“Lovely meal” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Port Captains House

Port Captains House
Ranked #228 of 342 Restaurants in Port Elizabeth
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Has a magnificent view over the harbour
Derry, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

We ate here as were staying the Paxton Hotel and it was the only restaurant nearby. We were pleasantly surprised and had a great meal . I had a delicious Kudu steak with beetroot , my husband had great pork belly and our son steak . It was all wonderful and with a bottle of wine and cokes came to only 470 rand which is about £30 - amazing for that quality of food . This did include 10% tip added automatically which was a bit cheeky as we were only a party of 3 but still it was a great evening and we would have given more than that as tip anyway.

• Visited August 2013

Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Quiet place with a view”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Went for coffee. The atmosphere was laid back and quiet with the patio looking out over the water. The menu looked pretty good and inexpensive. Wanted to return to try the breakfast, but my schedule didn't allow for a return visit.

Visited July 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Don't visit waist of time”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Arrived for lunch bad service bad milk sour, cream sour, most beverages out of stock coffee for irish coffee cream orderd milk shake sour, supermqarket was open to much trouble to go buy fresh stock 15 meters away don't waist your time no manager on duty

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank russel123
Somerset West, South Africa
“Expected better!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

We were disappointed with the quality of service we got. The food could have been so much better. My colleague had a reasonable starter and quite a nice steak. My starter was not very good and not well presented. My main was a nice Kudu Steak ruined by having some heavy cheese based topping with nuts in it. I like to taste the game guys!

Visited September 2012
Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
“A lot of potential”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2011

Port Captains House is siuated in the same location as the old Cafe Brazilia. I just get the impression they have not entirely shirked off teh old Brazilia and completely re-created the new Port Captains. I went for breakfast ad enjoyed their eggs benedict with a twist. 2 slices of rye bread topped with creamed spinach, bacon and poached eggs. I drank 2 cups of their delicious coffee. I would return for this breakfast day in and out.
Their menu is HUGE!!!! In fact it is confusing. Outisde tey have a number of chalk boards displaying specials. there are so many you cant read them all. I would suggest they pick their best and slash the rest.
The interior is dark and unwelcoming upon entrance. The sea facing area has more natural light and they have a fantastic harbour view. The restaurant was empty. I felt uncomfortable, as if every mouthful I ate was being watched. I cant quite put my finger on how to fix this.
The venue is perfect for a candlelight dinner venue.
The location is great and the menu can be simplified to incorporate a few of their best dishes and remove teh peripheral confusing menu items. With a bit of attention to the gloomy interior and a staff revamp, the Pors Captains House may become a restaurant of substance.

• Visited December 2011