“A Great Disappointment”

Book In Advance
More Info
$142.99*
and up
Grand Canyon West Rim and Hoover Dam Day Tour from Las Vegas with Optional...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Grand Canyon Resort Corporation is owned by the Hualapai Indian Tribe and is located in Peach Springs, Arizona. In 1988, the Hualapai Indian Tribe, which has occupied the land since 1883, established GCRC, welcoming millions of visitors each year to tour the area, including the nearby lodge, ranch, River Runners and Grand Canyon West. To further increase tourism in the area, the Grand Canyon Skywalk was built in 2007. The Skywalk is a glass, horseshoe-shaped bridge that enables visitors to walk beyond the canyon walls at Grand Canyon West, suspending them 4,000 feet above the riverbed and providing an unparalleled view of this natural wonder.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
Hertfordshire
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A Great Disappointment”
Reviewed October 12, 2007

We travelled from Kingman to the Skywalk blissfully unaware that the last 14 miles was a dirt road that was so bad that I feared for the cars suspension and our own safety.As we were travelling east we were advised by a Skywalk bus driver to take the Peach Springs road rather than go back via Kingman, which was an even worse dirt road for 29 miles.The car ended up covered in a thick pink dust that even permeated the door and boot surrounds.
On arriving at the ticket office we were told the package for 2 seniors was $150.00 plus. My travelling companion who is 75 years old was initially denied a discount, by an assistant who at best would be described as surly, because he could not prove he was over 55.He had to go back to the car park to get his passport before she would allow a discount.
We were then bussed to the Skywalk where they advised us that no cameras or mobile phones were allowed on the skywalk.The first time this was mentioned.To add insult to injury they charged a dollar per person to put your belongings in a locker.
You could pay $15.00 to have your photo taken on the Skywalk or you could buy overpriced prints in the shop.
The view from the Skywalk was okay, but not as impressive as I had expected and I can think of numerous attractions that are far
more interesting and better value than this one.
Construction work is still ongoing, so at the moment you appear to be paying full price for an incomplete attraction.The buffet lunch was disgusting, the staff generally were unhelpful,if not rude and looking for tips all along the way.
Although I have every sympathy with native americans, the rip off mentality and surliness we experienced at the Skywalk reflects badly on the Hualapai people,even if they are not to blame.

5 Thank soccerooni

• Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
SoCal
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Grand Canyon West from Las Vegas”
Reviewed October 5, 2007

-Helicopter Ride (from Rim down to River and back up): FANTASTIC (my favorite).

-SkyWalk: Pretty Good (my wife actually found this more thrilling than the Helicopter ride).

-Pontoon Boat Ride: Good (you just head up 5 or ten minutes, than come back. Nice way to spend some time down there).

-Guano Point: Pretty Good (the most scenic area. Great views.)

-Food : Not so good. (Vegas has great food these days, they aren't close in competing, bring a lot of snacks).

-Bus Ride from Vegas and back: BAD (a Cattle Call to be avoided. Helicopter there, fly there, or drive yourself. Avoid the bus ride.)

The Grand Canyon South Side is where the main "National Park stuff" is located. The West side is the Indian reservation side ("Hualapai Nation"). If you only had 1 day to do the Grand Canyon (from Vegas), I'd recommend the West side because of the Helicopter ride down and through the Canyon. Great views, and the rush of movement combined. The National Park Service has been banning Aviation stuff as much as they can over the years, and I don't believe you have any options for doing a Helicopter ride below the rim on the South side.

The most convenient (and expensive) way to do this trip would be to get a Helicopter ride from the Vegas Strip area to the Grand Canyon West area. Choose an operator like Maverick, or Sundance which has their own "Landing areas and operations" out there. You want to avoid waiting around in the Helicopter terminal area out there. We spent about an hour waiting around there after the bad bus ride experience. Next would be to fly in a plane from one of the local airports. Be careful with this second option, as some operators have managed to turn this into as much of a time wasting cattle call as the Bus ride option. The next option would be just to drive yourself out there. If you're comfortable driving on graded, gravel, washboard roads, and have a car you don't mind subjecting to that, than it's a viable option. About 2 1/2 hours each way. The Gravel road is about 13 miles long, and it has a couple sections in it that you're really going to wish you had 4x4. Don't do it if it's raining, or rained recently. Supposedly they're going to finally pave this dirt section in 2008.

