“Worse trip ever, don't ever go to this place. Rude!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thornycroft Lodge

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Thornycroft Lodge
Ranked #74 of 138 East London B&B and Inns
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
“Worse trip ever, don't ever go to this place. Rude!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

What a total disgrace for a service in South Africa, as a South African myself, I am totally disgusted at the service received from this place. First they put this amazing false impression online on how great the place is etc, obviously, this would appeal to me and anybody interested in a holiday somewhere. As I'm from Port Elizabeth, I didn't know East London at all at the time of the booking and the lady/owner assured me it was close to town but in fact it is outside East London and have to travel via a dirt road to get there, After taking the route, not to say the damages on my car, I was referred to a room where I was completely shocked with the un-hygienic conditions and the fact that the room had mould everywhere as shown in the pic on the lamps. As I was completely diss-appointed and disturbed by my findings,which lead me to requesting a refund and find suitable accommodation, the man/owner started screaming at me and saying I must take my money and [--] off. Not to even mention the intimidation and the verbal abuse. So basically I did not stay the night and the woman then refused to refund my money as they making a living? Something is seriously wrong here and needs to be fixed. They need to be taken off the Eastern Cape Tourism List and closed down. This is an embarrassment for our country and shocked that they can treat visitors like this and just get away with it.....

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VaughnG68

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Antwerp
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

On our trip through South Africa we stayed at this Lodge. It was so relaxing, we didn't want to leave. Beautiful surroundings, great food, great people, wonderful massages, sauna, jacuzzi.
Highly recommended!
E. De Laet, Belgium

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed at Thornycroft Lodge last week-end and really enjoyed our stay.
We were treated with friendlyness from everyone. The food was excellent, the spa treatments really relaxing. We will definitely go back again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Jhansi, India
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

Please any guest considering Thornycroft as an accommodation option think twice - your personal belongings are not save - and do not expect any help from the owner either, if something gets stolen.He rather prefers to intimidate you with his political connections than trying to assist you with your stolen possesions.The owners are rude,narrow minded,disgusting in their ability to assist guest with their complaints.The facility is outdated,below standard - the swimming pool however is nice.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank a b

Travelers are raving about these East London hotels

East London, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

My stay at ThonyCroft lodge-East London. I was a little dissapointed by how diffrent the place look from the bronchures, It was less than what we expected. The staff were friendly and helpful. I was however shocked to be charged R 200.00 for a pillowcase that my son wrote on, I do expect to pay for my sons mistakes but a set of that kind of pillow cases are ranging between R45.99-R49.55, believe me I checked. so essecially we were charged- X4!!!!. Why??. Anyway I was also bored out of my mind, there is handly anything to do there.

Room Tip: My stay at ThonyCroft lodge-East London. I was a little dissapointed by how diffrent the place look...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2011

This property is located on the outskirts of the city. It does not have a street address - hard to find! Must drive down narrow dirt lanes to get there. Bathrooms were not up to par. So remote, that we were unable to leave to go for dinner. They did have their own restaurant and Bar - just OK. Not convenient.

Ed Blackmore

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ed B
Surrey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

I am in the process of having this establishment's AA accreditation revoked as Elsa is possibly the most revoltingly rude person I have ever in my life had to deal with. I was really looking forward to staying at Thornycroft, however, I unfortunately had to cancel and the treatment I've had since I sent through the cancellation has made me thank heavens that I didn't step foot in the place! Elsa is crass, rude and incredibly obtuse when asked the simplest of questions, namely, for a copy of the cancellation policy. I cancelled over a month in advance of my stay and have been refused a refund. Elsa said that because she had only read the e-mail a month before, I wasn't entitled to a refund, which is non-sensical, not legal and not to mention utter rubbish. No matter how many times I told her to have a look at the time and date stamp of my cancellation (33 days in advance of my booking), she continued to say that I had only cancelled a month before. I find it very difficult to believe that a person who runs a business (albeit, badly) fails to check their e-mails for more than a day. I then asked for a copy of the cancellation policy, a request which was ignored, despite a number of e-mails and a phonecall. 3 days after my cancellation, I was sent a completely blank invoice - in Microsoft Word, an editable programme - which showed a pathetic attempt on Elsa's part to 'prove' a cancellation policy. This had never been sent to me during the course of my booking. Despite numerous e-mails, including a direct instruction to do so from the AA accreditation board, Elsa has continued to refuse to refund me. I am now pursuing my refund via a legal route, something that will prove incredibly costly for Elsa. Very short-sighted of her to risk her accreditation as well, although to be honest, how she ever got it in the first place is way beyond me. I think the AA are wondering that too, given her behaviour. She seems not to be worried about this pending revoked accreditation though, telling me 'that's okay, I don't need it'. I have just tried to settle it one last time in a sensible manner over the phone, but I was rewarded for my efforts by being called 'stupid' for having paid a deposit and then cancelled. Disgusting woman, who I am incredibly happy not to have had the misfortune of actually meeting. Beware of this place, and if you do book, be sure NOT to pay the deposit, given Elsa's apparently learned theory about people who book, then have to cancel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends