Lungile Backpackers Lodge
The Boardwalk Hotel(Summerstrand)
$172
$161
Priceline
Dolphin Dance Lodge(Port Elizabeth)(Great Value!)
$57
$38
$107
$93
Humewood Hotel(Port Elizabeth)
$93
  • Breakfast included
Garden Court Kings Beach(Port Elizabeth)
$130
Travelocity
SUN1 Port Elizabeth(Port Elizabeth)
$39
All reviewscity tourbed dormbeer yardbig kitchenaddo elephant parklounge areaenjoyed my stayswimming poolclean roomsgarden route triphome away from homegreat place to stayclose to the airportbazvibefireplacepe
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed in lungile for four nights. One of them was in a dorm, three of them where in the double. The dorm beds are oke, but they put a lot of beds in one dorm. This results in a quite noizy dorm with a lot af lights going on and people entering in late at night.

This is all made up for by the en-suite double. Beautiful room with poolview, nice comfortable shower and bed.

Lungile has a lot of permenent residents, studens or workers that return in the weekend but stay here during the week. These a friendly, openminded people that love to take you with them on their party strokes. It is not a quiet backpackers, but that is no problem for me at all.

The communal area is the best i have seen so far in a backpacker. Free pooltable is always a winner. Free internet and nice comfortable couches are the finishing touches.

Room Tip: If you have some extra money to spent, upgrade to the doubles. Definitly worth the money.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Roald O
Afrovibe, Manager at Lungile Backpackers Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Thanks for your review Roald, we are pleased that you had an enjoyable stay.

Hope to see you back at Lungile Lodge soon!

Reviewed August 19, 2012

Stayed here for a couple of nights before volunteering at a game reserve. Pickup arranged through hotel was not at airport when we arrived. We called the hotel and they said they would send someone. Upon talking to others staying at the lodge they experienced the same thing so it begs the question whether they actually arrange for the airport transfer in advance or just wait for you to call or show up on your own once deciding to get a taxi. Private double was a very large room with sink and shower in main area and toilet stall behind folding door. Stayed during Winter season (July) so room was freezing at night! Cold tile everywhere didn't help. Great hot showers though! Main lodge/lobby area was nice with 2 large couches, pool table and computer. Main lodge/lobby was also very cold. Free wifi in lobby was available. Kitchen was large with cooking pots/utensils. Fridge was out of order and according to other guests who had stayed a couple of weeks previous it was broken then too. Not sure what the dorms were like as we had privates. 3 or 4 block walk from waterfront. Spur and McDonalds were just down the street and other restaurants nearby as well. Overall, decent place but if you have some extra cash hotel might be a better option.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your review MikeandLisha.

At the time you stayed with us we had a standing arrangement with a taxi company to do all of our airport transfers. Since the taxi company failed to arrive punctually on numerous occasions we decided to terminate the agreement. We have since partnered with a different company and we can assure you that these situations will not re-arise.
The reason the fridge did not work was as a result of a reoccurring problem which has been fixed.

We hope you enjoyed your volunteering experience at the game reserve.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

I went to this backpackers b/c of the great reviews it received. Overall my stay was a little better than average. The first dorm I was in was quite dark and had a stench so I ask to move and it was no problem. The new dorm was much more brighter, had an ensuite bathroom, and seemed cleaner. The shower I used prior to the room change had mold all over the ceiling but the new shower was very clean.
The workers were all very helpful and friendly with any questions or concerns. I would recommend Lungile to others.

• Stayed: August 2012

Hi JenCoo,

Thanks for your review and your willingness to recommend Lungile. The mold in the communal bathrooms has been cleaned and the ceilings have been repainted with an oil based paint. This should eliminate the mold problem for good!

Reviewed August 2, 2012

A stone throw from the beachfront, Excellent location! for visitors not knowing the area, the staff members were also very helpful with giving easy directions' & a map, Very Cosy 'African vibe lounge' - at home feel, Free internet, (kitcen & tv room bit small & bathrooms cud do with sum upgrading in the main house) The Wooden cabin's outside's a bit cold for winter, but staff were very helpful to move us into a nice sunny room in the House :)

Room Tip: The main building is good for groups or solo's, whereás the rock built en-suites, wud be kwite romantic for couples :))
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Hi keenen,

Thanks for your review. Upgrading our bathrooms in the main house is definitely onour list of renovations. We hope to have these renovated within the next few months.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed in the dorm room four nights the first time and two nights the second based on recommendation. Upon first arrival in PE, I had booked a pick up from the airport and reminded the lodge the day before as requested. No one came and I had to call again from the airport. Same thing happened to my friends when they arrived a couple of days later. When I walked into the lodge, first impression was positive. When I was shown around, I was told the fridge doesn't work, nor one of the tvs. The fridge was a pretty big deal as I was staying a few days. When I walked into the dorm room I was overwhelmed with the smell of urine and the bedding was exceptionally old and worn. I was thankful for my sleeping bag as the single blanket provided would not have kept me warm. The one toilet in the dorm is so close to the wall you have to sit on it sideways so you don't smack your knees. The roof leaks when it rains and the toilet doesn't stop running. When I came back two weeks later, the fridge still wasn't fixed. The nearest grocery store is about a 30-40 minute walk.

On a positive note, the place seemed friendly enough. It is very close to the beach and some restaurants. The common area is pleasant enough. For a backpackers it's alright.

With some improvements, it could be a four star (which it claims to be). I am being generous in my three star rating the way it currently sits. Maybe the private rooms are better.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo