“Cannot content my deception” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite

Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Braamfontein
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Cannot content my deception”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

I stayed one month at the hotel and my first impression was 'okay'. The entrance was not impressive/fancy compared to the other protea hotel my friends were located at. The rooms were large with with an office table, a kitchen 'bar' and a separate bedroom. However, they looked like they have aged and have not been subject to a renovation for a long time. The carpet itself could tell. I was deceived by the very small bathtub and the old shower where the water would hardly come out. I had to make a complaint to get it replaced but it was not better.

I thought the Iron room next to my room was fantastic! when I went there, I couldn't find any iron and called the reception. They just told me that an iron is only available on 2 floors out of the 20+ floors. What is the use of having an iron room on each floor? I don't think this would cost much to the hotel to get one on each floor like it was supposed to be anyway.

I tried to give the hotel a chance but they kept disappointing me with the serious face on each staff's face when 'welcoming' you for breakfast. Another day I had my breakfast packed and surprise, they gave me expired (1 week exceeded) yoghurt! Okay this could be a mistake but they served me expired yoghurt for 2 consecutive days..They also missed my breakfast pack several times though I made my request only a day before. You don't just write my order on a piece of paper and get it misplaced, I couldn't even see a proper file for taking orders.

The big lady (bossy type) at the reception was rude and was asking irrelevant stuff when I was already being assisted by another receptionist. Fortunately a handful staffs were nice and welcoming. One night (around 9h30), 2 hotel male staffs knocked at my room though I had the 'Do not disturb' sign on the knob. When I asked what the matter was, they just told me if everything was okay. You don't knock at a door at 9h30 p.m to ask a guest if he/she's okay, especially if the guest didn't wish to get disturbed. I thought it was fishy and called at the reception to know if this was a normal procedure. Without any apology, I was told that their system showed that I should have already checked out and they noted activity in my room. (I was not leaving until 3 more weeks).

The last most dramatic inconvenience encountered was when I was returning back to my room after a day at work. I noticed that my door was slightly open, probably by the maid who didn't close my door properly. My room is just at a point of entrance where everybody must pass by to get to their rooms and anyone could have get inside. When I placed my complaint, they didn't apologise and asked if I was sure that I wasn't the one forgetting to close the door. Which was not the case as I left a whole day and the room was already done when I came back.

I was reluctant in making this review as I always think that there is no perfect place. But for a re-known hotel like Protea, I was really disappointed and they have exceeded the number of chances I gave them to catch up. I wouldn't mind coming back if they make an effort for all the inconveniences I had to encounter, but this will not happen in the near future.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Ddebbie P, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Dear Tysta. Thank you for your Review, although it certainly was not a Review we are proud of. Many of the unacceptable issues which you mentioned are certainly not what we should be offering in a 4 Star property. There is really no excuse for expired yoghurt (on more than one occasion), and for rude staff. It is also not our standrad to leave a GUESTS door open after cleaning the room. It is obvious that your stay with us was unpleasant and that so many things happened which were unexpected. We have conducted a full investigation which has resulted in having to address lack of controls and managment in certain areas of our hotel. We understand that apologies after the event do little to build your trust of our property, but sincerely hope you will allow us to offer you a complimentary nights stay in the hopes of reversing the sad memory you have of our hotel. Regards Debbie Prinsloo - Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Korean first
Port Louis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

I stayed in protea all suite for three weeks. A nice location and in a safe area. All the room are all suit.. Nice view of Jobrg from our room. Breakfast is excellent with a wide variety to suit the need of each visitor.roof top lounge bar and swimming pool. Free shuttle service in the evening to sandton and Mandela square. The staff are very friendly. Visitors from all around the world staying there. All the major attracting within reach within a reasonable time through coach.. The drivers are very helpful and friendly.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear Pravin22. Many thanks for your Review and your positive comments. We will certainly pass them onto the staff who were responsible for making your stay with us a pleasant one. Always good to hear that visitors did a lot of sightseeing and made use of our services in that regard. We do hope you will return to our hotel sometime in the future. Regards Debbie Prinsloo - Marketing Manager
Durban, Kwazulu-natal, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

Second time I stayed at the hotel. Nicely located and service is efficient and staff friendly. Rooms were clean spacious and had a gym on the top floor with a good view of johannesburg city. Enjoyed my stay there both times

