“Still my choice for the North Rim”
Review of Kaibab Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jacob Lake
Kaibab Lodge
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Still my choice for the North Rim”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

First off let me say this is my second review of the Kaibab Lodge the first being 2 years ago. And I still give them a good review but let me explain my reasons to you if you are considering a stay at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon...We have only stayed in the East view units<4 units per building> and in the newest cabins on the property,with our current preference the newer cabins. These have 2 Queen beds a large bathroom with really hot showers<great when the weather is real cold after a day of hiking> and a small room in front with a couch, chair microwave and frig. There is a large deck on the front of the cabin with several chairs and the view of the aspen trees and the meadow is just plain relaxing. We sit there in the morning and have our coffee and at nite with a beer. Doesnt get any better than that. The room on our arrival this year was very clean..there were 2 times during our 9 day stay<yes we stayed 9 days with them>that the cleaning person was running late with their rounds and we just had them leave clean towels. The mattress on one of the beds was very worn out so we just slept in the other bed. And yes the blankets and quilts on the beds were old and could use a new set real soon. The staff this stay was above excellent. The park was closed for the shutdown during the initial part of our stay and everyone was giving maps and tips on where to hike in the Kaibab Nat'l Forest. Never interacted with a better group of employees and Ellen the owner is really a gem. We ate 3 times at the lodge and each time had excellent service food was good and the wait time was nill. If you are worried about internet then go across the road to the North Rim Country store it is much quicker reception there than at the lodge.
Okay granted some of the cabins look real old and very worn but we have never stayed in one of them and honestly I would not. We stay here for the location Jacob's Lake is too far to drive in every morning and back out every day post hiking and the Rim Lodge is just too noisy and crowded for us. We find the serenity of Kaibab Lodge to be just perfect for us. We have stayed here a total of 9 different times and honestly we will always chose it for our little home at the North Rim hey we even take Halloween lights and light our deck the past several years and the staff and management get a huge kick out of this. Once again I can only attest to our experience here but I just dont have any complaint

Room Tip: Like I said in my review we have always stayed in either Eastview or the newer cabins I believe they...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank wildflower514

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
St. Paul
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We arrived in early afternoon and had lunch, which was fine, and the wait person was very pleasant. When we checked in later in the day we were dismayed by the room. Yes, primitive, but does that mean it needs to be ugly? The furnishings looked like early Goodwill, there is no shelf in the bathroom (what effort would that take?), a hole in the wall in the bathroom, and an apparent deliberate attempt to have no ambience or coziness. Buy a shed and fix it up by decorating a bit, adding a shelf or two or a picture - it's not that hard! The only good thing - the heat worked.

We went to dinner at 7:00 and were told it would be a 30 minute wait. It ended up being 75 minutes with no apology or explanation. There were several dozen others waiting in the bar area with us, and when we were seated there were fewer than a dozen with most of the tables empty. Either the others left (where in the heck could they go except the gas station across the road?) or we were missed in the queue, although we checked back twice after an hour. The woman running the list and seating was anything but friendly and didn't even acknowlege our wait time. We were too angry to order entrees, so just had salads and left to go back to our dingy little room.

This place would not be in business if there were any choices available, and they seem not to care. The North Rim is fabulous, OTOH. Next time we'll go early enough to stay at the Lodge there and drive by Kaibob "Lodge" as fast as we can.

Room Tip: There are cabins closer to the front nearer the restaurant/gift shop that may be decent, but I can...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SuperSnorkeler

Travelers are raving about these Jacob Lake hotels

Culvertown, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Went with our family, four adults and three children for the Grand Canyon experience. The lodge is conveniently located just outside the north rim. The staff was nice, and the location is good. That is where the compliments end. After hiking along the rim, we went back to the lodge for dinner. We were seated but then received no service for 2 hours. Unfortunately, the convenient store across the road was closed and there are no other places to eat within a 30 mile radius since the state park is closed due to the government shut down. At one point, had to go back to the cabin and get water bottles so that the kids would have something to drink. They have board games at the lodge, our ONLY saving grace with a 7 year old. On multiple times we asked for service and were told at one point that they didn't even know if we would be able to eat there since the cooks were backed up. We did get food 2.5 hours after we sat down. Dinner was not comped....at all. Just to add to the experience, when we left in the morning, our food bag that we had taken into the lodge that night had been eaten on by a mouse.

