All reviews private beach glass shower sea facing room was beautifully decorated sound of the waves stayed for two nights amazing views luxury
Reviewed March 10, 2008

I spent two nights at The Plettenberg Park Hotel on the 7th and 8th of March 2008 and thought I have to write a few lines to clear up some misconceptions in previous Tripadvisor reviews of this establishment.
The attentive staff (Brett, Kyle, Cindy, Lizelle, Tyler and the rest of their team) really made my stay extra special and provided fantastic service at all times without being overbearing or intrusive.

Whilst some of the lightly coloured couches in the bedroom could do with a good cleaning, the bedlinen, beds, tablecloths, towels and all furniture and decor in communal areas were brand new and sparkling clean. Coupled with the fact that the pool has beautiful lake views and sea-facing views, it sounds like the hotel has undergone a major upgrade all round since reviews posted pre-2008.

No request was too much trouble for the staff and I loved the flexibility of the chef Lizelle, who phoned and enquired what I would prefer for mealtimes and who exceeded my expectations every time!

This hotel is indeed expensive accommodation, as mentioned in previous reviews, however, my experience is that they cater for the well-heeled traveller who places a premium on service and overall quality, rather than being solely price-sensitive. That said, the mini bar was well priced in international terms, as was the wine list in the main dining room whilst all food was of a very high standard. The en-suite bedrooms are hugely spacious and that in itself makes the price worthwhile for me as well as making a refreshing change from matchbox-sized European hotel rooms.

The staff organised a beautiful picnic lunch (complete with parasol, picnic basket, ice bucket, drinks, blankets and towels) for me on the hotel's private beach which is inaccessible by road, and therefore completely unspoilt. As a single traveller I appreciated the attentiveness of the staff members at Plett Park, since one is easily overlooked when travelling alone in bigger sized hotels.

I spent an unforgettable two nights at Plett Park and I'm in the process of finalising my next booking. This is the ultimate get-away for a long weekend or a 4-night stay if you're craving restorative sea views, tranquility, peace, great spa treatments and fantastic food and service.

Date of stay: March 2008
Reviewed February 8, 2008

We had our wedding at Plett Park three weeks ago. Having never seen the place until we arrived the day before, it was a bit of a gamble (especially as we were also flying 22 of our family out for the occasion!) - but the gamble paid off big time. This hotel gave us a wedding weekend we will never forget. We had the luxury of having the hotel to ourselves for three days as we took over all nine rooms. Every single staff member was so attentive without being intrusive, all the small details had been anticipated, the food was incredible, the hotel itself and views out of this world. Even the change of GM three weeks before didn't cause any problems - it just meant that we had two managers overseeing things on the day instead of one! Only down side was that it meant everywhere we stayed during the honeymoon felt like a bit of a disappointment after this!
Jen & Justin - Bristol, UK

Date of stay: January 2008
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed February 25, 2007

We stayed for three nights at Plettenberg park in February.

The reviews which say that the hotel is tired are accurate. It was clearly designed and refurbished about 10 years ago. As it is all very pale and white the furnishings in both the rooms and the central area are looking grubby, and in some cases are frayed and have holes in them - as the previoous reviewer noted - not particularly what you expect from a five star hotel.

The views however are amazing, and if you want somewhere to relax then this is the place. There is no cellphone reception at all at the hotel, the rooms are huge, and if it is cool you have a living flame fire in your room to cosy up to.

The pool is small and has no views. You also need to bear in mind that you will be nearly 5km from the nearest restaurant - so unless you want to pay for taxis (approx 200 rand round trip.) or drive - then you will be eating at the hotel - and when we were there that could have meant eating on your own one night.

I would not however recommend staying unless you are prepared to upgrade to a seaview room - it is the five star aspect to this hotel - without it the hotel would be seriously overpriced.

Date of stay: February 2007
4  Thank JLS24
Reviewed November 15, 2006

We got married and stayed a few nights at Plettenberg Park. It is located just outside Plettenberg. Upon arrival you have to make a call to the main building for them to open the gates for you. The views are spectacular. Our room was nr:210, the honeymoonsuite. Decor is all wood and white linen with african and a bit of asian influence. The is no cellphone reception available at the hotel's location,so your sort of cut off. There is however a regular phone that you can use in your room. We stayed 5 nights and never did the chef discuss our dinner options with us as mentioned on their website. Dinner was magnificent though. Their breakfasts are also very nice. We used the jacuzzi and staff lit candles for us,but we never got any sparkling wine (as mentioned on website). Staff are all very nice and eager to help whenever. The only thing that bothered me once was when we came back from a day of sightseeing and had to call to the main house to open the gates,nobody answered. We were stuck outside the gates for 15 minutes and very tired. We eventually called a farm nearby that also shares that gate and informed them we are hotel guests and nobody is answering the phone.....Another thing about the hotel is that the condition of the furniture is not the best...In the reception area there is a chair where the springs are literally hanging out from underneath it and in the lounge area the chairs have big brown stains and burn marks on them. You have to be 100% blind not to see it. Not very five star. We enjoyed our stay there but would not give this hotel 5 stars. It was highly overpriced for what we actually received. I have stayed in many 5 star places and I feel Plettenberg Park has potential but it needs to pay attention to detail and keep up with promises.

Date of stay: November 2006
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
5  Thank Whatsmyname
Reviewed October 9, 2005

Stayed 2 nights at the end of September. Had the corner room on the upper floor, overlooking the ocean. Even our shower had a view.

Our room was outstanding, breakfast on the terrace was lovely and the location is truly memorable - just a shame the dinner we had failed to live up to its pretensions. The chef obviously has high ambitions without the skill to match.

That said, we'd be more than happy to go back and just go for dinner somewhere else in Plett.

Date of stay: September 2005