“Very pleasant evening and good food.”

Ghillies Grill at Peroni Cafe
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Very upmarket lifestyle centre in the heart of plett with great views
Reviewed January 28, 2014

This was our 2nd choice of the evening, the first being closed. It was very busy when we arrived but a table was found for us. Our waiter was very pleasant and explained some of the dishes to us, my Husband wanted Chicken Curry and asked if it was mild could they spice it up for him, which they duly did and I wanted a pasta dish and asked him to pick one for me as I liked them all, he picked the seafood one, which was delicious. The only downside was the waiting for our food, it took a long time coming, but we weren't in any rush and when it did finally arrive it was excellent.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

We went to this restaurant with a group of 10 adults and 10 children. It all started off fine and they were generous to agree to split our bill according to our families which we know is a hassle - If they couldn't do it they should have just said No. The restaurant was very quiet.
From the outset the waiter was grumpy and rude. The food started arriving in family batches which is not ideal, but understandable. The first plates arrived after about an hour and 20 minutes. I waited for over 2 hours for my food which arrived about 30 minutes after my friends had finished eating! My Rump steak was like rubber and tasteless. My 12 year old son did not get his food after waiting for over two hours! Everyone else including the adults had finished eating. We had mentioned that he was waiting for his food at least 5 times during the wait. After challenging the owner on it and saying our son was falling asleep after waiting for 2 hours, his response was that it was not his fault our child was sleepy. He then started getting aggressive and shouting. He was very defensive and blamed our split bill on the over 2 hour wait. What a joke - the wimpy down the road does that everyday without a groan.After offering to comp the late calamari starter order we then found it on our bill. A simple "Sorry, we forgot your son's order" would have solved everything, but instead we got shouted at by the guy who we just spent over R2000 with. We will never be back! What a joke.

1  Thank Derek B
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I have dined at Ghillies on a number of occasions. I am a Plettenberg Bay local, and every time we go there I order the same meal....fillet steak. We never book a table, but are never disappointed. It is always divine. If the weather is good we can sit on the stoep, the service is good and the food is excellent. The last time we went there, the restaurant was full, and we managed to grab the last vacant table. Before ordering our meal, we discovered that we had both inadvertently left our wallets at home ; explaining this to the owner, he was more than happy to allow us to eat there, and trusted that we would pay him by EFT in the next day or two. This was such a relief to us, thank you to Ghillies! The food was great and the service was also good. I would recommend this restaurant without hesitation.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Been here several times during the years in season, always been some of the slowest service in plett, but nothing else to really complain about other then there is always a quite extensive list of things that they have no more left of...
We were told 1 hour wait for food when we sat down, told by the waiter that there was no point ordering starters because that would take as long... After 1,5 hours still no food. The waiter called the owner over.. woman with a rude tone, had she just apologized for for the inconvenience we would have been happy, but she never did that just excused and said that all of plett was as bad (NOT TRUE, we have been to many other places in season nobody that bad) After two hours our food arrived...
Friends of ours have also had two not so good experiences there.

1  Thank Kathleen-Chili
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Really a burger joint with average food. Service was appalling. When asked by the owner if everything was good - we politely answered the service wasn't great.He proceeded to say he was doing us a favour by giving us a table at 9pm!! What restaurant closes at 9pm in the high season! This guy had absolute zero manners and customer service. Why ask the question if you dont want to hear the response.
We have not experienced this anywhere else in South Africa. Appalling. avoid, avoid avoid

1  Thank Feenz2014