• Stayed November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ddebbie P, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite, responded to this review, November 24, 2013
Dear DhirajR. SO good to see you back in the hotel. Thank you for your comments. We are pleased to see that our standards are being maintained and that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Hope to see you AGAIN in the future. Best Regards - Debbie Prinsloo - Marketing Manager
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Rooms were a nice size, clean, and comfortable enough for the price. The location is convenient to the University of Witwatersrand, and the hotel provided free transport there and back when my meeting got out after dark. The restaurant was very good and the service better than average.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Ddebbie P, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Many thanks for your encouraging comments. The complimentary transport was introduced due to the many visitors which we receive from the University of Waitwatersrand. Your appreciation thereof makes our decision to offer the complimentary transport the correct one.
We hope to see you back in our hotel in the future and you will notice a positive change has been made to the front entrance of the hotel.
Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

The Protea Parktonian All Suite were wonderful for our group of 50 guests who stayed over a four day period. We enjoyed the view from the top of the world, rooms were decent. Food was a bit over priced. Good shuttle service and convenient to get to the Gautrain.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Windhoek, Namibia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

Protea Hotel All Suite is the best hotel in Johannesburg. I really love the hotel, especially that they play music everywhere, classic music e.g in the elevator, toilet etc. The hotel has a very good big space. The service was the best part too, they just know how to take care of their people and everybody is friendly. Everything was excellent in this hotel and my dream is to have my honeymoon there oneday. I am really in love with the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side are the best option. You get the view the street how busy it is in the mornin...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Durban
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed just one night at the Parktonian as we were in the city only for the weekend to see "Starlight Express" at the Joburg Theatre just up the road.
The Protea Hotel group have done a wonderful job of restoring the interior. Check-in was swift and efficient, and the staff were friendly. In the elevator up to the 23rd floor, I warned my companion not the expect the same elegance in the room, which I was expecting to be drab and dated.
We were both pleasantly surprised. The room was evidently recently re-decorated, and the striking artwork in the lounge was a vivid representation of the Nelson Mandela bridge. The bedroom and bathroom were tasteful and inviting. The view from the balcony was not what I had requested in my booking. I'd asked for a CBD view, and our suite had a Braamfontein view. Ah well, I thought. Perhaps they thought I meant the Braamfontein CBD and consoled myself with the view of my alma mater Wits University up the road.
The staff were efficient at getting local taxis for us, and the late-night club sandwich from Room Service was well-presented and tasty. I guess it's impossible to keep hot beverages hot during a Joburg winter.
There were, however, two unfortunate glitches that point fingers at the service.
Soon after we arrived, I used the in-room facilities to make tea and coffee and used almost all of the single-serving creamer packages provided. When we left the hotel to go and book tickets for the show, I asked a cleaning lady in an adjacent room if she had any more little packaged milks so we could have coffee in the morning. She promised to bring some up and leave them in the room.
By the time we returned from the show, the milks had still not arrived, though, so I thought we'd order continental breakfasts from room service which would provide coffee and function as an alarm since our phone was out of order. I filled in the order and hung it on the door handle. Even though Room Service brought a late-night snack, and a Sunday newspaper was pushed under the door, the breakfast order was not collected by 3 a.m. as promised. In fact, it was still hanging on the door in the morning, and we had to order our morning coffee (which arrived late and cold) by calling Room Service.
My second gripe is that when checking out, we were told that there was still R20 on the account for the razor and toothpaste I'd obtained from reception. I had in fact paid cash for these items. As we were late for the bus, we didn't argue but offered a R100 note, but then they could only find R60 change, so we ended up paying a total of R60 for these items. My last words to the receptionist were that this was the most expensive tube of toothpaste I had ever bought. She said "I'm so sorry about that" but it didn't exactly console me.
Nonetheless, I'd stay at the Parktonian again in a flash. It's a civilized haven in a very convenient location to all the craziness that Babylon Joburg has to offer.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank charlesk199
Ddebbie P, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Your comments are well received and we thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.
The in-room facilities regarding tea/coffee supplies and the breakfast card not being collected have both been address with the necessary Supervisor and Managers.
The hotel is constantly being upgraded and on you next visit you will see a change has been made to the front of the hotel. We look forwarad to seeing you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Braamfontein
The Bannister Hotel
City Lodge Hotel Newtown
City Lodge Hotel Newtown
#34 of 70 in Johannesburg
Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Balalaika Sandton

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite? Share your experiences!