“One Time is Enough”
Review of Jacob Lake Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jacob Lake
Jacob Lake Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Jacob Lake B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 5, 2008

We just returned from a week at the Grand Canyon. Jacob's Lake was our first hotel. The area was pleasant and we were grateful to get any room during the Memorial Day Weekend.

The young staff at the lodging restaurant was pleasant, polite, but inexperienced. We didn't have a meal there that wasn't cold from having sat in the kitchen too long after it was ready.

Our cabin was dismal. I don't mind rustic; but this was clearly outdated and dirty. No comfortable chair to sit in; poor lighting, tiny bathroom. When asked to have our room vacuumed and our bathroom cleaned, we were told that "guests do that themselves". ??? It served a purpose but we would not return.

Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank MikeAl
Write a ReviewReviews (1,901)

Reviewed June 3, 2008

I had read other reviews of Jacob Lake Inn, so I wasn't expecting a beautiful room, but I also wasn't going to visit the Grand Canyon's North Rim for a hotel room. My problem with Jacob Lake Inn is that it is run by teenagers who have no experience with customer service or food service. I found dining at the counter awkward at best. The poor little kids working there are oblivious to the customers. I felt sorry for the kids because their work seemed so foreign to them. I never saw a mature adult in the dining areas. I had better luck in the actual dining room, but that's because they have one guy who knows what he's doing. But even in the dining room, when we went in for dinner, most of the empty tables hadn't been cleared yet. It was very unprofessional. They needed a mature adult to manage the dining experience. The food itself was fine.

I hated eating there, but you are trapped since there's not much else around. I think the Rich family who owns this property just finds some cheap help to over work. I noted that the kids who were working in the morning when I got my coffee were still there that night when I was paying for dinner. Long days for those poor kids. One girl even asked me to tell the owner that they work too long. I would NEVER return to this place.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jonimom
Reviewed June 3, 2008

Cozy hotel, nice little restaurant, great cookies, nice gift shop, great folks at the service station. Stayed there 1 night, had a nice dinner, kids loved the 1/2 bbq chicken, the house special was very good and homemade apple pie a la mode topped it off. Bought sweatshirts at the gift shop- great quality, heavy and warm. Of course we had to get cookies for the road- the kids lit up when they saw the cloud cookies, we also got lemon sugar, chocolate chip, and oatmeal raisin. We had to use the service station on the way out of the Grand Canyon due to 2 flat tires. They were very friendly and helpful. Everything is close together and convenient. Would stay there again.

Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed June 3, 2008

My husband and I stayed in the two story motel versus the cabins and I found it to be clean and very comfortable. We had a balcony that overlooked the parking lot, but the other side overlooked the forest. I would recommend asking for the forest side.
We had dinner and breakfast in the Inn's restaurant and both were excellent. The hotel also has wireless internet, which is very helpful because we had no cell phone service.

I would recommend Jacob Lake Inn for any one that is going to the North Rim. It is only about 30-45 minutes from the park and the drive is spectacular.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rangerNashville
Reviewed June 3, 2008

Our visit to Jacob Lake Inn was not very pleasant. It was snowing and our cabin had No Heat.

The issue was not resolved until the next evening. Only the Manager could issue a refund. Only the Manager could issue another room-at the same price-by the time the Manager showed up all rooms were gone.
We were given a space heater and with no plugs in the room it was over the sink- a hazard.
I was disappointed in this visit.

The Manager did give us a refund for the first night, but that was after many problems with "the Help"

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank meken5
Reviewed June 2, 2008

Since there's no much choice around the North Rim of the Grand Canyon (actually, this hotel is the only thing in Jacob Lake!), I just close my eyes and made the reservations.
The first room that we got assigned to had no electricity. We were promptly moved to another room, so no biggie. Rooms are very nice and comfy, they are large as well.
I was hoping to enjoy the food that many reviewers have raved about. We ate at their restaurant 3 times. Overall, food is great and service is extremely slow (I guess that since they are the only thing in town, they don't care that much if you are up standing for a table even when there are 4 out of 12 tables open). Also the last time we ate there it took forever... our poor server was obviously overworked and when she went to get our food the children of the hotel owner had taken 2 of our burguers! (and she didn't say a word to them!!). Didn't bother to talk to the owner... what can you say to somebody that lets personal issues get into the business?
Concluding, it's was obvious that this palce could be better managed. The stay was great, the Canyon was awesome, the food pretty good, but be aware... you will have to wait!!!

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank MaggieAlabama
Reviewed May 31, 2008

The staff was very friendly and efficient for check-in. Service for breakfast was slow--they appeared to be understaffed--but the food was excellent. Cabin/rooms were as advertised, exactly what we wanted.

I got information by phone, including an offer of an AARP discount. Booking online didn't go quite as well. There was no place to request the AARP discount, and my credit card was charged for the entire stay instead of just the first night. They did credit me for the discount when I checked in, and it had posted to my credit card by the time I got home. (No waiting for "two or three billing cycles").

Overall, the stay was very enjoyable. Loved watching the snow come down during dinner. Especially since I wasn't driving in it.

• Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Jacob Lake Inn? Share your experiences!