“Great location, dirty”

Ranked #31 of 33 Hotels in Port Elizabeth
Calgary, Canada
“Great location, dirty”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

Brookes Hill is a hotel and apartment complex. I would expect that everyone should have to comply to the same rules and standards. It is part of an upmarket hotel complex and their name is attached to this - so they should care!

On the positive side...It has an amazing view and great location close to a variety of amenities including restaurants, the beach and shopping. It has a beautiful pool and lovely BBQ area.

We rented from one of the owners and paid R1200.00 ($120) per night and stayed for two nights. I have stayed here on 3 other occasions. We were advised a few days before arrival that our room was changed. On arrival the owner was not there to receive us, because she was playing 'Bridge' - she send the cleaning lady. This should've been a sign. The room was neat, but NOT clean. For example, the shower had long hairs clinging to the tiles. Floors had dirt on it. Things old and broken. We were not provided with any additional linen for the sleeper coach. We checked the closets and found some bedding. It was filthy. The next morning we requested clean linen - the cleaning came in to provide us with clean linen.

The WiFi is almost always off and has a very poor signal. For this location and being in Port Elizabeth I expected much better quality for this kind of money. My experience in Cape Town was superior compared to this one AND at a much better rate.

I would not recommend this to visitors, unless there is an improvement in the cleanliness of the private apartments.

Room Tip: Ground floor
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Sagiraffe
brookeshill, General Manager at Brookes Hill Suites, responded to this review, January 19, 2014
Good morning

This review is for a private suite that is managed and run by a private owner and not by Brookes hill management and Brookes hill hotel. Brookes hill hotel does not have any control with regards to the cleanliness and standard of the interior of the unit.

Regards

Tonya Gorham
Brookes hill suites hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Cape Town
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two nights from 25 - 26 December 2013. The rooms were nice and spacious and the location of the hotel was good.

We found the continental breakfast to be disappointing as there was a very small selection of items to choose from if you did not want to have the full English breakfast. Their fruit platter was practically empty and never refilled even though we did not arrive that late for breakfast and we had to ask both of mornings for cutlery as there never seemed to be a complete selection of cutlery for each place setting. We also did not get coffee one morning despite asking for it as there was only two staff members on duty and neither seemed willing to do it and kept checking to see if we were still sitting at our table. We eventually gave up and decided to go back to our room to make our own coffee.

This would definitely not be a good place to go for some quiet rest and relaxation as the place constantly seemed noisy with the amount of children running up and down the passages.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sabrina325
Knysna, South Africa
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Having just spent the weekend at the Brookes Hill Suites I must say that although the suites are quite nice but could do with a re-vamp, but the biggest problem was the noise in the passages outside the suite was intolerable with children running up and down for most of the evening and the cleaning staff banging about at 6am. It was a pity because the suites are ideally situated.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Port Elizabeth hotels

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Wet stain on carpet, broken tile rail, cracked shower head holder, loose wires hanging from wall mounted tv, bird poo on balcony and the list goes on. Th emits disappointing was dirtiness of the place. My baby's white stockings were black and had bits of dirt stuck to it. Be weary of the promised facilities also because we were quoted R10 an hour to access the WiFi. The only benefit of this place is it's location!

Room Tip: Check your room thoroughly before accepting the keys. Ask for a sea facing unit.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
brookeshill, General Manager at Brookes Hill Suites, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Good morning

The unit above could have formed part of the private rental pool run by different owners at Brookes hill , and therefore would not have been up to the usual standard of Brookes hill suites hotel.

Regards
Blythedale Beach
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My husband & I flew to PE in February to meet up with family for my Mother-in-law's 90th birthday. The whole family stayed at Brookes Hill Hotel. It was comfortable and clean, but could do with a bit of a re vamp. It's locality is ideal, as it is near to the popular PE beaches and the Board Walk. We spent a very special evening at the Board Walk, enjoying the wonderful Fountains of lights. All within walking distance. The view from our room over looked the pier and Hobie Beach .
We stayed in a studio unit with a little balcony - so could enjoy the sunrise.
The gardens are well cared for and the pool beautifully clean.
Over all a comfortable stay, but would not rush back there.
The staff were pleasant, but it would be good to have someone show you to your room and take your bags for you and not just handed the key and find your own way your suit.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bournemouth
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Brookes Hill Suites for one night after arriving in Port Elizabeth too late to travel further that day. We only wanted the equivalent to a Premier Inn or Travelodge for a night, but our tour organiser (Cape Tours) recommended staying there, as it was near the airport and quite affordable. It was also close to restaurants and the beach at Port Elizabeth.

We were greeted by the reception clerk who explained all we needed to know and showed us to our room. We had a lovely suite, with a sea view and a nice balcony. We had a bathroom and a comfortable bed with plenty of space for sitting around, plus a TV, which we didn't use! Much better than a Premier Inn or Travelodge in the UK!

