“Would stay again.”

Holbrook / Petrified Forest KOA
Philadelphia,Pa
“Would stay again.”
Reviewed June 5, 2011

This was our first time at a KOA. We stayed in a cabin. The cabin was clean. I was impressed at how clean the bathroom/shower room was. We've stayed at other campgrounds and there are always a lot of spider webs in the bathrooms. Not here, very clean. It was pretty quiet. The owners were so friendly and nice. They have a small stand where you can get a burger if you don't feel like cooking. They also serve pancakes for breakfast. Both are a good deal. The weather was great. We were already talking about going back. They sell some souvenirs at very good prices. They also have free wifi.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Kat333

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed May 15, 2011

This was our first stay at a KOA. We've never done laundry before while camping, but an unfortunate incident on our way to Hobrook made this KOA's laundry facilities invaluable. All of the staff we interacted with througout the weekend couldn't have been nicer. They let us check in close to an hour early and upgraded us to a Super Tent site. It had all the details described by the previous reviewer plus we liked how large & private it was, the concrete patio around the fire ring, having a sink and storage closet. It was close to the playground and restrooms. We were spoiled with this site! Our 3 1/2 year old loved the old-school playground, her first time on a merry-go-round and 10-foot high slide. Other amenities we enjoyed were the pool, pancake breakfast, and on-site store. They also had a cowboy cookout dinner that smelled good but we had already planned dinners at our site so didn't partake. The restrooms were clean and fully functional. A few things here could use some updating: the game room needed a new A/C unit and the picnic tables were a tad rickety. Other reviewers complained of freeway & train noise but we had researched this and took care of this with ear plugs. We took advantage of KOA's Camp & Care special and got Saturday night free. This location was perfect the day trips we took, exploring the Petried Forest & Painted Desert National Park, Homolovi Ruins State Park, historic Route 66, Jackrabbit trading post, La Posada & Standin' On a Corner park in Winslow. Our whole family had a fun weekend. Overall, this was a great value. This KOA made a great first impression and made us fans of the KOA brand. Thank you!

Room Tip: This weekend KOA ran a yearly BOGO special.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank LuvAZTravel
Tennessee
Reviewed May 13, 2011

We arrived in Holbrook late in the afternoon and decided to stay here. On check in, the computer showed I'd stayed here several years ago. This time we were given a "Super Tent Site." There are only 2 of these and we were lucky to have one. The Super Tent Sites share a 3-sided, roofed room, divided by a partition that runs from one wall half way through the room towards a double sink with hot and cold water. Beside the sink is an electric outlet, and there are electric lights inside and outside the shelter. A large fenced in area outside the roofed room allows for several tents and privacy. On my previous stay, my site was closer to the freeway, but the Super Tent sites are at the opposite end of the campground, near the restrooms and playground. The restroom was spotless, and free wi-fi was available. The manager was very cordial and accommodating. We were so happy with the Super Tent site that we made a reservation for the night we would pass through on our return trip. The regular tent sites are fine, but the Super Tent sites are . . . well, super.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank vcv
Lees Summit
Reviewed May 10, 2011

We originally reserved a tent site at the OK RV Park down the road but quickly found it unacceptable. I remembered that the KOA also had a few tent sites so we dropped in without a reservation. The front desk attendant answered my questions and took my money but was very short and acted as if she had something else more important to do.
We found the tent site to be very nice. There is a row of grass sites which is watered to keep the grass going strong. We were told we could have the "super tent" site for no extra charge but it was bare dirt so we opted for the grass.
Overall, the park was clean and met our needs for the night. Read on for my whining if you like...
We parked next to the site and went to bed early as we had a long day of travel the next day. I'll admit we were asleep early, by 8:45, but we were startled awake at 9:30 by a group moving into the site next to us. Why they were assigned this site I am not sure. They could have been assigned a site farther down from us as no one else was using the tent sites. After 15 minutes of racket I thought maybe they had not seen our tent (it is edged with reflective material but still) so I got out and made a trip to the car. I was sure to shine my flashlight their way but they paid no heed. I checked the quiet hours and the new comers were allowed until 10:00 so my wife and I tried to sleep and eventually our new neighbors settled in as well some time shortly after 10:00.

Room Tip: Take advantage of the grass and skip the super
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nathatt
Reviewed October 8, 2010

For our first KOA experience, we stayed on a tent site of cushy grass. The women's restroom was surprisingly clean even in the evening with abundant hot water, though my travel companion said there were fleas in the men's room--eww! Be aware that this site is right off the interstate and also near a fire station so we fell asleep to the roar of big rigs and warble of sirens (we actually started to wonder whether there was some sort of mass casualty incident going on!). If you can get past that, it's a decent place to stay. Enjoy the $2 all-you-can-eat pancake-and-coffee breakfast!

• Stayed October 2010
1 Thank Libby2563
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed May 31, 2010

We enjoyed our stay. The site layouts & views were very nice. The laundry room was very clean. The staff & owners were very friendly and helpful. They have pancake breakfast as well as dinner which include hamburgers & steak. My husband had the hamburger & I had the steak both were very good. We were traveling with our 5 toy poodles asked if we could have a site away from others so we wouldn't bother anyone else and were given a site more to ourselves but still convenient to everything. We also felt our pets were just as welcome as we were. We will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank dogs5
Florida
Reviewed September 15, 2009

I rented a kamping kabin as I have rented other kamping kabins but there was no chair inside the kabin. I mentioned to the owner that I had no place to sit and he said that I would have to live with what I had. He refused to fix the problem.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank badreview4u

Travelers are raving about these Holbrook hotels