“Port Elizabeth Township Tour”

Mosaic Tourism - Day Tours
Ranked #4 of 19 Tours in Port Elizabeth
More attraction details
Owner description: Mosaic Tourism is based in the friendly city of Port Elizabeth and we proudly showcase the magnificent MOSAIC (diversity) of both Port Elizabeth and South Africa. The Eastern Cape and the Cape coast is a gem in our beautiful country. Many visitors return, it’s a holiday destination that touches hearts and leaves you feeling at home. Committed to service excellence we offer both packaged and tailored tours. We value every guest and with registered and professional tour guides, we ensure guests visiting will not leave disappointed. We offer flexibility and variety, catering for the single traveller to groups. Mosaic Tourism is a multi award winning Tour Company and some of our recent awards include: 2015: Craig Duffield won South African Tourism's Lilizela award for the best tourist guide in the Eastern Cape Province & was among the 7 finalists for the National Award. 2015: Mosaic Tourism won South African Tourism's Lilizela award for the best "Visitor Experience Award" in the "Roots and Culture" category in the Eastern Cape Province and were among the 4 finalists for the National Award. 2015: Mosaic Tourism won South African Tourism's Lilizela award for the best “Tour Operator” in the “Emerging Tour Operator” category and was one of finalists for the National Award. 2014: Craig Duffield won South African Tourism's Lilizela award for the best tourist guide in the Eastern Cape Province & was among the 5 finalists for the National Award.
Reviewed October 21, 2013

After visiting the Port Elizabeth Tourism Center, there were multiple township tours to choose from. We learned that in order to go on a township tour, you have to book with those who are authorized to give them. I spoke with a few of them and decided to go with Mosaic Tourism based on what he offered compared to the others. We were picked up and given a full tour of 4-5 townships in Port Elizabeth, The Red Location Museum & The Local Jazz Club. Craig was extremely knowledgeable of South African history, the history of the townships, and important figure heads. He speaks English and is extremely friendly. I was also impressed that he is heavily involved with the community and helping the townships with their charity efforts. You can tell he was appreciated by those who live in the townships. As we drove through the townships, everyone seemed to know him. We felt very safe and really got to understand how life is in the townships (which is what we were after). If you are thinking about doing a township tour, I highly suggest booking with Craig at Mosaic Tourism. We were in South Africa for a month and travelled all over the country; the Port Elizabeth township tour was the best guided tours we did! Ohhhh...he also provided light snacks to have while we were in the car, including stopping to try a few local foods in the township. Great Experience!!

CraigDuffield, Owner at Mosaic Tourism - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Thank you so much for your review! I appreciate the time you have given to write this review and it is something I do not take for granted.

Thank you for choosing Mosaic Tourism for your Township Tour. It’s great to hear how much you enjoyed your experience and that it is such a memorable part of your 2013 South African vacation!

It is also great to read, albeit between the lines, how much you enjoyed the wonderful Mosaic that makes up our Townships – the history, the life, the vibe, the energy, the colour, the culture, the food and most importantly the hope!

Reviewed October 17, 2013

We had the very fortunate opportunity to spend the day with Craig while on our recent visit to Port Elizabeth. Our group of 4 was curious about the townships and their importance in both historical and present day South Africa. Craig gave us the most amazing experience! Not only did he give as a fabulous guided tour of New Brighton township and the Red Location Aparthied museum (which is a must see), he helped us to experience first hand a local shop where we enjoyed fresh steaming hot donuts, and a local Jazz bar - Lunga's General Jazz Club. Craig was full of knowledge and shared many first hand and personal experiences. The passion and commitment Craig has to his job and his community is evident in both his tours and his ongoing support of humanitarian projects such the Human Dignity Centre and the Kwasa project among others. Craig, thanks for an most amazing day. It's was an experience we will never forget.

Hi JB Traveller1, I remember the tour well, especially the photo taken in the street in front of Lunga’s General Jazz Tavern with some of the kids that were playing there. I absolutely loved the spontaneity of that moment. It’s a photo etched in my memory!

