“Word of advice”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Osner
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in East London
Reviewed May 2, 2014

A group of four best men and a group 4 bride's maids; we were booked into the Hotel Osner so we can prepare for a friend's wedding. After enjoying the wedding reception at the hotel's conference room we came back to realise that some of our belongings were missing.

From both rooms; bags were searched and valuable items (laptop, digital camera, hard drive, 3*men's colognes, DJ CD bag, cellphone, R700 cash, ladies' jacket and a pair of sneakers) were taken. We should have read the hotel's policy regarding safekeeping of valuable items.

It would seem that this happens often with group bookings as management would like us to believe that we might have stole from each other. More so disappointing is that on the night, hotel management could not print us the door's activity log nor show us the camera footage. Since we left the establishment we have had no further communication from them.

So, word of advice to hotel osner management; the least you can do is to investigate this and other similar incidents. Does it not seem strange to you that the two rooms with group bookings were entered into with no signs of forced entry? Does is not seem strange that this happens often that groups "often steal from each other". Until you have taken action against it will happen again.

Word of advice to travelers especially family or group bookings - leave your belongings at home or in the car - it is safer; or better yet book somewhere else!

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
7  Thank Spikiri

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stayed here 1 night by chance.Surprised by all the poor reviews as we found it to be a reasonable tourist class hotel oright on the fron with views over Indian Ocean.Dinner was buffet style with lots of choice and was quite good of its type except desserts which were poor.In the morning we woke to a fabulous sunrise.One word of warning for tourists is that parts of East London,and the Eastern Cape in particular,are increasingly crime-ridden and care needs to be taken.

Room Tip: Sea view was fabulous in the morning
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank recordable
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I was very dissapointed by the hotel and the hotel staff.
First of all they were very rude demanding me to pay for the room even when I told them I had already paid for it through an internet site. They woke me up during the night and told me that I had to come down and pay or leave. Nice way to treat a customer.
Another surprise was that the hotel advertised they offer internet. As a matter of fact I chose this hotel for that reason. It turned out that they don't offer internet, but there is an 'Always On' hotspot, which is available all accross South Africa, and they charge 20 US dollars a day to use a limited-transfer-slow-connection.
Last but not least, there are no plugs in the room to charge your devices, not even inside the bathroom.
I would definitely not go there again and not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2013

After reading some of these reviews I was expecting areal hostile hovel of a place. I was booked into the Osner by my client, so the choice was made for me. After reading the reviews I seriously considered booking alternative accommodation. Huge was my surprise when I arrived late on Sunday night. I Thought the place must have had a total revamp! True, nobody falls over their feet to help with luggage and the staf behind the counter do not brim with radiant smiles. As an afterthought I was offered a porter while I struggled past the book in counter with three heavy bags, which I declined as I realised I will be at my room before the porter arrives.

However, the place was clean and modern and the breakfast and dinner buffets in the restaurant had something for everyone, fresh tasty and well served.

Most ( I think all ?)rooms face the ocean and my room on the second floor had a filly opening slide window which I enjoyed.

The rooms are spacious and the beds comfortable. The bedding is white and crisp and clean.
No fridge in the room but kettel , cups and saucers and tea coffee is available. A Spar Supermarket is just around the corener as well as the Virgin Active Gym and the very classy Grazia restaurant is less than 5 minutes walk down the road.

The rooms are not brand new and modern but the TV works and a limited choice of channels are available. Always-On Internet is available but a little expensive in my opinion , it would be better to buy a local mobile simcard with a data package and use a mobile provider. Cell phone reception in this area is good.

The residential neighbourhood behind the Osner does not have a good reputation and I was cautioned not to walk on the beach after dark. I saw several vagrants and around the bottom of Oxford street about 2 km from the Osner , found several squatter shacks built next to the fence of the harbour where vagrants would be staying. El is an area with economic challenges so do take care.

The area around the hotel is sadly quite littered. Rate at the time I stayed was R580 singel and R330 pp sharing. The location is great , it is certainly not luxury accomodation , but it was clean and comfortabel and the food was great.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Staying at the Osner Hotel with the Western Province Trialthon team, was certainly one of the worst hotel stays I have ever experienced. This hotel should in fact be demolished, along with the staff. It is dirty, the windows in the bedrooms have not seen cleaned in decades, along with the carpets, and bathrooms. The bedside lamps could be considered antiques at best, they were so old and dated. No rooms have hairdryers, and I tried repeatedly to get the use of one of the TWO hairdryers they have for the entire hotel, unsuccessfully of course. Then I requested fresh towels to be replaced in our room as my husband needed to shower after his event, only to be told that clean towels would be ready after 2pm. That indicates that they only have ONE set of towels per room. As for the reception staff, never have I had to deal with a more incompetent bunch of individuals, who had such lack of respect, as well as common decency it was astonishing. I was addressed on a few occasions as " Sissie", and told that I should phone house keeping, it was not their job. Checking out of the hotel was the best part of the entire experience, as it meant we were leaving and NEVER have to set foot back into that establishment that really is shameful in terms of what it offers.

Room Tip: There are NO good rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2013

When I booked for ironman 70.3 weekend we were told all the kat leisure hotels were full except for the express apartments. When we got there these apartments were horrible. When we went to the expo we asked the Osner if they happened to have any space available, which they did. Being apart of the same group they also managed to transfer our account, so we didn't lose money. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The breakfast and food at the pasta party was divine. The rooms were clean and spacious. The bathrooms were a bit dated, and the rooms got really hot during the day (aircon didn't work very well) But all in all it was great value for money. Other hotels on the beachfront for same price are much worse.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2013

I’m giving Osner Hotel 4/5 because of the convenient location for Ironman70.3 This weekend is notorious for how busy and overbooked the hotels are. The official Ironman expo is in the Osner Hotel. The hotel sits across from the lawn where you collect and drop your bike if you had make use of The Bike Migration bicycle transport company – again very convenient. The hotel rooms are very spacious with a sitting room, which offers enough room for bikes and all the rest of your gear. All the rooms have a sea view with lovely windows which allow you to see the ocean even when lying down on the bed. Do not expect anything fancy, as the hotel rooms are older, but clean, comfortably and very spacious. The food that the hotel offer is great, with the official pasta party the night before the race held there. I recommend staying at the Osner for Ironman70.3.

Room Tip: You might want to ask for a room with aircon, as it can get very hot and humid in the summer months.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends