“Delightful accommodation and good game drive”

Plettenberg Bay Game Reserve
Book In Advance
More Info
$57.89*
and up
2-Hour Horse Safari at the Plettenberg Bay Game Reserve
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Game drives and horse back safaris , game viewing excellent , all in Big 5 territory,all for only R490.00 per person
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We booked a night in the Baroness Game Lodge and then a game drive the following day. We were greeted by Winnie who showed us round first and then to our room. She was most offended that I did not want help with bringing my suitcase from the car! The room had the most character of any we have stayed in and we loved the bath although we did not use it.

I particularly noticed the way the two other girls served our meal and wine. I am sure that they must have had excellent training or had been to catering college as their service was better than most of the top class restaurants that we have been too. It was a lovely touch to light the fire in the Bomas even though it was raining and a very nice treat to find our electric blanket had been put on to warm the bed.

Winnie brought us some fresh fruit for breakfast and warm toast (although there could have been a bit more bacon). We paid our bill and gave them a tip for excellent service.

It was, initially, a very wet game drive but our guide tried very hard to find the rhinos and, after the third circuit, she found the lions. She was very informative and interesting. Almost at the end of the drive, by the buffalo, she noticed we had a deflated tyre. She asked if we minded if we went back to change it, but, in compensation, gave us a lot of extra time looking a the giraffes and hippos.

In summary, an excellent attraction with superb staff.

Reviewed December 7, 2012

I was attracted by the chance of a horse-back safari - so booked with the park. You drive through part of the park on the way to the reception. Unfortunately - it rained and the ride had to be rescheduled. You will have heard about 'every cloud with a silver lining' .... in this case, I got to stay overnight in the Baroness Lodge (to start with) - very comfortable with good food & helpful staff, roaring log fires & a wonderful view out over the hills - there was even free wifi.

The second 'good fortune' was that I was the only person booked on the morning ride - so had the guide all to myself. As other reviewers have said - you get in close to the animals - even Rhino & Hippo! The guide was very knowledgable and the horse very patient (with my weight on her back). I really enjoyed being able to ride away from where the safari trucks went. Memorable experience that I will definitely do again.

1  Thank Chris_from_Dorset
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Really enjoyed our trip ere. they have a good selection of game in the reserve and as it is mostly grassland, the animals are easy to locate and see. Having said this, the two giraffes managed to hide whist we were there!!!

Reviewed October 1, 2012

We stayed at the Baroness Lodge, Plettenburg Game Reserve, in August 2012. The accommodation was wonderful, as was the food and service.The lodge is small and friendly and nothing was too much trouble for the staff.. We were well looked after as the staff were so attentive. The lodge is in a magical setting and the game drive was great - we went on horseback and Robert, the man who led us was very knowledgeable. We definately hope to return.

2  Thank Elaine540
Reviewed September 22, 2012

It was my first time to go game-viewing by a horse. It turned out to be so good. You can get very close to the animals on a horse as they might thought you are just "a horse". The only thing people may don't like about it is that you will not be allowed to see the lion if you ride a horse. But we did get very close to many white rhinos, together with many other animals. It's not to say very very good but it's good enough and worth your money.