“Not a nature reserve”

and up
2-Hour Horse Safari at the Plettenberg Bay Game Reserve
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Game drives and horse back safaris , game viewing excellent , all in Big 5 territory,all for only R490.00 per person
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed December 23, 2012

Somebody bought a few farms and dumped a handfull of game animals onto it. More like an open air zoo than a park. Also, at R400 a person, is ridiculously overpriced. Only worthwile seeing the golden wildebeest, very rare! Guide was enthusiastic and helpful, but not overly informative. The two lions and four wild dogs are kept in a seperate enclosure.

All reviews
"horse ride"
"fantastic experience"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed December 15, 2012

I won a game drive as a prize and I totally did not expect how lovely and interesting it would be. From the baby rhino (what an adorable boy he is) to the golden gnu, the knowledegable game ranger lady to the time management (we had to catch a flight back home) this was a class experience.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

We booked a night in the Baroness Game Lodge and then a game drive the following day. We were greeted by Winnie who showed us round first and then to our room. She was most offended that I did not want help with bringing my suitcase from the car! The room had the most character of any we have stayed in and we loved the bath although we did not use it.

I particularly noticed the way the two other girls served our meal and wine. I am sure that they must have had excellent training or had been to catering college as their service was better than most of the top class restaurants that we have been too. It was a lovely touch to light the fire in the Bomas even though it was raining and a very nice treat to find our electric blanket had been put on to warm the bed.

Winnie brought us some fresh fruit for breakfast and warm toast (although there could have been a bit more bacon). We paid our bill and gave them a tip for excellent service.

It was, initially, a very wet game drive but our guide tried very hard to find the rhinos and, after the third circuit, she found the lions. She was very informative and interesting. Almost at the end of the drive, by the buffalo, she noticed we had a deflated tyre. She asked if we minded if we went back to change it, but, in compensation, gave us a lot of extra time looking a the giraffes and hippos.

In summary, an excellent attraction with superb staff.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I was attracted by the chance of a horse-back safari - so booked with the park. You drive through part of the park on the way to the reception. Unfortunately - it rained and the ride had to be rescheduled. You will have heard about 'every cloud with a silver lining' .... in this case, I got to stay overnight in the Baroness Lodge (to start with) - very comfortable with good food & helpful staff, roaring log fires & a wonderful view out over the hills - there was even free wifi.

The second 'good fortune' was that I was the only person booked on the morning ride - so had the guide all to myself. As other reviewers have said - you get in close to the animals - even Rhino & Hippo! The guide was very knowledgable and the horse very patient (with my weight on her back). I really enjoyed being able to ride away from where the safari trucks went. Memorable experience that I will definitely do again.

1  Thank Chris_from_Dorset