to look at their 5star rating when it comes to this as it definitely not up to scratch.

2  Thank 27dom
Reviewed March 21, 2014

A group of 4 of us dined last evening.
The restaurant is very well appointed as is the rest of the hotel.
It's a large restaurant with a number of different table and chair settings with plenty of space between tables.
The table service was prompt and courteous. Both the waitress and the dining room manager were able to immediately supply ingredient details of a number of dishes: they clearly knew what they were serving.
The menu is extensive with both traditional and more exotic dishes.
We found the food to be of a very high standard and nicely presented.
Prices are a little higher than at other restaurants but this is an establishment with great food, stunning furnishings and spacious lounges.

A perfect place for that special occasion.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

fantastic restruarant, service is excellent. always met with a smile, the staff are friendly and efficient. good variety of foods. Relaxing atmosphere. Choice to dine in or outdoors. Brilliant views from balcony seating. would definately recommend it.