“Expected better!”

Port Captains House
Ranked #224 of 345 Restaurants in Port Elizabeth
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Has a magnificent view over the harbour
Somerset West, South Africa
“Expected better!”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We were disappointed with the quality of service we got. The food could have been so much better. My colleague had a reasonable starter and quite a nice steak. My starter was not very good and not well presented. My main was a nice Kudu Steak ruined by having some heavy cheese based topping with nuts in it. I like to taste the game guys!

Visited September 2012

Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
“A lot of potential”
Reviewed December 26, 2011

Port Captains House is siuated in the same location as the old Cafe Brazilia. I just get the impression they have not entirely shirked off teh old Brazilia and completely re-created the new Port Captains. I went for breakfast ad enjoyed their eggs benedict with a twist. 2 slices of rye bread topped with creamed spinach, bacon and poached eggs. I drank 2 cups of their delicious coffee. I would return for this breakfast day in and out.
Their menu is HUGE!!!! In fact it is confusing. Outisde tey have a number of chalk boards displaying specials. there are so many you cant read them all. I would suggest they pick their best and slash the rest.
The interior is dark and unwelcoming upon entrance. The sea facing area has more natural light and they have a fantastic harbour view. The restaurant was empty. I felt uncomfortable, as if every mouthful I ate was being watched. I cant quite put my finger on how to fix this.
The venue is perfect for a candlelight dinner venue.
The location is great and the menu can be simplified to incorporate a few of their best dishes and remove teh peripheral confusing menu items. With a bit of attention to the gloomy interior and a staff revamp, the Pors Captains House may become a restaurant of substance.

• Visited December 2011