Room Tip: Jacob Lake is up the road. We did not stay there but they had a lodge with easily accessible food. W...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
seattle
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed in one of the more rustic cabins and had a pleasant stay there for one night.
The only bad experience was the evening meal. The wait time was longer than told, the
special was still on the board even though they had sold out, and the baked potato my friend
ordered was given to guests who had come in after us. His bbq ribs meal looked good, but I made the mistake of ordering the turkey dinner. The breast of turkey was about the size of
two chicken mc nuggets, and the mashed potatoes was one large ice cream scoop-- not the
hearty meal that I was hoping for. Maybe the primavera would have been a better choice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Everything except proximity to the north rim was a disappointment. Upon arrival we were given keys to an occupied room. Our real room was dirty and full of cobwebs. Very shabby. Uncomfortable bed. Food and service very disappointing. We waited more than half an hour for breakfast on one slow morning. We weren't expecting luxury, but this was not rustic; it was simply awful.

Room Tip: Don't book one of the older cabins. The unrenovated cabins are dirty and in poor shape.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Considering (if you don't own an RV and aren't roughing it in a tent) that you can stay at Jacob Lake Lodge 40 miles from the North Rim, Kaibab Lodge 13 miles, or at the Grand Canyon Lodge at the rim itself, you don't have a lot of options. We took a chance not booking a room in advance for our Canyon adventure, figuring after Labor Day we'd be fine. I had no idea the options were so slim (and expensive!). Luckily, the room we were assigned was like a mini-apartment, one of 4 units in a separate, larger lodge. I agree with other reviewers the other units didn't appeal as much. While it was just one room, it was large, with 2 double beds and a large, round table. We had a lovely balcony overlooking the meadows. The shower stall is small, but as you're not confined by a shower door, just the curtain, it's ok. The free amenities were clearly the ones used by the guests before so we used our own shampoo/conditioner; minor detail but my husband thought it was a big deal; at least soap and towels were fresh.

The place is family owned, and clearly has business. I felt lucky to get a room. The location is idyllic. The area before the canyon is nothing but meadows full of grazing deer, some American bison and towering pines; stunning! Restaurant was good. Read separate review.

At 10:30 p.m. the smoke alarm started to beep loudly, indicating low battery; undoubtedly the other guests must have thought we were smoking or burning something. As they had told us front desk closes at 10, I was worried we'd find no one to help us and we'd have to sleep in the car. We got out of bed, dressed, and husband and I drove to restaurant/check in building. Two workers happened to be leaving and locking up. I explained and one said he'd send maintenance (clearly everyone who works there lives there--nowhere to go!) Maintenance came as we drove back, he took the alarm out. I didn't care, so long as we could sleep. This incident was probably the sourest of our stay. What would have happened if no one had been at the front desk? All in all, we felt we paid too much for what we got.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in one of the 4-unit buildings; it may be more pricey, but those are the nicer ones.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Surprise, Arizona
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My Husband and I were going to drive out to Point Sublime and needed a place to just "lay our heads" for the night. We checked into cabin #19. The room was very small, but that was ok. The bathroom floor sank when you stepped near the shower and toilet, which tells me that the floor is rotting. The bed was as hard as concrete, and it was impossible to get comfortable on it. I even contemplated sleeping in the truck it was so bad. The restaurant had ok food, but the prices are too high for what you get. Also, they state that they have Wi-Fi in the main lodge, but I could never get hooked up to it and the guy who worked at the bar said that everyone has a problem with it. He said that the Wi-Fi at the gas station across the road was much better. So, in the middle of the night we drove over and sure enough we were able to hook up to theirs. I do not recommend this place, not even for a few hours of rest.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Bright Angel Lodge
Bright Angel Lodge
#1 of 1 in Grand Canyon National Park
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,435 reviews

Been to Kaibab Lodge? Share your experiences!