“No way!”

Ranked #64 of 100 Restaurants in Plettenberg Bay
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Relaxed setting, serving thin based pizza, pasta and a grill specializing in steaks and fish meals. Stunning Cocktail bar for pre-dinner, any occasion drinks.
Reviewed December 31, 2013

I had dinner with my father at Cornuti al Mare, food was ok - very disappointing but eatable. We told to our waiter we would have a quick smoke break before coming back for the dessert. We went back to our table after 5 minutes and the table had already been given to other guests. One of the managers (who's maybe even one of the owners), the same one who gave our table away, continued asking why we left the table without finishing our meals and drinks: we were so disappointed by such a rude behavior. The bottle of wine was taken off the bill and we only paid for the food and the bottle of water. We really wouldn't recommend this restaurant, the only positive point was our waiter, who was very nice and welcoming.

1  Thank LoveForTravelling101
piero c, Owner at Cornuti, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2014

I do recall this unfortunate situation. You and your father went to the courtyard to smoke leaving your table - The runner cleared the table and one of the patrons sitting close to your table brought your father's jacket to me saying that you had left and it was left behind. I immediately put the jacket in a safe place and proceeded to seat the next table from my two hour waiting list. It was truly an unfortunate situation for which I apologize - I do however find it rather childish that you chose to slate the entire experience because of this. We seat over 1000 hungry people a day in season and we all work under extreme pressure.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

we arrived at 7pm and were immediately seated in the bar as there was no space in the restaurant, we were a group of 10 with small children, our drinks arrived promptly and the children were charmed by the dumpy coke bottles that you don't usually see at restaurants, our meals, pizzas, salads and fish were great, fresh ingredients and the wait was acceptable as the restaurant was full. The waiter and the 2 friendly managers checked on us often and the runners made sure our table was cleared. Overall it was an excellent experience.

1  Thank nicci b
Reviewed December 21, 2013

With Cornuti right on our doorstep, we actually got round to go to this 'very busy' restaurant after 2 weeks of being in Plett. We stopped there in the morning to make a booking for the evening and was informed, "Sorry no bookings, first-come-first-serve". On arrival just after 7pm, we found several open tables but were informed they were "Full", and our family of 4 was placed at a 2 seater table to wait for a table to open. (why the open tables if they are full, or are they taking bookings from 'regular' customers although they denied this online?). When we eventually got our table and we placed our orders, the waiter faded away. After a very long time with no waiter we received 1 of the 2 starters ordered and 3 of the main meals ALL AT ONCE. We requested the main meals be taken away and to ensure NOT to send us warmed up lasagne's and pizza. After a furhter 10 minutes the 2nd starter arrived. We now had 3 other waiters running around with our food.
The best was when one of the waiters came to ask if he could bring us the desert menu, however, we were still waiting for the MAIN MEAL!
When the main meals arrived, it was clear that the lasagne was warmed up. The top of half of one of the Lasagnes was not edible and had to be removed. Our waiter was still in fading mood. After the meal we ordered a coffee. 15 Minutes later there was still no coffee and also no waiter. We called another waiter and told him to leave the coffee and bring the bill. After another 10-15 minutes our waiter arrived with the bill, STILL NO COFFEE, but he charged us for it. He was told to remove it. The matter was reported to the so-called manager, but he clearly has no understanding of what his role is. After quite some time we received the corrected bill and paid.
This was the poorest service and food ever. It really looked so inviting but ended up being a nightmare dinner.
We will never return, sadly it could have been such a convenient restaurant as it was just accross the street from our accommodation.

2  Thank ElsabeHowes
piero c, Owner at Cornuti, responded to this reviewResponded December 22, 2013

Dear Patrons from Rustenberg

I am very disappointed to read of your bad experience. Firstly I would like to say that we simply do not take bookings in season, in 20 years we have never done so. We do however hold back tables to allow the kitchen to cope with large numbers of people sitting down at once. If this gives the impression that tables are reserved, this is simply not the case.

Regarding your experience, I would like to emphasize that Plett in general and Cornuti jn particular goes from zero to 100 in 2 days. The waiters are always somewhat green initially, but learn quickly and we take pride in educating these young people that are mostly getting their first work experience and interacting on this level with people on for the first time. We have been doing this for 20 years and most of these young people return years later as Advocates, CEO's and successful Professionals. Unfortunately for you, who have experienced the initial stages of this learning curve, service might be at fault. For that I apologize, but we do endeavor to try and improve on service all the time.

Our food, on the other hand is of a high standard and we get compliments all the time, we also go to great lengths to use the finest ingredients available. The compliments we generally get from well seasoned travellers and cultured European visitors. As much as we try to please everybody all the time, this is simply not possible, especially in season.

Please enjoy the rest of your dining experiences and reviewing whilst you go about "bothering" to go out.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

It is restaurants like this that make me ask myself why I bother? Why battle to get in, to get a table, to put up with the slow service and re-heated food, and be charged premium prices, when for a fraction of the price, I could enjoy toast and Marmite in front of the telly! Actually, I think toast and telly are preferable. Cornuti is just tiring! It is just not worth the bother. I am SO tired of overpriced holiday season restaurants full of pathetic sycophants that will tolerate any manner of abuse in the pursuit of 'holiday fun'. Well, not me!
1. We tried at lunchtime to make an evening booking. We were told 'first come, first served'. Fair enough, except when we walked in at 7pm, there were a row of reserved tables, while we had to wait for a table. So why? What do you have to pay; who do you have to know, to reserve a table?
2.Our waiter started slowly, then slowed down. Appearances at our table were less and less frequent throughout the night.
3.Table of 4. We ordered 2 starters and 4 mains. 2 starters and 2 mains arrived together. Problem either way, but a bigger problem in that one of the mains was destined for someone who also had a starter. So the mains were whisked away, but we stated clearly that we did NOT want these same mains back later, reheated. Well, that is exactly what we got back eventually: reheated lasagne, with all the accompanying treats: a solid layer of hard inedible pasta and cheese all around the dish, and a top layer covering it. All the parts that make lasagne delicious: ruined!
4. Eventually we had had enough. But how to get the bill? Took us 20 minutes to get the bill, sitting there with empty plates that were never cleared away. I made the mistake of ordering a coffee while I waited. This never arrived, but was included in the bill.
5. Eventually, I desperation, I took up the matter with the manager. Totally ineffectual. He added 5 - 10 minutes to the resolution process, promised a discount, then reneged and asked us to settle in full, and he would give us a voucher for our next visit - see him at the door as we left. Well, we settled in full, and left, and guess what? He was nowhere to be seen. Well, no loss. This is one place we will NOT hurry to revisit!

1  Thank GwilymHowes
Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Dispute the bad reviews we checked out this place for lunch and was blown away.

The food was fantastic, service was fast and helpful and the manager even came over and had a chat which was very nice.

Recommend this place for great pizza, cocktails and the caprice salad.

Very well priced, and a great atmosphere.

Hope they continue to impress, we will be back!