“In need of a few improvements”

Lungile Backpackers Lodge
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Stayed in the dorm room four nights the first time and two nights the second based on recommendation. Upon first arrival in PE, I had booked a pick up from the airport and reminded the lodge the day before as requested. No one came and I had to call again from the airport. Same thing happened to my friends when they arrived a couple of days later. When I walked into the lodge, first impression was positive. When I was shown around, I was told the fridge doesn't work, nor one of the tvs. The fridge was a pretty big deal as I was staying a few days. When I walked into the dorm room I was overwhelmed with the smell of urine and the bedding was exceptionally old and worn. I was thankful for my sleeping bag as the single blanket provided would not have kept me warm. The one toilet in the dorm is so close to the wall you have to sit on it sideways so you don't smack your knees. The roof leaks when it rains and the toilet doesn't stop running. When I came back two weeks later, the fridge still wasn't fixed. The nearest grocery store is about a 30-40 minute walk.

On a positive note, the place seemed friendly enough. It is very close to the beach and some restaurants. The common area is pleasant enough. For a backpackers it's alright.

With some improvements, it could be a four star (which it claims to be). I am being generous in my three star rating the way it currently sits. Maybe the private rooms are better.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed June 30, 2012

Honestly like a home away from home! I stayed here two nights and would reccommend this backpackers to anyone. The price is right, the staff are fantastic, free internet, a swimming pool, pool table, always someone to talk to, to drink with, and such a friendly safe environment. I stayed up chatting to the staff and other backpackers until about 6am on my first night! Perfect for those of you who want to party, but also quiet at night and very respectful if you need to catch some sleep or read by the fire. Kitchen available for use, fridge to store any food you want to buy, near to everything - perfect! Would love to come back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Was a nice hostel good staff and cool feel to it!! stayed in a private room and dorms! had no problems in either! really close to the beach! a little bit of a walk to the shops but that was fine, had a pool but when i was here no one went in it!

Room Tip: no fitness centre! but everything else was cool!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Lungile Lodge is one of the reasons Port Elizabeth is known as the 'The friendly city', of this I have no doubt.

I've been spending at least 7 - 10 days of every month at Lungile Lodge, I live in Cape Town, but my company is based in Port Elizabeth. Even though I've been given the choice to stay in hotel or a B&B in so called 'quality accommodation' I choose to come right back to the backpackers, a place, which thanks to the wonderful people who work here, feels like my home away from home. They go out of their way to make the many people from all over the world, passing through, experience the essence of South African hospitality.

It has changed my perspective on backpackers in general, as well as Port Elizabeth.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank MHennink78
Reviewed May 19, 2012

port elizabeth ends up being a stopping point in any direction you travel, and lungile is a great place to stay, close to the airport AND the beach. the staff were friendly enough, the bunks and washrooms fairly standard issue but clean. the hostel has a great living room area, with couches and fireplace, very nice for hanging out in. close enough to food and fun as well, and easy to get to the city centre.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank soleron
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Very relaxed place, beer, pool and pool...; as in billards and swimming. Had fun playing pool with Freddy, and good times with the braai next to the pool. See you next time!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 14, 2011

We had an awesome staying my family and I, the rooms were very clean and quiet. We loved play pool with Fred, he is so funny and always smiling, Bibby was it too. We would have staied longuer but we run out of time but for sure we will come back again soon!!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family