5 Thank withwife
Ottawa, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Skywalk, Eagle Point, Guano Point, Hualapai Ranch”
Reviewed September 6, 2007

We went to Grand Canyon West in the Hualapai Nation over the Labor Day weekend. The first thing to note is that if you are planning to go around this time of year, it can be very hot and dry. Make sure you drink plenty of water.

It is about a 2.5 hour drive from Las Vegas, with the last 45 min on a dirt / gravel road. It has been graded, but is still quite rough. Drive with caution and not too fast as there are animals. (We saw chipmunks, coyotes, deer and cows). One unfortunate driver must have been going way to fast as his car ended up lodged on something about 12ft from the side of the road. There is no cellphone service and he was lucky that we were able to flag down a delivery truck with a radio who called for help. Even then, we did not see the sheriff come by until after a 1/2 hour. So, don't speed and be aware!

Once at the main station, there were some friendly rangers to direct you into parking and point out where to go. The ticket sales people had a very blasé attitude, though. They certainly didn't go out of their way to make you feel welcome. Aside from the main station, there are 3 destinations - Eagle Point (where the Skywalk is), Guano Point, and the Hualapai Ranch. To get from one location to another, you have to take the bus which ran from the Main terminal to Eagle Point to Guano Point and back to Main Terminal. If you wanted to skip a stop you can't - you have to get off and line up again. Also, once you board at the Main Terminal again, you have to get your ticket stamped again, so don't lose it.

We decided to go to Guano Point first to get lunch. There are picnic benches that are under cover so you can escape the blazing sun. The food is served cafeteria style and not all you can eat however the lady told me that I could go back for more. It is quite tasty, though. It was nice eating lunch outside with the Grand Canyon as a backdrop. After lunch, we hiked around and took pictures. The scenery is quite amazing, but I don't have a comparison with the Grand Canyon National Park. The one annoyance is the continual buzzing from the dozen or so helicopters flying by.

After lunch, we went to Eagle Point for the Skywalk. Being afraid of heights, the anticipation was making me nervous. However, once I got there, I have to say that I was quite disappointed. Yes, it was hard to walk on the glass - but only because my perspective was being screwed up by not having a floor to see. I walked all the way without any problem. There was no feeling of standing out in mid air. There was no feeling of being out over the canyon. You are not allowed to bring anything onto the Skywalk. I heard 2 reasons: someone dropped something and cracked the glass; someone dropped something into the canyon and threatened to sue. Both sounded weak to me. I think the real reason is that they will take pictures for you at $18 per picture or $45 for 3. The picture itself was nothing special. There is no perspective of being over a canyon. You could not see through the glass in the picture. You might as well have taken the same picture on a balcony. This was the most disappointing part of the trip. I also found out that they are planning to build a restaurant and hotel. Maybe it will be more impressive when done. (I don't know how, though).

Our third stop was at the Hualapai Ranch. By the time we got there, it was pretty much all shut down. The shows were done and "the real Harvey Wallbanger" had gone home. The ranch was rather artificial and gimmicky, but it was fun hand feeding the goats and cows. We decided to take the wagon ride. When getting tickets, they ticket lady tried to charge us, however our main entry tickets clearly included that. I was surprised that she didn't ask for the ticket instead of money, but then again, maybe not. In any case, the wagon ride was enjoyable. A Hualapai Indian rode alongside the wagon and provided narration. He talked about his land, culture and history.

All in all, it was a fun trip, but it was a clear money grab. I hope most of it does go to the natives as opposed to lining some CEO's pockets.

51 Thank valdera
Austin, TX
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Poor Road Conditions and Unexpected Park Closures”
Reviewed July 29, 2007

