“Definitely a great place to stay on business.”

Southern Sun Hemingways
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in East London
Reviewed May 4, 2012

Excellent rooms! Comfortable beds and good quality linen! Quite far from ICC! Very helpful staff!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank KerryandGary

Reviewed April 29, 2012

This is the most beautiful hotel to stay at in East London . Very lovely staff as well !!!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Lerato M
Reviewed April 3, 2012

My family and I spent 3 nights at Hemingways. Friendly Helpful Management and staff went out of their way for us and surprised us with Bubbly, chocolates and fruit and cheese platter for our Wedding Anniversary. The Gym therefore was a necessity! The bedroom was comfortable, linen clean and soft. Restaurant staff went the extra mile to accomodate all requests and room service was great. Because the mall is attached to the Hotel there is loads of entertainment and shopping at your fingertips. I highly recommend this Hotel to anyone that is stopping over in East London.GM Liz Rowland was really on song - Thank you for making us feel at home!

Room Tip: The suites are worth every cent and affordable
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Helen d
Reviewed March 14, 2012

I spent 3 nights at Hemingways and thoroughly enjoyed the stay. The food was really good and the service was excellent.

A colleague of mine stayed at a B&B for half the price I paid and when I asked him how he enjoyed his room the answer was "There's a fridge in the room that made a noise all night and the bed is too small so either my feet or head would hang over the edge"!

There is construction going on at Hemingways (they are adding 41 new rooms plus bar, restaurant and conference pavilion) but the contractors were gone each night by 18h00, except on my last night. They were still working after dinner and making a racket. I phoned reception and was told they would be done by 21h30 but at 21h45 they were still working as they had a crisis to attend to.

I was then phoned by the duty manager who said he wants to move me and he came up himself and moved my belongings to a new room. In the morning I was phoned by another staff member who said she was going to give me a discount on my last night's accommodation. After I had checked out I was phoned by the deputy GM who apologized and said she would like to make up for the inconvenience at our next stay.

This type of reaction is usually not the norm with most other hotels we have stayed at! If there are problems we are made to feel as though we are at fault and remediation eventually comes but very slowly.

The staff at Hemingways also did other things differently - each day I returned from work there was a jug of ice-cold apple juice or sherry waiting for me in the reception with small pieces of pudding, when I ordered room service I got peppermints and tooth-picks and each Wednesday all guests are invited to drinks and snacks in the foyer. It's the small things that make a hotel stay memorable.

Problems do happen no matter the industry - it's how the problems are resolved that ensures client satisfaction and the staff at Hemingways were proactive, sincere and took action very quickly. We will be back!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank KrugerToKalahari
Reviewed January 5, 2012

checked in on new years day.
from the moment of check in until departure i was amazed at the quality of service.
the hotel just does not stop pampering each guest.
certainly felt most welcome and comfortable.
the staff were impeccable warm, friendly and accomodating
the service levels were exceptional.
the location is good, the bedrooms very comfortable and the food was awesome.
the breakfast was superb and the staff were attentive.
my kids absolutely loved the place and wanted to know when we were returning.
i would definitely recommend this place to any holidaymake or business traveller.
it was certainly a great way to round of a long trip thru the garden route and i am glad i stayed here.
thanks guys at hemingways (the reception staff, houskeeping and the restaurant staff) you guys made it an awesome stay

Room Tip: any room is a good room
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank maimunga
Hemingways006, General Manager at Southern Sun Hemingways, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2012

Hello Paul

It is a pity that I have not replied sooner. (There is a comment on here that chills my bones, puts me off logging in.)

It was a pleasure having your family here during the holidays.

It is great to have positive recognition for our team. So often people only tell you about the negative.

We look forward to welcoming you back hopefully, in the not too distant future.

With our best regards

Margaret

Reviewed December 31, 2011

Our stay at Hemingways can be regarded as nothing less than exceptional. In every respect this hotel cannot be faulted and our stay in East London was made very memorable as a result of Hemingways. The staff was fantastic and couldn’t do enough to make us feel welcome. Breakfasts were a daily treat and were outstanding quality and value for money. We enjoyed being on the doorstep of Hemingways Mall and even when not in the mood for shopping, put our feet up and basked in the tranquillity of the highly comfortable bedroom, which is almost surreal given the proximity to the bustling casino and shopping complex. With the exception of the swimming pool, there is limited activity for children but with the shopping centre on its doorstep, and given that this hotel is more likely to be geared to cater for business travellers, cannot be faulted for this. We travelled with enough activities to keep them entertained when they needed to be and were allowed to make use of the conference room on one occasion when we requested to do Sand Art with the kids. Every afternoon fruit juice, sherry, strawberries & cream and cheese & biscuits were laid out for guests to enjoy. We were sad to leave this hotel as it became our “home” and our one daughter asked if we could stay there forever!! Hemingways had commenced extensions at the time that we were there and we look forward to returning on future visits to the Eastern Cape to see and enjoy the finished product. Congratulations to all at Hemingways!! Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Paul L
Reviewed June 23, 2011

An all round super experience, from the friendly staff to the excellent restaurant. The seafood, squid and lobster especially, was as good as anything we found on the waterfront in Cape Town.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our room overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple