“Wayyyy Overpriced...But Picture Opportunities Are Abundant”

Grand Canyon Skywalk
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Walk among the clouds at the Grand Canyon Skywalk. See breath taking sights and experience the Grand Canyon like never before. Located at Eagle Point where the natural rock formation of an Eagle is prominently in view for all to see. This glass, horseshoe-shaped bridge enables visitors to walk beyond the canyon walls at Grand Canyon West, suspending them 4,000 feet above the riverbed and providing an unparalleled view of this natural wonder. Guests can purchase hot lunches, cold drinks, and snacks while visiting. Located on the Hualapai Reservation, the Skywalk is located at Eagle Point at Grand Canyon West. Visitors can enjoy the Native American Village, Traditional Bird Dancers every day and breath taking views.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I agree that the prices charged for this attraction are obscene, however I understand that they need to make their money back somehow.
There is a long, winding dirt road on the drive in - and I have to say that it was the best part of the whole trip! Not so great in a convertible, if you have one, as it's extremely dusty, but if you're adventurous and like a bit of a thrill, it's a blast to drive on!
When you arrive at the welcome center there is the main parking lot. There is a short walk in to the gift shop where you buy your tickets. From there you take a shuttle bus to one of three drop-off points, one of them being the Skywalk itself. When you're finished at one location you pick up a shuttle to the other locations. I appreciated that in the heat and sun they provided a covered area to wait for the shuttle.
The Skywalk itself is pretty cool, however you aren't allowed to take any personal items with you on the Skywalk. The reason? They don't want items falling on the Skywalk and scuffing it up. The problem? The Skywalk is really scratched and scuffed anyway, almost to the point where it's not worth going on it at all. My suggestion? Take pictures at the edge of the Canyon. Yes, you can literally go to the very edge of the Canyon and get some excellent shots. Tip: If you have small children who like to take risks, this is NOT the place to take them!!! There are no guardrails whatsoever - just you and the bottom of the Canyon.
They have photographers available to take pictures on the Skywalk, however EVERYONE is getting their picture taken - lying down on the glass, standing in various places in various poses and you feel as if you're intruding on everyone's perfect shot. The pictures that they take are OK, depending on your photographer. You have the option to buy them, of course, however they, too, are expensive.
You have the option of buying a meal with your ticket. I say skip it. It, too, is expensive. Eat lunch or dinner ahead of time.
Is it worth it overall? Yes. Would I do it again? No.

10  Thank petstone
Write a ReviewReviews (4,211)
All reviews
in 35 reviews
"stops"
in 233 reviews

Reviewed December 22, 2012

This is the ultimate tourist trap. 'You just have to do it'. Actually no you don't. There is a good reason you are taken to Eagle Point first and its because if you went to Guano Point first you wouldn't bother with this expensive, over-hyped attraction.
You are herded on and are not allowed to take your own pictures meaning you are immediately jumped on by a camera man. (At $30 a pop the pictures are not worth it either). Then you are 'encouraged' off.
Eagle Point is a great place but just don't be suckered by this.

9  Thank Jules B
Reviewed December 18, 2012

DO NOT VISIT! ! ! Whoever considers doing skywalk, listen to my advice and stay away. I wish I had checked Tripadvisor before driving to skywalk. I would have saved myself time and avoided huge disappointment that the place turned out to be. I never imagined that two adults would be asked to pay USD 150 plus tax to see an authentic Indian village and a walk on a glass balcony ( that's all it us) !!! And you cant do the skywalk without being forced to buy a basic package that's for the Indian village. If you want to get a helicopter ride, you have to buy the mentioned village package first, then add on skywalk package before you can purchase your helicopter tour ticket. My husband and I were appalled by the rip-off prices and forcing tourists to pay for what they don't want to see. Luckily we did not arrive to Skywalk on any bus tour from Vegas and were free to leave the place having refused being robbed . By the way - the staff were ignorant when we were enquiring about different tours and prices.
We did an independent helicopter tour into the canyon, plenty of them around.

23  Thank Kasia28_12
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I would first like to state that this is an American Indian Reservation and last time I heard they are not a rich people,so I dont blame them for trying to bring in revenue to sustain their heritage and well being. That being said it is only a rip off if you choose it to be. I was disappointed when I saw the tour prices, but decided I didnt need to go into a skywalk. You literally can hang off the edge and take all the pics you want at your own risk. There are no guard rails holding you back. If I remember we paid 44 dollars per person which isnt bad to see something once in your lifetime. We hopped on a bus and saw 3 parts of the park. We ate lunch there which was 14 dollars for a huge hamburger and chicken fingers onion rings andd a drink. I'm fro NY thats a bargain. The views were outstanding. The park rangers were available for questions and very knowledgable. I also rented a car from Vegas for 70 bucks and drove it in the 14 mile dirt road that kicked up so much dust you couldnt see 2 ft in front of you...that was awesome. The rent a car was great cause you can go at your own pace and leave when you want. We didnt pay for parking and the gift shop was too pricey for a gift shop. It was a great wonder to see, A must do.

9  Thank sd102392
See more reviews
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This was the highlight of our trip to Vegas! Anyone that states on here that it was a rip off and drove here themselves should have spent a bit more and opted for the guided bus tour. The Indian tribe that runs this gorgeous park has everything down to an exact science. Your tour bus arrives at a rendezvous point and you are transferred to what I would call an "off roading" Greyhound bus run by the reservation. Cushy seats and a good suspension are required to get you to the skywalk! It's a 45 min ride to travel to the skywalk at the West Rim of the Grand Canyon. You will NOT be disappointed I you opt for the tour bus option! Do it! It is one of the wonders of the world! Worth every penny!!!!!!

3  Thank Huskyluvingal