Thank you so very much for taking the time to write a review about your Township Tour experience with Mosaic Tourism. I greatly appreciate it! I am especially thankful that my love and passion for our city was communicated. Thank you for your encouragement; it is not something I take for granted. I am glad that you all enjoyed the tour and found it a positive, enjoyable and an educational experience.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Mosaic Tourism and Craig are simply the best. They helped in every detail, great or small, of our trip. The tour of Addo Elephant Park contained lots of wildlife in a very short amount of time. (We would have liked to stay longer but we had a schedule to keep.) We had a boat excursion to see all the penguins and dolphins we would want to in Nelson Mandela Bay. We had a wonderful excursion to Plettenburg Bay for the weekend which included stunning accommodations, zip lining, visiting the Lawnwood Snake Sanctuary (a big hit with my two boys), hiking, whale watching (We saw 5 humpback whales and were as close as we would have wanted.) and wonderful dinner suggestions. We had a little extra time on the weekend excursion and per Craig's suggestion visited Knysna. What a suggestion! It was one of the best days of our whole South Africa trip (and the competition from Sabi Sabi game reserve was pretty strong). Craig is born and raised in Port Elizabeth and knows the Eastern Cape with a depth and breadth that you are unlikely to find anywhere else.

On Mandela Day we had a township tour and visited a local school where Craig is heavily involved. We even helped Mosaic Tourism in an area called Erica D. We were able to help finish a small house for a man that had lost his in a fire. It was a suggestion that changed "seeing stuff" into really being moved and encouraged. Why wouldn't you want to utilize the excellent services of an organization with a heart so big?

CraigDuffield, Owner at Mosaic Tourism - Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the wonderful review! I really appreciate it. It’s great to hear how much you and your family enjoyed everything we planned together. The weather played along and enabled us to do all the big things as planned. That always helps. I am so glad we added Knysna to the itinerary albeit very last minute. The weather was perfect!

Thanks for being so willing to join in our Mandela Day housing project. You all got so involved in the work. Thank you for helping us make a difference in our communities and helping us in our responsible tourism objectives. You and your family are amazing!

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

For the third time in 6 years Craig Duffield and Mosaic Tourism has totally out done himself in service, value and integrity. Our group of 25 from the US had a remarkable time under his csre and guidance. Ever detail perfect - every request exceeded. We have already begun planning gor 2015! Simply the best.

Hi Sabelo,

I appreciate the time you have taken to write this review.Thank you for continuing to choose Mosaic Tourism for your South African group trips and work camps.

It is always great when people return for a second trip. We have just completed your third group trip and are helping you plan a fourth – this is truly amazing! Thank you so very much for the confidence you have placed in Mosaic Tourism. It is always a wonderful privilege working with you to plan your adventures. Here's to 2015!

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I spent a month in South Africa and can honestly say that the day I spent with Craig at Addo Elephant National park was once of the best days of my whole trip. I was staying at Kwantu Game Reserve, and Craig came all the way out there to pick our group up at no extra cost. He was so friendly and so knowledgeable about everything! Apart from his wonderfully friendly nature, Craig's best asset is his extensive knowledge of Addo. We saw a herd of elephants crossing the road, and all the other vehicles had parked up to watch them go by, however Craig knew where the elephants were going and we moved on to a look-out over a watering hole where, sure enough, the herd soon arrived. Because he'd known where the herd was heading, we were the first people to arrive at the look-out so we were right at the front and had the best view! Craig's prices were wonderful value for money as well - for just 800R per person he picked up up, drove us around all day, bought us lunch and the price also included a horse-ride around the park that he'd organised for us.

I could not recommend Craig more - he was the perfect tour guide and gave us a perfect day out!

Hi Emma,

Thank you so much for choosing Mosaic Tourism for your Addo experience and for taking the time to write a review. I greatly appreciate it! Thank you so much.

Most importantly, though, I am really pleased you enjoyed your day in Addo Elephant National Park. I absolutely love this Park and enjoy showing people it’s beauty and diversity. It is always an incredible experience to be so close to these magnificent creatures in their natural habitat and I enjoyed sharing these moments with you and your friends.

Perhaps you will visit Africa again some time in the future and enjoy similar moments in other places on this beautiful continent. However, if not, I trust that your memories, enhanced by your photographs, last a life time!