“Remains best in East London, clean, great sea views.”

Premier Hotel Regent
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in East London
London
“Remains best in East London, clean, great sea views.”
Reviewed April 15, 2011

Returned for fourth time on business, for three nights. Was moved at my request, with no trouble, from a smaller, clean but back room with no view, to vast clean and pleasant room with sea view on the front. Attentive front of house and room staff. Clean, pleasant and spacious lobby for receiving guests. Fast, efficient room service for drinks. Downside remains the restaurant, with only so-so breakfast offer, and slow service. Very good restaurant, Grazia, 200 metres along the beach front road. This has a great open esplanade for walking and watching ships, quite safe by day. Swimming beaches not far away, but need a car.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed March 23, 2011

Couch in terrible condition, shows dirt marks all over and stained. When sitting down, you fall into a hole with your back hurting against a plank behind you. Carpet torn on edges to bath/bedroom. Carpet shows dirt marks. Running bath water, shower activates by itself spraying all over. Booked into a Suite but surely could have got better value for money elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Potsdam, Germany
Reviewed January 16, 2011

The hotel is situated at the beach front. This sounds better than it is. The beach is dark and the area around the hotel is surely not the best one. The hotel bar has seen better days but was cheap and the quality of the food was good.

The room was clean, the bed was okay but the air conditioning didn't work. The street was loud. In sum a bit too expensive.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Gauteng
Reviewed December 2, 2010

Worst experience ever!. We dined at the resturant on the 14th of November. the service was shocking, but wait!. The meals we ordered arrived slap dash and uncooked, blood visible on the one , the other laden with fat. it looked gross!.the accompanying salad missing, incorrect rice, bread burnt!. We asked to see the manager, waited and waited to no avail. My Partner went into the kitchen to see if the chef could fix the meal. the manager was in the kitchen,he screamed/shouted and i had thought was going to get physically violent with us. He said if we did not like the food, not to eat it, infact it would suit him just fine if we left the hotel too! we went to lay a formal complaint at the front desk , only to find out he is the manager on duty. again he asked us to leave his hotel. We had no choice but to check out, by now it was 23H30. will never stay at this hotel again, see pics of the meal.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank SandyGauteng

Travelers are raving about these East London hotels

Reviewed September 15, 2010

The welcome was warming, friendly people, proper services and great facilities.

Stayed April 2007
capetown
Reviewed September 14, 2010

My stay with this hotel seemed like a comedy of errors. It started with the fact that the hotel entrance is quite deceiving, Once you drive in you think you're at the entrance however when you finally find the reception (on the first floor) you are asked to please bring your car around the side so that they can assist you with your luggage. Not a very good start after travelling around the country with banners and bags of luggage and after my colleague had already off loaded the car. Once we got to the reception we were told that they didnt have us on their system. After 35 minutes and proving (through emails)that the bookings were done with their hotel we were allowed to proceed to our rooms. That night from about 7:30 pm a "guests" car alarm began to blow profusely every ten minutes. We then asked the person at reception to please ask security to find the owner and ask them to turn down their alarm. At 2am nothing had been done. After trying to call reception several times I eventually went down in my pj's and asked once more why nothing has been done, to which i was told that they didnt know who the car belonged to and they cant do anything about it. So the hotel staff thought it was quite alright for several of their guests (so I've been told at breakfast the next day) to endure a sleepless night. I then asked them to please find me another room away from the noise to which I was asked to come down and get the key myself. Nedless to say the next day was none the better!
Take your own iron - they will not bring through an iron or an ironing board to your room, you would have to wait in line for a chance to iron your clothes. I did so, only to find black dirt marks on my white shirt from a dirt encrusted iron and ironing board!!!! Not something a business person would like to experience!
But it gets worse. At dinner that night after 45 minutes of waiting, I get asked if they can make my chocolate milkshake with a "funny tasting ice cream" which turned out to be lemon sorbet. They cant give me my vegetarian dish as the gas is almost finished and they cant make me a salad either. So I returned to bed hungry, tired and rather annoyed to find that the room next to me is having a party with several people running in and out.

The price of the hotel was ridiculous, the food (from what I did taste- mediocre) and everytime I asked for the manager, I got another person from reception. None of my colleagues were happy either as each had their own bad experience.

Definitely will not be returning.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed July 23, 2010

We had to stay in East London en route from Durban to Plettenberg Bay. We chose a budget room with a window (no view) for R590 and were pleasantly surprised at how compact but nice our room was. It had everything that we needed (except a baby cot- we had to request a duvet instead and 2-yr old son slept on the padded floor). Clean as a pin, bathroom very nice, bed comfortable, tea, coffee and biscuits delicious.

We didn't sleep very well because our son woke up every hour (not used to sleeping on the floor I guess). East London was also the most boring city of our trip, and the beach was a no-go area (rocky and stormy).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family