“average hotel”

Garden Court East London
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in East London
Reviewed January 27, 2013

okay hotel for just a stopover, nothing really special here. rooms are comfortable and room service is efficient with a halal friendly menu. rather try tsogo suns hemmingways, near the casino, mall, freeway. there very good b&b's in east london.

1  Thank Zane00

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Fine to stay, just don't eat there.
Service is appalling, with staff rather talking to each other than do their job.
Toasted sandwiches ( simple snack) - eventually came out of the kitchen an hour later ( they had 3 tables to serve) was send out with zero filling and un-toasted ( melted butter ).
Porridge was burnt, croissants were re-heated to the extent they were burnt and dried.
Coffee dispenser - after telling them it doesn't work properly they spent 20min looking at it, only to bring over a cappuccino with no milk. They didn't put a notice on the machine to advise guests that it doesn't function, so numerous guests kept trying the machine with the same disappointing result.

Room Tip: Had room 439 great view and balcony.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Garry H
Ian M, General Manager at Garden Court East London, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2013

Dear Gary H

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay.
As per our conversation on Monday morning, please accept my sincere apology and I will be addressing all the points that you raised and assure you that this is not our usual standards.

Thank you for deciding to stay with us and we hope to see you in the near future if I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Warm regards

Ian Mackay
Garden Court East London

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I made a booking in November and faxed a proof of payment as it is their procedure. When I got there in Jan they couldnt find my payment so i paid cash because i was tired and my kids were hungry sitting in the car for an hour. Following day I thought maybe the problem was resolved but to my surprise it was still the same infact it was worse, I decided to stay another day so I ask them to use the payment i made in November so I went out with my kids we came back at night; guess what the person incharge told me that i've been checked out, im not in their system and she cannot help me. I expalined to her that i made a payment but the person incharge could not find it and I had to pay cash also showed her the proof of payment I made in November+the one I made n arrival, she refused to let us in (me and my kids), they were wet hence we were from the beach, she said we must call the bank and find out whether the transaction was reversed cause she cant find it on the system and she cannot let us in we set on the sofas till dawn. The worst part she knocked off without notifying us then, i had to start explaining to the shift manager in charge and he said we can go sleep the issue will be sorted in the morning.In the morning My kids went down for breakfast despite the fact that they told us we havent paid and hence it's inclusive when booking;they were told there is no such booking on the system and they cant have breakfast, i'm talking about 8 and 9 years old they had no clue what those people were on about. Conclusion: Their sevice sucks, stinks, frustrating! What a Horrendendous Experience!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank zimbini M
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Hotel was most unimpressive. Staff unobliging. We requested for pool towels from reception and was told it would be brought to us at the pool. Over an hour later, nothing ever materialised. As for breakfast, the hot chocolate dispenser spat out something that was by no means drinkable. Again, this was brought to one of the staff's attention but no effort was made to rectify. As for the bathrooms, the shower and tub option in one, was highly messy if you choose to have a shower. Thankfully, it was only a stop over for one night........

Room Tip: Request for sea facing room
2  Thank kogsSA
Reviewed January 8, 2013

It would appear that this hotel has no management structure. Attempting to make use of the breakfast buffet, was enough to ensure that we did not attempt to even try the dinner. Having stayed in numerous Southern Sun hotels this has to be the worst when it comes to meals and organisation. We endured endless complaints about the service and food during breakfast that we simply opted to go elsewhere to eat.If you were considering a swim in the pool, this would not be recommended as the water is so murky you cannot even see the bottom of the pool. We even witnessed guests having to come down to the reception area and fetch their own trolleys to gather their luggage. Perhaps under staffed or simply not something they offer - porters.

2  Thank Brendon W
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The breakfast spread is mediocre at best, with poor service and not enough attention to detail. The bathroom is rather disappointing as the duo functionality bath & shower needs to be seriously upgraded, while using the shower the space is so narrow that its so easy to injure oneself. The bed feels likes sleeping in a water bed and should be serously upgraded.The finer details of in-room service is generally poor, with the basic availablity of anemeties not up to standard. Its disappointing for the Tsogo Sun Group Hotel as the standard is rather poor. The pool was green and is so disappointing.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GeetaD_13
Ianmackay1, General Manager at Garden Court East London, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear GeetaD

Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on TripAdvisor and appreciate you bringing to our attention your comments that you experienced during your stay at the Garden Court East London. Please accept my sincere apology and I will be addressing all the points that you raised and assure you that this is not our usual standard.
In response to your point raised, Tsogo Sun has a 5 year refurbishment program where a number of hotels have been done to date, I happy to say we we are in this plan as it stands we will start with a full refurbishment of our bathrooms and hotel rooms in 2nd half of this year 2013. We have also completed the replacement of 130 new air conditioners and new LCD televisions in all our rooms during 2012.

We appreciate you bringing these comments to our attention, as we need to see the service from our guest point of view, as we strive to meet our guest’s expectations.

Thank you for deciding to stay with us and we hope to see you in the near future.

Warm Regards
Ian Mackay

Reviewed January 4, 2013

I reviewed this hotel during May 2009 and had problems mostly with the dinner offering in the restaurant and the poor service. Since 2010 I had to stay many nights at this Hotel because of a work situation. The restaurant offerings have improved a lot since my review in 2009 and the dinner buffet can now be considered as average. The chicken is very nice. Breakfast has also improved but is still average or just below average. I have also seen a huge improvement regarding service levels and I find the staff very attentive and friendly now that they know me. There are however still problems. The sea facing rooms are spacious but the furniture is tired. I have complained several times that the rooms are not properly cleaned. During my recent stay there was a bad smell in the bathroom, the toilet seat was broken and mold was forming in the air vents in the bathroom. Cleanliness should not be an issue. This is just bad management. The Hotel is expensive for what it has to offfer but with continuous government business I do not think they will drop their prices. I have seen some improvements but there is still a lot that management can do to improve and to provide a proper Tsogo Sun experience.

Room Tip: Request a corner room in the newer section!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business