“Most enjoyable stay”

Ranked #13 of 81 Plettenberg Bay B&B and Inns
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Most enjoyable stay”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

From booking through to confirmations, arriving and departure, everything was handled efficiently and professionally. Friendly and accommodating staff , especially Kathy who manages the guest house. I would definately visit again and reccommend.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

pelhamreid, Manager at Cornerway House, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
So glad you had an enjoyable time and the girls got to taste the nightlife.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Chicago, Illinois, Usa
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My wife and I are Americans and we enjoyed our three night stay at Cornerway House. The rooms have a selection of wonderful furniture and enjoyable art. The bathroom is beautiful with a four inch slab of wood for the counter where the bathroom sink sits. Also, beach towels are included with the regular towels. Also, there is a lot of closet space.

The owner opens up his living room and study to his guests and offers breakfast either outside or inside. The breakfast was tasty and the manager's restaurant recommendations were excellent. Their recommendations for daily activities were also excellent. The first day my wife and I enjoyed a long walk down the beach which took about three hours and the second day my wife and I hiked the Robberg Peninsula, which is a wonderful nature reserve with a seal colony and many wonderful sights of the ocean, the peninsula, birds, animals and vegetation. The vegetation found in this area is similar and often the same to that found in South California. They have eucalyptus trees, Bougainvillea flowering plants, agapanthus, ice plants, etc. The much of the look of the vegetation looks like the chaparral vegetation found in South California. The beaches look much like those found in Santa Barbara, California.

This place also has a small to mid-sized pool. The gardens at the Corner House are beautiful and well kept.

The Corner House is located in a wealthy neighborhood. Many people from Johannesburg have beach houses in Plettenberg Bay.

The Corner House appears to have a very good security system.

The owner is a former equestrian who enjoyed fox hunts. He grew up in England and moved to Plettenberg about ten years ago. He is friendly and takes the time to engage in a good conversation. Also, the manager does a good job. She even wrote me to be sure I put a review in tripadvisor.

After my wife and I left Cornerway House, the owner of Cornerway House received an important message about the declining health of my wife's aunt and he forwarded this message to our South African travel agent who then forwarded the note to my wife. While my wife was disappointed to learn of her aunt's declining health, she really appreciated that Cornerway House forwarded this message to her. As a result, my wife had a chance to relay a message to her aunt before her aunt died.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

pelhamreid, Owner at Cornerway House, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you for this glowing review. I am so sorry you could not stay longer. It was great having you to stay.

Kindest regards.

Robin
flobie7
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We had a great stay at Cornerway House and I would definitely recommend. It wasn't my first choice for Plett (the places that I had wanted to stay - which were significantly more expensive - were already fully booked); but I'm really glad that we ended up stayed there.

We spent 3 night there - but could have stayed longer. The breakfast is the best that I had in the whole of my trip (staying in many other very good 5* B&B's), and the manager (Kathy) and host (Robin) were exceptional. They could not have done more to make us feel welcome - they booked reservations at restaurants, for the whale watching, and cat sanctuary (where we walked the cheetahs - amazing) and gave us a lot of personal recommendations for the area which were appreciated.

The communal areas are spotless and beautifully maintained - very homely - whilst the grounds outside are beautiful also. The only reason that I gave it 4 for the room was that it was slightly dated for my tastes. We like modern, minimalist, sleek B&Bs (for example Trevoyan in Cape Town and Plumwood Inn in Franschoek), and this is the very opposite, so whilst lovely - it was not to my personal preference.

We had an excellent stay overall however, and it would 100% be my first choice for a return visit to Plett which should indicate how trivial a point this is in the overall scheme of things and what a lovely place this is.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Cottage room which was lovely as separate to the main building with it's own pr...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
pelhamreid, Owner at Cornerway House, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is always helpful to receive objective comments. Next time we will put you in a more modern room
Marple, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed for 4 nights and had 2 rooms - the Cottage and Sage rooms. The rooms are clean, well equipped and very comfortable. We really enjoyed our stay and Robin was very friendly and helpful with recommendations for restaurants and trips.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

pelhamreid, Owner at Cornerway House, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
We so enjoyed having you to stay and thank you for your very kind comments. I do hope we see you again sometime.
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed in the Cornerway House for 2 nights although origin planned to spend only one night. The decoration of the place is beautiful!! Starting from the gardens and public areas and ending in the room with all great little decoration touchs. I wish our home will look like the Cornerway House.
The hospitality by Kathy and Robin was fantastic and they were really pleasant and helpful:-)
Finally we had the best breakfasts in our SA trip, sitting infront of the pool.
I would definitely recommend this place and wish wr could return soon.

• Stayed October 2013
pelhamreid, Owner at Cornerway House, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you for your review. It is always so useful to have peoples opinions.

Thnaks
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We stayed at Cornerway House for three nights. We were very pleased with the friendly welcome, the house and the breakfasts but it was the hosts who we really cannot thank enough for all they did for us. They were exceedingly helpful, especially when one of us needed urgent medical attention during the night. We can thoroughly recommend this guest house.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

pelhamreid, Owner at Cornerway House, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay and that we could help
Israel
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I choose this place based on the recommendation in tripadvisor and i am happy i did so. The host and his guesthouse manager did everything they could to help us arrange our trip related staff during the three days we stayed there. They made all our bookings, they made sure we know how to get from one place to another, as we were with a rented car and weren't familiar with the roads around. They were so nice and helpful, really good people. The room was big and spacious, and was perfectly cleaned every day, we received everything we asked for. There was heating system for the ones who suffer from cold, there is car parking spot, there is a nice garden where you can sit and read books, and there is a rich breakfast served every morning. I enjoyed a lot my stay in Cornerway, but would recommend it more for those travelling with car, as it is a bit far from the Central beach area...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
pelhamreid, Owner at Cornerway House, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
I know that when I am travelling a friendly place to rest my head always adds to ones holiday. I am pleased you found that with us.