“Hidden costs, major disappointment”

Grand Canyon Skywalk
Book In Advance
More Info
$499.99*
and up
Skip the Line: Grand Canyon Skywalk Express Helicopter Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Walk among the clouds at the Grand Canyon Skywalk. See breath taking sights and experience the Grand Canyon like never before. Located at Eagle Point where the natural rock formation of an Eagle is prominently in view for all to see. This glass, horseshoe-shaped bridge enables visitors to walk beyond the canyon walls at Grand Canyon West, suspending them 4,000 feet above the riverbed and providing an unparalleled view of this natural wonder. Guests can purchase hot lunches, cold drinks, and snacks while visiting. Located on the Hualapai Reservation, the Skywalk is located at Eagle Point at Grand Canyon West. Visitors can enjoy the Native American Village, Traditional Bird Dancers every day and breath taking views.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Lockers / storage
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Hidden costs, major disappointment”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I have to start off by saying that this isn't a review of the Skywalk but rather the lack of transparency concerning the costs and conditions of getting to the Skywalk. It wasn't clear enough to me that you cannot get to the Skywalk unless you book a coach tour, and even then there is a supplement to get onto it. I was not the only one who was misled in this. We were prepared to pay $30 each for the Skywalk but the coach tour added another $45 on top. Then when you're told there's restrictions on food, water and cameras you think someone's having a laugh, especially considering the lengthy drive to get there. Luckily we went there as a detour from a longer journey rather than a dedicated day trip. Compare that to the Grand Canyon National Park where it's a $25 flat fee for a car to enter (there were five of us), and there are free shuttle buses around it with no one stopping you from taking a picture. Biggest disappointment of our trip and more to do with hiding costs rather than having to pay.

Visited March 2013

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great experience that could be a little scary if you are afraid of heights. If you are, just look out and enjoy the surroundings and don't look down.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Ridiculous price but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Located on the West Rim this attraction provides phenomenal views of The Grand Canyon. I especially enjoyed looking down through the glass on which you walk to see the canyon floor several thousand feet below! Awesome feeling! And even cooler to see the expressions on my son's face as my wife conquered her fear of heights.Lovely sunset here. Met very friendly people that truly made us feel at home.

portsmouth
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Expensive but great views”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

The skywalk is expensive but in itself it is a great feat of engineering, and offers some fantastic and different views of the canyon. The fact that you cannot take cameras on to the skywalk is in my opinon purely down to profit making from selling souvenier photos. I have ticked this off my list of things to do, but would not bother doing it again If I visited revisited West Rim

Visited March 2013
2 Thank surfingjelly
Gilbert, Arizona
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“need to replace the glass”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

This is the third time I visited the Skywalk to show my curious friends and family. I told everyone it's not worth it but they insist 'cause what they learned back home Skywalk is an American Wonder!? I agree with other members that the Skywalk tried really hard to rip off people, one fee to get in and other fee to get on the bridge. The food was horrible too. There is also a 21-mile unpaved rough road so get a rental car. Now they even have a metal detector so no one can slick in a phone or camera, if you want to get a picture taken by a so-called pro, it'd cost at least $30 a shot. Assuming I am OK with all the fees and traps, when I walked on the thing, it's really bad. every piece of glass got lot of scratches, worst than my stove glass top, the scratches actually severely interfere the view to the bottom. I obviously didn't get what I paid for, I wont go back again.

11 Thank ken240