My husband and I drove out to see the Skywalk from Las Vegas. Nowhere on the Grand Canyon West website do they mention that Diamond Bar road (a 21 mile stretch leading to the canyon) is a DIRT ROAD. And it is not a nice dirt road. Bumpy, dusty, unforgiving.
We never saw any rain, our whole drive was clear, but when we arrive at Grand Canyon West at 6pm we were told it was "closed." I just sat there, blinking. "But we drove all this way. We're only out here for ONE day." They said, "we had bad weather. we had lightening." I looked up at the clear blue sky. I was speechless. "Can't we just take a few pictures?" we asked. "No. We're closed." I am not an emotional person, but having driven all that way and now being here, being able to actually SEE the canyon in the distance, I seriously wanted to cry.
The guy outside said we could try out luck with the fellas inside to see if they would be able to help us. We asked inside and the young men simply kept saying, "we're closed." While I waited for my husband to use the washroom I overhead one of the young men talking about a double cheese burger waiting for him at home. This was clearly a huge priority and no way was he going to let that burger wait to let us near the canyon.
They told us normally they are open until about 8pm, but they had had lightening earlier in the day so they closed. However, everyone was still there. And the weather had completely cleared. Still, there was no convincing them.
So we turned around the headed out. Keep in mind, we had called for directions and no one on the phone made any mention of bad weather or closing down.
Also keep in mind if you go, there is NO GAS for 75 miles out there. We found ourselves at 1/4 tank on the way out (the dirt road really eats up gas) and thankfully caught a local closing her chocolate shop on Pierce Ferry Road. We asked her where the closest gas station was and it was the opposite direction of Vegas, 35 minutes further east in Kingsman, AZ. We made it there on fumes, but thankfully we made it.
I do want to see the Grand Canyon - still. But when we go back, we'll be going to the South Rim. The skywalk would have been cool, but we are never going back to Grand Canyon West. We learned later, after we got back from our trip, that friends had gone to Las Vegas and skipped Grand Canyon West due to "poor road conditions and unexpected park closures." I wished I had known that before we went all the way out there.
The drive was beautiful (except for the rough road and even that was pretty, just a dusty, bumpy ride). You go right through a Joshua Tree Forest which is really amazing to see.
A bonus, we got to eat dinner on Route 66 at Mr. D'z Diner in Kingsman. That was a highlight... That place has great burgers and milkshakes. I highly recommend the milkshake. After being rejected by the GC and almost running out of gas, a milkshake was just what the Dr. ordered...

21 Thank traveler2332
Edison,New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Grand Canyon West Rim Incredible Experience”
Reviewed June 30, 2007

I Visited the Grand Canyon West Rim on June 21st. It was the first day of summer and 105 degrees. The ride is about 3 hours from Las Vegas. On the way, look out for a small pit stop called Star Country (its like a small little oasis in the middle of nowhere) There you can pack a small lunch ( the meal served at the Grand Canyon West catena was not as appetizing as one would hope.) The Hoover Dam is on the way, so you might as well take a 5 min stop to view the remarkable architect and the views. Great picture time! To get to the West Rim you have to get off the main road and get on to the dirt road. If you are renting a non SUV vehicle, be careful the dirt roads are not nice to regular to mid size cars. Once at the visiting center, owned by the Hualapai Indians, you pick up a bus pass. (cars are only allowed up to the visiting station) the bus will drive you to Eagle Point. When you get off you are allowed to walk around and take snaps. However there is one section you are not allowed to cross. The Hualapai Indians believe the Eagle Rock is sacred, so they do not want you to take pictures from the angles where the image of the face is on the rock. Do not be disheartened though there is plenty of remarkable views. You have the choice to go on the Skywalk. The cost per ticket is $26.75. The view from the skywalk is astonishing. Just walking on the skywalk was a thrill. Your standing on glass that’s 5 inches thick, walk out 70 feet from the canyon rim and looking down 4000 feet. What an adrenalin rush for the faint of heart. On the skywalk, cameras and cell phones are prohibit. Also to prevent scratches on the glass you must wear special scrub type of shoe covers. The Indians have set up two photo stations, one by the Eagle Rock View, and the other by the Colorado River View. The cost for the two pics was around $32. For one I guess it was about $18. After viewing the skywalk and while waiting for the bus we took more pictures and checked out the small jewelry bazaar the Hualapai set up. As soon as the bus came we headed out to the next point for lunch. Supposedly the lunch is a buffet, but that is not the case. As per one tribe member “you get what we serve you”. I guess with the heat rising and all the visitors trying to get some grub, customer services was not on the server’s mind. (after lunch take a walk beyond the benches, the views there are startling, unbelievable mind blowing!!) All in all the trip and experience was great, I would like to return soon and try the helicopter ride as well as the Colorado river rafting. Majority of the Hualapai were very courtesy and extremely nice. The only one suggestion I would give to the nation is to be better organized. Special if they are planning on expanding the air strip, building a museum, hotels ,and paving the road.

20 Thank prettylady81