“Ideal for a quick business stay”

Southern Sun Hemingways
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in East London
Reviewed November 3, 2013

The hotel is definitely of a better standard than other Southern Sun hotels I've stayed in. The rooms are somewhat cramped for space. I am beginning to wonder whether being a subscriber is of benefit at all and this must be the worst loyalty program around with no recognition on arrival, no special adavantage whatsoever. A room upgrade is offered at the highest tier and there are FOUR levels. The staff here are very pleasant and courteous. I would return to the hotel.

Room Tip: A 2 night maximum would be best
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Liz R, Manager at Southern Sun Hemingways, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Dear Yusuf
I was concerned to read that you feel that the rewards programme is not rewarding frequent guest like yourself. I am not sure if you are aware that the rewards have been realigned based on a survey which was done with members of the programme. In order to unleash the value of your rewards please visit our website on tsogosun.com .
May we suggest that when you make your future reservation that you request a corner room as these are larger in size and I am sure will meet your expectation.
To us you are a very special guest and we will do everything in our power to ensure that you are looked after during your stay.
Thank you for your patronage and I look forward to meeting you on your next visit to East London.
Liz
Deputy General Manager

Reviewed October 5, 2013

I have stayed at Hemingways many times. In fact, from the time it first opened its doors, almost 10 years ago. It has mainly been for business.

Everything about this hotel is great!

With it being recently extended and renovated, as a Frequent Guest President member I simply love your new look and feel!

The staff is very friendly, courteous and forever helpful. Well done to Tsogo Sun, who has invested in ensuring that staff is well trained!

The conference facilities are also very good and cater for all group sizes.

I will return to Hemingways again and again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Hemingways006, Manager at Southern Sun Hemingways, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

Thank you so much for your excellent rating of Hemingways Hotel. We value your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Hemingways.

Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for 2 nights while on business and was pleasantly surprised by the tastefully done renovations. The service was good and the meals were excellent. The bedrooms are a bit small, but it was fine for me alone. The bathrooms are ok, although rather plain. Overall a good experience.

• Stayed: September 2013

We are delighted that you are impressed with our new renovations and additions.
We pride ourselves in service delivery and really appreciate your feedback.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Hemingways.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel really gives value for money, luxury, clean rooms, staff is efficient nd friendly, food is fantastic. I would give this hotel a 10 and would reccommend it to anyone regardless of the nature of their stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your excellent review and for recommending Hemingways.
We pride ourselves in service delivery and appreciate your feedback.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Hemingways.

Reviewed July 3, 2013

This is a really lovely Hotel that combines the personal touch with a high rate of professionalism. It has everything from a beautiful swimming pool in tranquil settings to easy walk through access to a modern shopping mall with great shops & good Restaurants to suit all tastes & budget. I went there with friends who stay on a regular basis & the Hotel went out of their way to care for them during a stay in Hospital. They did their best to ease the worry over a triple by pass both pre & post surgery. The food is good & the rooms & bathrooms clean with everything provided.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for your excellent review on Hemingways Hotel.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Hemingways and we appreciate you taking the time to review our property.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is a really nice hotel, the rooms are a bit on the "tiny" side, but they have everything you need for a couple of days' stay. The food is plentiful and the breakfast really went presented, the staff smile at you a lot, very helpful. Its connection to the Mall makes this the right place to be, if you came to East London for the sea, then ask for sea-facing rooms, I grew up here even though I have moved around a lot, so its not really a requirement for me. I ended up holding my meeting in the breakfast room because their "lounge" in the foyer is too close to the reception desk, and they were nice, they worked around us, offering us drinks and asked us not to move on their account, nice people! I do think the combination of people, the Mall, the ambience, locality and views do work, a lot of the people I bumped into at breakfast are regulars at the hotel. The parking can be confusing, too many lifts but I just sneaked on the staff entrance and had I lift to contend with.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for your excellent review on Hemingways Hotel and for the constructive feedback. We do have rooms that have more floor space than the standard room. For future bookings you can request a SOFA room this is slightly bigger if you need more space in the room.
Once again thank you for taking the time to give us your review and feedback it is highly appreciated.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Today we arrived home from East London after a two week stay away from home. A two week holiday with the final four nights in Hemingways Hotel sounds like a ton of luxury. I am sure it would be if the two weeks had been for pleasure and not for a triple bypass surgery in East London. Two weeks with zero fun, limited mobility, and more difficulty than an Olympic gymnastic move. But the final four nights away from home added huge healing features to my recovery. Assistant MD Ms. Liz Rowland organized our accommodations and services specifically to cater to my post op physical challenges. There is no way we can thank her and her amazing staff at Hemingways! My experiences I do not reccommend; but Hemingways you can count on. I'll be back there in June when the recovery has advanced and maybe, just maybe the holiday feel will come. If not I assure you that Liz and the Hemingways Hotel staff will tend to your interests and comfort. What an amazing facility, staff, and management. The hotel rating says "4 Star" but I don't know about that!!! That probably does not count the stars in the crowns of Ms Rowland and her team. Bless them. See you in June.

Room Tip: Ask Ms Liz Rowland about the various room designs, layouts, and locations! My wife says there is no...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

It was wonderful being part of your healing process and I am delighted that we could make you comfortable and take care of you and your wife. Thank you for the excellent review and feedback.
We are looking forward to welcoming you and your wife back to Hemingways as we are missing you.