I stayed one month at the hotel and my first impression was 'okay'. The entrance was not impressive/fancy compared to the other protea hotel my friends were located at. The rooms were large with with an office table, a kitchen 'bar' and a separate bedroom. However, they looked like they have aged and have not been subject to a renovation for a long time. The carpet itself could tell. I was deceived by the very small bathtub and the old shower where the water would hardly come out. I had to make a complaint to get it replaced but it was not better.
I thought the Iron room next to my room was fantastic! when I went there, I couldn't find any iron and called the reception. They just told me that an iron is only available on 2 floors out of the 20+ floors. What is the use of having an iron room on each floor? I don't think this would cost much to the hotel to get one on each floor like it was supposed to be anyway.
I tried to give the hotel a chance but they kept disappointing me with the serious face on each staff's face when 'welcoming' you for breakfast. Another day I had my breakfast packed and surprise, they gave me expired (1 week exceeded) yoghurt! Okay this could be a mistake but they served me expired yoghurt for 2 consecutive days..They also missed my breakfast pack several times though I made my request only a day before. You don't just write my order on a piece of paper and get it misplaced, I couldn't even see a proper file for taking orders.
The big lady (bossy type) at the reception was rude and was asking irrelevant stuff when I was already being assisted by another receptionist. Fortunately a handful staffs were nice and welcoming. One night (around 9h30), 2 hotel male staffs knocked at my room though I had the 'Do not disturb' sign on the knob. When I asked what the matter was, they just told me if everything was okay. You don't knock at a door at 9h30 p.m to ask a guest if he/she's okay, especially if the guest didn't wish to get disturbed. I thought it was fishy and called at the reception to know if this was a normal procedure. Without any apology, I was told that their system showed that I should have already checked out and they noted activity in my room. (I was not leaving until 3 more weeks).
The last most dramatic inconvenience encountered was when I was returning back to my room after a day at work. I noticed that my door was slightly open, probably by the maid who didn't close my door properly. My room is just at a point of entrance where everybody must pass by to get to their rooms and anyone could have get inside. When I placed my complaint, they didn't apologise and asked if I was sure that I wasn't the one forgetting to close the door. Which was not the case as I left a whole day and the room was already done when I came back.
I was reluctant in making this review as I always think that there is no perfect place. But for a re-known hotel like Protea, I was really disappointed and they have exceeded the number of chances I gave them to catch up. I wouldn't mind coming back if they make an effort for all the inconveniences I had to encounter, but this will not happen in the near future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All Suites - The "Suite" Life. The Protea Hotel Parktonian offers service levels and friendliness which will make your stay a unique experience, whether you are staying for leisure, business or hosting a conference. The hotel has 300 suites allowing for a true "Jozi" experience. All suites are one bedroomed units with a separate lounge, bathroom, work desk, leather chair and service area which includes a granite counter, mini-bar fridge and tea/coffee making facilities. Personal safe. Individual heating/cooling on the rooms. 3 meals per day are served in the Orchards Restaurant. 24 hour room service. Our outside pool and Skybar is on the 24th floor offering amazing 360 degree views of Johannesburg and the surrounding area.The hotel offers easy access to the N1 freeway and a host of activities nearby from theatres, sports stadia and universities. Close to the historical Constitutional Court. Free shuttle bus in the evenings (Mon - Fri) to entertainment areas close by. Free morning/afternoon shuttle to office within a 10kms radius. Free shuttle bus by arrangement from/to Gautrain Park Station. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Marriott and Agoda so you can book your Protea Hotel by Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Parktonian Hotel
- Protea Hotel Braamfontein
- Protea Hotel By Marriott Johannesburg Parktonian All-Suite Braamfontein, Greater Johannesburg