The room was nicely equipped with a small microwave and kettle, etc., so we could have eaten there- but we didn't! We felt quite safe walking a short distance to the restaurant area and it was nice to be able to walk instead of using the car. Perhaps we weren't so impressed with having security gates and staff, but guess that is part of staying in a South African town.

Breakfast was served in the on-site restaurant and was buffet- style with plenty of choice. Excellent!

The staff were most helpful. They arranged to bring fresh milk from their restaurant to our room and helped me sort out problems with my mobile phone by advising me to get a South African SIM card and giving me evidence of staying there so I could obtain one. That's what I call service!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Cape Town
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I have been in my share of hotels and guest houses all over the globe. The one thing that you quickly learn is that not all hotels or guest houses are created equally!

Five years ago my wife and I visited the Brookes Hill Hotel and Suits in Port Elizabeth, South Africa. The Brookes Hill Hotel and Suits is a three star hotel which indicates that this is a tourist class hotel. We were amazed at the level of service offered by this small three star hotel! Naturally it was a no no-brainer when I came back to Port Elizabeth for business to stay here again.

We were stopped at the gate by security. There where two security personnel on duty: a male and a female. The female guard checked our booking against the checklist of people that was supposed to check in that day. This was good as it made me feel safe. At least no one will be attacking me in my room that is not a guest or an employee!

The last time we where here, three porters greeted us at the main entrance. They could not wait for us to unlock the car so that they get to our suitcases! This time, there was no porters. I walked to the reception desk. There were two personnel on duty. One was helping another guest and the other (a bald chap) was doing something on the computer that required him to tap a key on the keyboard every now and then. Both saw me enter, but none of them made any indication that they where aware of me. No greeting or "Welcome to the Brookes Hill Hotel"...

The minimum I would have been happy with would have been a greeting and an offer to use the waiting area, which is available. A nice touch would have been something to drink while I waited (coffee, tea, colddrink). I would have felt welcome and I would have happily waited for half an hour, even more.

Ten minutes later, the chap behind the computer was still sitting there tapping the keyboard and the other chap was still helping the guest before me. Two other employees walked in behind the reception counter. They went to one of the corners and just stood there laughing and chatting away... I was totally ignored.

It is not rocket science... If you don't have any work to do behind the reception desk, or of you are not there to help the guest, then stay the hell away! The reception area is not an employee lounge or meeting area of some sort!

Another five minutes later, the male security chap who was sitting in the security booth when I arrived, walked in and asked if he could help. What is wrong with this picture? No one behind the reception counter is willing to help, but the security officer is?

Check-in time for the hotel is 16h00. Not in one hotel I ever have been a guest of, was this time enforced. We arrived at 15h00 and then waited another 15 minutesto be helped. The security officer pointed to the time on my booking form and said: "four 'o clock, four 'o clock, four 'o clock!" Ok, so I am 45 minutes early... He picked up the one phone and made a phone call, but he could not reach anyone. He walked to another phone and tried again with the same result. He came back and said that our room was not yet ready and that we should come back at four... How he knew the room as not ready, I cannot say. Maybe he has some sort of contact with the spirit world...

When I left, the two in the corner was still chatting away and the one on the computer was still tapping the keyboard! The fourth was still helping the guest before me. Never in my entire life have I ever felt so uncomfortable or unwelcome!

I came back at 16h30. This time only the bald chap who was sitting behind the computer when I first arrived, was there! Again no greeting or any way to make the guest feel welcome. I gave him my booking form. He handed me another form and said: "Address, phone, sign!" The form had no clear fields to indicate what should go where. I asked for help and with a very irritated voice, he showed me where to fill in the detail. There was just open lines on the form. Unless you know what information is required where, there is no way for you to complete the form properly. After I completed the form, he slapped the room key on the counter and said: "Room XYZ around the corner." That was it. I got the distinct feeling that my presence there was somehow a huge inconvenience!

The room was as I remembered: the same stuffy smell of sigarette smoke! This is a NO SMOKING hotel, but obviously this does not apply anymore. I complained about this five years ago and I was happy to find out that absolutely NOTHING has been done about it! I even found an ashtray in the room. An open invitation that smoking is allowed in the room!

The control boxes for the ceiling fans are fastened by one screw only. It is very easy for anyone to move the box cover to the one side. They are also low enough for any child to reach. Families with children should be careful. This danger could put shocking end to any family holiday!

The next day we complained about the sofa being broken. Again we where greeted with irritation. We where told that a note will be made and the sofa replaced, but the look of irritation on the woman's face told me that I had a better chance of becoming pregnant!

Will I come back here? ABSOLUTELY NOT!
Will I recommend the Brookes Hill Hotel and Suits? NOT A CHANCE!

The attitude of the staff at the hotel suggest that they are doing you a favour by helping you. To them, you are just a cash machine bringing in money. Once they have your money, you are an irritation to them. A bug that has to be squashed quickly! This may be a three star hotel, but in my opinion, they do not reserve one of those stars. I have experienced hotels with no stars that offer service that is light years better! My recommendation is to rather take your hard earned cash elsewhere!

• Stayed March 2013