“fun, friendly and fabulous”
Review of 36 on Bonza

36 on Bonza
and 1 more site!
36 on Bonza
Ranked #17 of 143 East London B&B and Inns
New Haven, Connecticut
“fun, friendly and fabulous”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I went to East London to celebrate my friend's birthday last weekend. I stayed at the very stylish 36 on Bonza. The place is modern but not cold, sweet but not frivolous and the staff is super friendly. This is a very welcoming place. They have a beautiful swimming pool (with a fountain) and I took a dip every morning of my stay. The service is great, the people who work there are very helpful. I stayed in room # 8 and I think it's the best room. You have a little balcony with chairs and a little table, a view of the pool area and at night you can see "city" lights in the distance. The room is immaculate and modern and fresh. It has a free standing bath tub, huge shower, and a very nice & small kitchenette space. They also have a fun fish pond in-front of the building. I highly recommend 36 on Bonza if you want a great stay in East London.

Room Tip: Room # 8 is amazing.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

This was a great little guest house to stay in on my recent business trip. It's stylish and refined and the service matches the classy nature of the establishment. There were a couple of small touches that didn't work for me - no dining room for evening meals, no bedside tables in my particular room - but overall I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I'll be back and would recommend it without hesitation.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank veethree
Surrey
Reviewed November 6, 2012

36 on Bonza was a stop off for us on our way down the Wild Coast but what a gem! The rooms are beautifully decorated and come complete with everything you could need. We had an upgraded balcony room which is useful if one of you smokes. The hotel is small, only 10 rooms, and mainly business visitors during the week so it was quiet but friendly when we arrived.
There were two tiny things I mentioned to the staff about our room, tiny little details about lighting (it is very dark in the room with all the lighting on) and the very bright blue socket lights(which we covered with a pillow in the end).

Overall a really great hotel I am very happy to recommend nd room 8 is great!

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2012

A very smart, modern boutique hotel just off the main N2.

We arrived late and they had arranged a take out meal for us to heat in the microwave in our room. We were very pleased as we had had a very long day.

The room was ultra modern, very stylish and very clean. No faults at all. The bar was well stocked in the dining room.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

Altogether a beautiful place to stay in a very convenient spot for travellers.

Room Tip: Just ask for a back room as the front rooms face a busy road.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed April 4, 2012

We stayed here on a three night stop over for the National Swimming Gala in East London with our 10 year old son. East London was relatively new territory for us and there weren't too many reviews available for 36 on Bonza.

Overall, we were very pleased with the standard of accommodation. We had been given the honeymoon suite which was spacious and had enough space for our son's extra bed. The room was well furnished with contemporary furniture, had ample plugs and a good size desk. The beds were extremely comfortable. The room was open plan, with sleeping and desk area flowing into a small kitchen area and bathroom area. The slipper bath in the room looked very stylish - and very honeymoonish. However, the only person who used it was our 10 year old, as we much preferred to use the large and well pressurised shower. The only drawback to the room was the lack of door to the toilet area - we are not a prudish family but sometimes a bit of privacy is required and moreover appreciated by others......

Breakfast was excellent with a lovely range of cold and hot dishes which were freshly prepared for us. There is a Swiss coffee machine which blasts out very strong and apparently great cappucinos. (I'm not a coffee drinker, but my husband is). The breakfast sausages were particularly excellent, as was the choice of breads for toast. Everything from the super healthy to the absolutely not. There was something for everyone.

Kim, the manageress was extremely welcoming, friendly, efficient and flexible. She organised early breakfasts for us as we had to be at the swimming pool by 7.15 am and these were very much appreciated. She waited for us on our late arrival, helped us with our wet swimming laundry, provided us with extra swimming towels and gave us great recommedations for dining. Nothing was too much trouble.

The architecture of the place is interesting - look out for the huge Koi carp which can be viewed through the glass floored landing.......

The only thing to be aware of is that there is not a lift to the upper room, so you will need to carry your cases upstairs. But after all that swim training, what's a little case carrying?!

We were very happy with our choice of 36 on Bonza, and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 17, 2011

Excellent amenities! Comfortable rooms. Staff is friendly and very helpfull.

• Stayed December 2011
East London
Reviewed July 24, 2011

If you are going through East London and you need to jump onto the N2 to connect to your next destination, this is the best street for you to book into. The finishings are really quite exquisite and the bath in the room is not my cup of tea, I do like a door between me and my bathroom.

The manager is extremely friendly and there is constant access to coffee, muffins and fruit in the main lounge are.

Room Tip: I would avoid the twin rooms, and go for the rooms upstairs.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business