“Oasis Near Grand Canyon North Rim”
Review of Jacob Lake Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jacob Lake
Jacob Lake Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Jacob Lake B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 3, 2012

We chose Jacob Lake Inn because it is about as close as one can get to the North Rim without being in the park. We stayed the night before entering into the park in order to have a very short, quick drive the next day.

We really enjoyed this little stop. I read a lot of reviews on Jacob Lake Inn and they varied widely. We were on a budget and took one of the least expensive rooms. It was clean, rustic, very cute. The only drawback was the sink, which was located in the main room(not in the bathroom). It had two spigots/two faucet handles. That made it difficult to get the proper water temperature. But, we managed.

The grounds were very nice with lots of trees and a little gazebo near a water feature that attracted many beautiful birds. We had happy hour and breakfast in the gazebo and enjoyed the birds immensely.

Dinner in the restaurant was surprisingly very good. Staff were all very nice.

We would highly recommend Jacob Lake Inn as a piece of the old West. Just be sure to ask about the room amenities so you have no surprises.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LoveTravellingTLT

Reviewed January 14, 2012

Jacob Lake Inn has a great location for visiting Grand Canyon's North Rim, it's about an hour's drive to Bright Angel Point and Grand Canyon Lodge. The inn is a bit worn down with pricy snacks and souvenirs, and the restaurant and breakfast counter are also a bit on the pricy side. But for one or two days while exploring Grand Canyon, it's fine. Gas station and garage adjacent, with nothing else anywhere near here... Again, location is excellent for Grand Canyon visitors.

Room Tip: We stayed in the building in the back, by the forest. Very quiet, no traffic noise.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Summer_angel04
Reviewed January 5, 2012

This is a very rustic Inn, but comfortable. The cabins looked a little "Quaint' for our taste,
so we selected the newer motel, which was very comfortable. The best thing about this property is the wonderful restaurant. We had a great dinner (order the trout) and two breakfasts there. The pancakes are out of this world. We even left the Lodge at the North Rim early to have a second breakfast there. The ones in our party of six adults who had the French toast said it also was excellent, as were the eggs.
There is also a nice gift shop. I liked it better than the ones at the NR. There were more items done by local and area artists, not so many things from China.
We stayed here in early October, on a visit to the North Rim. If we I were to make this trip again, I would stay at this property again. Everyone that we encountered was very helpful and gracious. The servers in the restaurant were college students, and a fun group.

Room Tip: If you don't like VERY quaint, choose the motel.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank twiggycat22
Reviewed January 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed in October for two nights. There were four people at the checkin desk, none of whom paid us any attention until we loudly asked for it. Finding our cabin in the dark was difficult due to lack of lighting or good signage. The bathroom was the size of an airplane bathroom, and the room was not what I'd expect for $100 a night. They definitely have a captive clientele since they are the only game in town outside the North Rim. We ate at the counter that night and that meal and service deserve one star. My husband ordered a grilled cheese sandwich with veggies in it. When it came out it was gummy and greasy, baked hard with no veggies. Sent it back and it returned with the sandwich pulled apart and a few veggies stuck in one corner. If you had tried to make the worst grilled cheese sandwich ever, it could not have been worse. My chicken sandwich was passable. The waitress had to be reminded to give us napkins and silverware and showed no interest in earning a tip. When we paid, they made you add the tip before they rang up the credit card. When the receipt came back, the tip listed was five dollars more than I had written down. When I pointed this out, the waitress threw five dollars at me and moved on. Needless to say, we did not eat here again! I will definitely book well enough ahead next time to stay in the park!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank buttonwoodbrook
Reviewed January 4, 2012

We needed somewhere to stay while visiting the Grand Canyon North Rim and we stayed 2 night in the Jacob Lake Inn cabins. We loved the cute little cabins and the children enjoyed the palyground and the shop. We had the best meals of our trip in the restaurant (trip from Denver to Vegas and back); pricy, but worth it. Great decorations, service and location. The showers were a bit small in the cabins but over-all experience fantastic!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Hi There!

I'm not one to complain. After all, we've camped in the back country of Alaska and have traveled enough over the years to sleep in fairly rugged situations. I like that your place is rustic and at this time of the year, there are not a lot of options and your place is it.

However, we've stayed in Best Western's on our 2-week trip less than $75.00 a night and it included breakfast. I'm a capitalist at heart but if you are going to charge over $100.00 a night I would consider a few things.

#1) The showers need to be redone. The water would go from extreme HOT to extreme COLD. I'm not sure of the problem but plumbing is a real problem.

#2) The mattress's on the beds need to be replaced.

#3) The dinners could be better. They are over priced for what you get.

I guess its not a big deal when you are the only place in a 40-mile radius to be open. However, you may want to consider doing some updating for the rates you charge.

I wouldn't come back to stay even if you were the only place in a 40-mile radius. I would drive in St. George to stay and at least now I would get a more comfortable night sleep and not be overcharged.

Regards,

The Benninghoff's

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere. Mattress's need replaced.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Lynn B
Reviewed November 10, 2011

We stayed in the lodge for two nights. The room was comfortable and rustic. We had dinner in the restaurant one night and in the bar the other. Both were very good but the bar was better value. Thanks to the petrol pump attendant who recommended the chicken with cranberry and cream cheese sandwich (at the bar). It was excellent.

The staff were particularly friendly which made the stay even more enjoyable especially as the weather had turned cold and damp.

The hotel is about 40 miles from the rim and at the time of our stay the autumn colours on the drive into the park were beautiful.

Room Tip: 2nd floor room at the back of the lodge was quiet and overlooked the woods which was better than at...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Jacob Lake Inn? Share your experiences!