“Average Business Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in East London
Stuttgart, Germany
“Average Business Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

I was on business for 2 weeks in EL and stayed in the Blue Lagoon. For the price it is not more than average. The food in the restaurant and bar is very good. The prices in the bar are ok and the rooms are ok. But the service is not acceptable. The staff which I met was mostly unfriendly and not able to call me a cab or the airport shuttle. 2 times they forgot it and had to order it when I wanted to leave. The same with the wake-up-calls...They just forget to do it.

Next time in EL i would choose another hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a room with view to the lagoon or sea...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Andreas B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Botswana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

Spent a night and never again. From the quoted price over the phone, price doubled next day when checking out. Not only that, we were a group of 6 people who could easily have fitted into one suite (which has plenty of space and enough beds) but were told to take two units.
Veyr basic and old fashiioned - could do with some renovation but had the basics in the self-catering kitchen.
Did not get any sleep that night due to cars parked below next to the lagoon with music blaring full blast as well as the music from their bar.
Front desk staff not interested in complaints of price difference - was quite rude in fact.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a quotation in writing before you get horribly ripped off.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank outofafricaBotswana
Cape Town
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2011

This little gem is worth a visit. I have just spent a week there while on a business trip to East London, it is very central and made getting to my appointments very easy. My room had the most spectacular view, the service was very good especially by the evening staff in the restaurant.
I had a large screen TV in my room with a good selection of channels, but somehow I never got to view much TV as I loved every moment of sitting on the balcony enjoying the most beautiful sunsets while watching all the activity on the beach and on the river.

I highly recommend the Blue Lagoon Hotel and will be returning for another week very soon.

Room Tip: Try and book a room with a river and sea view.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank bungee19
Johannesburg, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2011

The room was clean and nice. Hotel is far away from other amenities. Without a car you will not survive. Beach clean and accessible but there are no lifeguards. Staff helpful. Good for a quiet weekend with a book and beach walks.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Cape Town
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2011

My husband and I werre needing to overnight in East London and chose this Hotel becuase of its ease to the N2. We were put in a 2 bedroom flat, which needed to be upgraded desperately. 1 small TV in lounge with about 5 channels. Bedding was clean but lumpy and towels were grey. Toilet never stopped runnning the entire night and there was way too much Mildew in the shower stall.
Would not do this hotel again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank hattinghme
Wake Forest, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2010

Keeping in mind that I am in E. London S.A., the "Lagoon" is a good as any and better than most. The rooms are about average, few t.v. channels are available, no water view from almost all of the rooms, and the cost for goods received is below average. The rooms could do with an upgrade to justify the cost of the venue.
The bar, on the other hand, is pleasant with adequate stocks. The staff is eager to please and I receive good service at a fair price.
The restaurant is somewhat above average with a good menu selection and pleasing food. The head cook is very pleasant and cares about the quality of food being served.
The wait staff is defensive, a little slow, but, under the direction of the cook staff gets the job done.
Overall, an average stay with inflated prices.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank 2332123ed
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2009

Having used tripadvisor for a few years now I have very rarely had to write a review of somewhere that I thought was truly terrible as I tend to avoid places which get those reviews. However as this hotel had very few reviews I took a bit of a risk and booked it anyway, I'm sorry to say that I really wish that I had not.

Rather than indulge in too much of a rambling and emotive narrative about what I felt was so very poor about this hotel I thought I would do a "pro's and con's" comparison to let other travellers make up their own minds about whether it deserves my 1 star rating:

Pro's

- Good location down on the riverside, with really excellent sunsets
- Friendly bar and restaurant staff

Con's

- Upon arrival I sat out on the terrace to enjoy the sunset only to fall backward and crack my head on the wall because the chair had only 3 legs. It was only luck that prevented me falling through the plate glass window. I took the chair to reception and explained what happened, they simply laughed. There was no apology, no conern for the guest, nothing, just laughter.

- We were told that the little grey electronic key would give us access to the beach by the river (one of the attractions of staying there). However when we went to use it we discovered that the path to the beach was cordoned off and had been entirely dug up - the beach was inaccessible. How the reception staff did NOT know this, I have no idea.

- Upon arrival I noticed that there was considerable construction work going on at the hotel - I asked whether our room was near it, "oh no" I was told. However, it was, of course, facing the construction site. Banging starts at 7.30am by the way - what a nightmare.

- Other trivial points would be that there were cockroaches in our room (nowhere else in our tour did we encounter this) and that the food is expensive for what it is.

My main concern would be that the reception staff were just so plain rude - not even a "did you enjoy your stay" on check out. Chairs can be fixed, constuction completed but if the same uncaring, incompetant staff remain then nothing really changes.

Oh...they then had the cheek to charge me for the room twice!!! (In fairness I did get the second amount refunded).

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vedev
BlueLagoonHotel, General Manager at Blue Lagoon Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, September 15, 2010
Dear Vedev,
Thank you for your honest feedback about your stay at the Blue Lagoon Hotel, it is only through honest feedback like what we recieved from you that we can rectify our short comings. We sincerely apologise for not meeting your expectations and rendering poor service to you.

At the time of your stay the hotel was nearing a completion of a major refurbishment, which I am delighted to say has been completed, this has included a new walkway to the beach and new patio furniture for the rooms amongst other improvements.

All feedback wether positive or negative is invaluable to us to set standards and benchmarks in order for us to improve or make improvements to our product.

Once again our sincere apologies for the poor service and facilities that you recieved.

Kind Regards