“Waste of money”

60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 196 helpful votes
“Waste of money”
Reviewed November 12, 2011

Joint this excursion for 650 Rands per person in October 2011.
After paying the price you walk to the beach and climb on board of a speedboat and takeoff to the open sea for a two hours whale encounter...DON'T think so, our boat had a problem with the engine and we floated adrift for 40 minutes at sea before the engine could be started up again !
Then we went off...we saw one whale very close to the boat but he was just swimming around us. I understand that wildlife nature can be ordered to perform some act's but regarding the high costs of this tour we expected a lot more things to see.
One hour later the guide told us that it was time to go back to the beach, everybody on board complained about this ! In fact, we were not the reason for the engine problems !
But, no way, we headed for the beach, show (?) was over point ! There goes our 1.300 Rands
We spoke to an Englishman from London and he was surprised that we booked a whale excursion in October at Plettenberg bay, he also booked this type of excursion in...Hermanusbay !!!
If we knew that this was going to happen we never ever had booked this excursion it is rip off !

Visited October 2011
5 Thank eMBieAntwerp

San Diego, California
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“The best choice for whale watching”
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I have done whale watching all around the world and Ocean Blue is one of the best companies I've ever dealt with. They're so good, I chose to go with them a second time. The boats are comfortable and provide great vantage points for photography. Naturalists really know and care about the animals. Everyone was warm and welcoming. Most importantly, they were excellent around the animals, giving us great views without bothering the whales. On top of this there were lovely touches like free coffee and water. I highly recommend Ocean Blue!

Visited September 2011
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“So many whales we did not know where to look.”
Reviewed September 12, 2010

Having viewed whales in both Alaska and in Canada we saw this as the best opportunity to see Southern Right whales in South Africa, and we were not disappointed. The first four whales that we sighted we were unable to get close too as they all had calves and the skipper moved away immediately, it was pleasing to see the environmental guidelines so strictly adhered to. As we moved along the coast however we finally arrived just off Keurboomstrand and were amazed at the number of whales that we did see and the proximity to the boat to which they came to of their own accord. At one stage we had whales mating to the right of us, following the boat from behind and even one rubbing itself on the underneath of the boat!
All we can say is what a fantastic experience provided by knowledgeable and very friendly staff – Thank you!

colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Ocean Blue Plett Bay, South Africa”
Reviewed November 16, 2009

My husband and I were staying at Pezula Resort outside of Knysna. I contacted them in advance to arrange for a private whale watching tour for my husband and I. I wanted it to be a special experience since my husband has never been whale watching and we were back in his homeland country of South Africa for a few weeks. Pezula booked what sounded like a great day of whale watching in Plettenberg Bay. This was not going to be an inexpensive adventure. Our contact at Pezula had booked the entire boat which seats 16 for the 2 of us. The employees of Ocean Blue had a difficult time launching the boat because it was just the 2 of us. After 40 minutes of fooling around on the beach, they were able to get the boat in the water. We drove over the the seal colony and then drove straight out to sea for about 2 miles. We saw nothing and drove back in 2 miles. We then went over to Robberg Peninsula to look for whales and we zig zagged back and forth in this area for a good 30 minutes and then we headed back into the bay. Our guide was less than knowledgeable about whale migration routes as well as the types of birds in the bay. It was a huge expensive disappointment. Avoid Ocean Blue at all costs. I would add photos, but we didn't see anything...

2 Thank coloradomd
Wolverhampton
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Whales - and really close!”
Reviewed September 14, 2009

I went on this trip in 2006 and ended up with some very good video - I am a professional but they didn't know that and I was using a cheap camera. After the Surf Launch we headed towards Robben Island and came across a whale who came towards us and stopped at about 50 feet. As we moved past him he gave an almighty splash with his tail and set off in the same direction as our boat and slightly ahead. This gave me some good action stuff for a very short sequence before we broke away - the boats are not allowed to approach close to the whales or to chase.

We went farther out on the lookout for a Humpback which had been reported earlier. No luck, so we turned back to the eastern side of the bay. Another boat was drifting along half a mile offshore and obviously had whales close by. We stopped at some distance and soon this small group of whales came towards us - probably 6 or so. Effectively we were in the 'pound seats' and just stayed where we were. One whale came straight towards us before sliding off and passing close alongside - maybe 10 feet away. He turned and came back for another look and this time I was hanging over the bow as he came right at me. This time he passed just below me. Just a wee bit frightening! As we looked around there were whales all around but not as close. Next day we went to Enrico's and stood on the cliff top for maybe an hour watching and filming a mother and her baby just outside the surf. They were soon joined by the dolphin gang who seemed intrigued by the sight of the whale feeding the calf. This is quite an active scene as the mother has to roll onto her back and this allows her two fins to break the surface as she tries to stay in position. After a minute or so she has to turn over to breathe. The calf was quite clearly visible and we were also treated to a surfing display by the dolphin gang. All this from the public car park on the low clifftop. We are back in Plett in a month's time so I will update this review.

1 Thank WolverhamptonVideo