Caduceus Cellars
Ranked #6 of 39 things to do in Jerome
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I want to start off by saying my husband is an avid Maynard fan, I listen to whatever my husband puts on his ipod. I planned a trip to Jerome for my husband's 30th birthday. We were there 3/28 through 4/2.

After we checked into our hotel (Connor Hotel, see review) which is right next door to Caduceus Cellars we stopped into Caduceus to check it out. At the time of our visit there were two flights available to taste, the Caduceus cellars flight ($14.00) and the Merkin Vineyards flight ($8.75) both had four wines. The menu says that they were 1 oz pours and I have read other reviews saying they skimped on the pours but my husband and I shared both flights so I think it was alittle greater than 1oz. The bar was full when we arrived so we stood at one of the islands in the middle. The young lady who poured for us was Abby and she seemed very knowledgeable about the wines. She provided us a brief description of the wines and returned to the bar. This was the first time I had a wine tasting in this format and I have read others not appreciating this but we didn't mind it because we were able to taste at our own pace and talk about the wine without having someone in our face the entire time. Each of the islands is used to store the win as well and you will find that there are additional wines in the islands not on the menu but if they are pouring them then they are available for tasting, I believe we tried 4 additional wines. We bought the Chupacabra Blanca that evening to take back to our room.

Throughout the week we would stop back in for a glass here and there. We also interacted with Brian (tasting room manager), Tony, and Danielle and they were all very friendly, willing to answer any questions and knowledgeable about the wines.

On Tuesday 4/1 we went in to have coffee as they open early and serve a few espresso beverages and breakfast sandwiches. We had the caramel latte and shared the black forest ham on a croissant sandwich. We also tried the biscotti and the sugar cookie. Everything was great.

I will say we did not go in here and try to gush to the staff about Maynard or any of the music but here and there it did come up in conversation.

Also, there was DJ Friday night which was fun and a photo booth all week which we took advantage of multiple times.

I have read a few reviewed previously where folks took away stars because they didn't like the wines which personally I feel is unfair because with win everyone has a different taste and to me everything else we experienced made up for the fact that the wines weren't necessarily my favorite but I will say I like more of a reisling and there aren't many of those in Arizona and the ones I did taste were more dry. Caduceus does have a white that leans more to the sweet side called the Diddler which I did enjoy. My husband is a cab sauv fan and he did enjoy quite a few of the reds, the Kitsuane, the Marzo, and the Oneste.

1  Thank Crystal S

Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

My husband is a big TOOL/Puscifer/APC fan so we've always planned to visit Maynard's winery if we got to AZ. We drove up with his grandparents, and we all had a great time. The wines are all blends which we knew going in, but weren't sure at the moment which flight to do. We all ended up doing the Merkin one and they were all four interesting in their own way. The staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. It's a small place with only a couple areas for seating, which was occupied by someone's children when we were there (only weird thing), so we drank at the bar which was just fine. I bet we would have stayed a little longer if we had sat though. Was a neat place, would recommend! We bought a few bottles for the novelty, they were a little on the expensive side but would have regretted not getting any to take home. There is also a nice little gift section if you want something more permanent as a souvenir than the wine itself.

Reviewed March 27, 2014

The winery was pretty cool. Decorated with wood finishes, with a long bar for the servers, tall tables for customers and a couple of bars in the middle for tastings, the place has a clean and modern design. You can visit it to enjoy one of their wine tasting menus, savor a glass of your favorite Caduceus wine or get a souvenir glass, a t-shirt or a hat from their gift shop.

I have a whole review about this cool place in my blog:

Reviewed February 27, 2014

Came into town at 10AM after driving two-lane road with straight-drop cliffs into the valleys below. Jerome is a pleasant mining town built on the steeps slopes of the Verde Valley. First place I happened to come across was the Caduceus Cellars, offering tastings from several vineyards.

Wine tasting? At 10AM? Why not! Medium sized location, rustic interior, plenty of wine on display. Light on souvenirs and a great espresso machine. Our hostess was Abby. To start off, she is a knockout. What makes her even more attractive is she knows her wine. Really well. It was a genuine pleasure to talk wine with her, and when she learned I was in the service industry, she made sure to pour a couple of additional high-end wines to crown the tastings. My favorite - the Anubis, recently received in our area in Atlanta. Delicious.

The other enjoyable part of the visit was watching the look of lust on Abby's face as I described the cuisine at my place of employment. Hopefully I can return the favor of service should she have an opportunity to travel to Atlanta.

1  Thank Phffbbt
Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Just returned from Mendoza, Argentina (they do set the bar quite high) all in all I do concur with the TA reviews.

The location (old mining town) what a setting!! Romantic, surely to take you back in time & slow one down. Relaxing is not a bad thing, too bad it's a rarity for most of us in this country. We tend to feel if we don't run our lives at mock speed we are missing something. Hardly!
Jerome is the perfect place to reflect, breath & ENJOY good wine!

The place is truly well done! Nicely setup (warm and inviting) and the staff was truly friendly and accommodating.

Enjoy!!!