“Great experience with elephants !”

Kwantu Private Game Reserve - Day Visits
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great experience with elephants !”
Reviewed April 11, 2012

A great experience and interaction with the elephants at cheap price.
An interesting talk and display is given, then it is time to really get up close and personal.

Truly amazing place and animals.

Something you have to experience!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“A brilliant wildlife and conservation experience :-)”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

The Kwantu team are experienced, helpful and enthusiastic on all aspects of wildlife

The accommodation and food was great, and the activities were second to none.

As a conservationist, good wildlife practices are important to me, which Kwantu greatly surpassed during my stay, for which I know this is always maintained by the reserve.

For a great experience, food, excellent accommodation, friendly environment and and authentic game reserve experience I would highly recommend Kwantu to anyone traveling alone or with others.

2 Thank kwmack
Buckingham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Most amazing experience of my life!”
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I visited Kwantu Game Reserve for 5 week's and did not want to leave! With so much hands-on work you really feel you are making a valuble difference to this amazing place. Going solo i was worried, but soon found everyone is very welcoming and lovely, volunteers and workers!! Being woken up every morning by the lions roaring and the monkeys racing over your roof is certainly not to be missed! Be prepared for tough work, and take a strong pair of gardening/work gloves - you will need them. During the summer, it does get chilly in the evening, so bring something warm to wear. Also, Kwantu offers great facilities - the volunteers dorm's are very well equiped, clean and comfortable...along with 2 pools, a cricket field, a fully equiped games room, internet access, satelite TV, DVD player, and much more. I would highly recommend this trip, along with sun cream!!!

3 Thank Christina W
Evesham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“What more can I say.......I want to go back, and soon!!”
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I was fortunate to visit Kwantu while Cheryl below was there, and because it is a working Game Reserve, it happened to be a time when there were no young cubs to interact with. This was not really a problem as there were plenty of other creatures to get up close and personal with, but I would check before you go if this is what you are looking for!
The pred camp where the older cats live is an amazing place, you get to feed the big cats a couple of times a week, always a spectacle to watch the hierarchy within the groups, and a great photo op.
Life at Kwantu came easy for me and I felt more at home than anywhere else I have traveled in the world, everyone is so friendly and helpful, a great place to meet new friends.
Living accommodation is top notch and way better than expected, 3 meals a day and someone even cleans the dorms and makes your bed for you every day (thanks Caesar!)
The work is voluntary and varied, so you can go at your own pace, there is no pressure if you need to rest a bit or sit out the squeamish bits (you may get a bit of friendly banter from the other volunteers though, which is to be expected!) it's all done in good spirit though!
The scenery in that part of the Eastern Cape is amazing, couple that with the incredible sun rises and sunsets, the Milky Way, and all to the sights and sounds of the African wildlife, makes this a place you will never forget!
I originally booked a 4 week stay, and actually stayed for 5, wishing I could stay much longer, and pretty sure I'll be going back, maybe even to do the Ranger course!
I understand this type of trip is not for everyone, but if you can leave your designer cloths and make-up at home, are passionate about wildlife and keen to join in and have a go at anything, aren't bothered by the odd scratch, bite and blister, don't mind getting sweaty, dirty, wet and cold (sometimes all at once!) and willing to step outside your comfort zone, then you could just have the experience of a lifetime.........I did!!

1 Thank RangerDave1963
middlesbrough
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Amazing”
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I have just got back after spending 8 amazing weeks volunteering at Kwantu Game Reserve. I had the best time of my life. If you like the outdoors, animals and not scared of hard work I would definitely recommend it!
Some of the work you do can consist of going onto the reserve to do, road fixing, fence patrol, weeding and cutting down alien vegetation and so much more.
I was lucky enough to complete the FGASA level 1 game ranger course while I was out there. This gave me the chance to learn so much more about the conservation of the reserve and how everything works together.
If your thinking about going to Kwantu I would advise that you take a decent pair of walking boots, a waterproof coat and lots of energy! You will need it. However even though the work is hard the rewards are worth it!

3 Thank cherylmoss